The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Vintage Ice Fishing Equipment  (Read 34498 times)

Offline mike upton

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Vintage Ice Fishing Equipment
« Reply #30 on: Feb 27, 2008, 10:02 PM »
Flaggs-
Good stuff.  I moved up here in 94, and was raised in the south.  From the day I moved here, I've become addicted to the ice.  I've always collected vintage items.  Mostly nautical.  My mother found, in Upstate NY, an ice fishing box that dates back about 120 years.  The gear is all still in the box.  some of which isn't quite 120 years old, more like 80, but it is pretty cool stuff.  I will lay it all out and get a few pictures together.  Good Post.
Upton

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 28, 2008, 06:40 AM »
Flaggs-
Good stuff.  I moved up here in 94, and was raised in the south.  From the day I moved here, I've become addicted to the ice.  I've always collected vintage items.  Mostly nautical.  My mother found, in Upstate NY, an ice fishing box that dates back about 120 years.  The gear is all still in the box.  some of which isn't quite 120 years old, more like 80, but it is pretty cool stuff.  I will lay it all out and get a few pictures together.  Good Post.
Upton
Mortgageguy...

Can't wait to see that stuff!  Thanks!

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline unoman

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 28, 2008, 03:24 PM »
wow...thats old....cant wait to see pics.....

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #33 on: Mar 03, 2008, 03:03 PM »
Flaggs-
Upton

Still waiting (with baited breath  ;D ) to see some shots! I can't even imagine what this old stuff would look like!  Hope you can still do this... 8)

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #34 on: Mar 03, 2008, 04:00 PM »
Keep this thread goin', I'm lovin' every post...
:D
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline GotABigOneYa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mark D.
« Reply #35 on: Mar 03, 2008, 06:28 PM »
that's funny I have that same jiffy auger like you said runs like a champ I paid 125 dollars for it and I love it it is wired though it has a nine inch blade does yours to? I actually paid 25 dollars because I got a so called free ice auger off craigslist come to find out it was a post hole digger sold it for 100 and bought the jiffy off a small engine guy! great deal

Offline ValleyStocker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Trout through the ice... now that's nice !!
« Reply #36 on: Mar 03, 2008, 06:37 PM »
VERY COOL, really enjoyed the posts. I am a big fan of the vintage equipment. :o

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #37 on: Mar 04, 2008, 03:24 PM »
Here's one for ya!

In the initial post of this thread, at the very end, I talked about an old Zebco scale/tape. Now honestly, I do not know how long ago I got it or how old it is, all I CAN tell you is that I have had this for as long as I can remember. Could be pre-icefishing days ???\

Anyhow TODAY, I blew off the afternoon and went down to Quinsig with my neighbor to see if the bite was on. it Wasn't  >:( (Different story)

So I went to measure the ice and plunk went my Zebco!   :woot: No bit of a lie, I stuck my arm down to my shoulder but it was GONE! S%^T !!!   :'(
In a sudden depressed state, I began to get my bearings on where I was (close to shore) so I could see if I could find it after the thaw. ???  My neighbor, Bobby was like "Just drill out a few more holes and we'll see if we can hook it or get a rake or something".

Still in a depressed state, I begin comming to the conclusion that it may be gone for good.  :'( :'( :'( More depression begins setting in when Bobby says, "Hey, what about that big magnet I have at home?" and suddenly I stood tall with chest out, and said "That's IT! So he told me where it was in the house and I made my way back home (only 1 mile or so) and picked up the magnet. :o

On the drive back to the spot, I'm finding anything steel to 'test it' and it stuck to my hook puller in my pocket real good!

Confident, I untied my jig from the Jig stick and tied on the magnet. The suspense was KILLING ME!  (you too? ;D )
Drop the thing down and did a couple swirls... NOTHING! ....S&*T >:(  :icefish:

Drop down the second time, jig off the bottom, and pulled it up slow and Voila!   ;D :woot: There it was hanging onto the magnet! :clap: :clap:

Now check out the photos, but be sure to read the ending!

Flaggs!

Here it is in all it's beauty! It is DEAD NUTS ON for weight as well!

Top Shot - It only measures 2 1/4" tall by 1 1/2" Wide - A small little thing!

OK,

So for most of you guys out there, this does not mean you bust into your BOSE 901's for the magnet! :o  But, go into your Garage, and you know those old car speakers you were going to put into that 1966 Pontiac Tempest?  ???  Ya, I know you got a pair! :roflmao: :roflmao:
Grab the magnets off them and put them in your tackle Box or sled!!!! It was the absolute life saver!  I already took a pair of speakers apart, I am GOOD_TO_GO!

I just learned the HARD WAY!  story of my life!  :clap: :thumbsup:

Flaggs!

Offline unoman

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Mar 04, 2008, 04:01 PM »
Dont worry Roger

I would have made an emergency run out there withe myh aquaview camera and found it....(hopefully)

nice rescue though...good for you....Karl

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #39 on: Mar 04, 2008, 04:04 PM »
Unoman...

I know I could always count on you!   :bow:

So, judging form not seeing any pics.... Work was too busy and couldn't get out for the Steelies,, right ;)

Flaggs!

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: Mar 04, 2008, 04:35 PM »
flaggs you're stories are the best :thumbsup:
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline unoman

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Mar 04, 2008, 04:40 PM »
no pics yet

went for some steelies yesterday afternoon...only hooked one nice one and after 2 minute fight lost him working around a chunk of ice flow coming through the river...slow day but hope for better later in the week....whenever my friend/guide gets me the pic from last week i will post....

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #42 on: Mar 04, 2008, 04:59 PM »
I am a 1956 vintage cool stuff I will have to get some of mine out I have a spoon auger that would look great on your box flags

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #43 on: Mar 04, 2008, 05:07 PM »
flaggs you're stories are the best :thumbsup:

Thanks Roncarr

Just keepin it real buddy, just keepin it real  :D
Hey, I was really looking forward to meeting you at the bartons cove event back a few weeks ago. I was indeed in the background yelling in the phone when Uno called.  Hope to meet you on the ice before we loose it all.. If not, there's always next year!  ;D

Flaggs!

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #44 on: Mar 04, 2008, 05:09 PM »
I am a 1956 vintage cool stuff I will have to get some of mine out I have a spoon auger that would look great on your box flags

Post it up there filet, would love to see it! 
This thread has turned out to be a pretty cool one... One of my favs of the season... Just LOVE this old timer stuff!

Flaggs!

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Mar 04, 2008, 07:38 PM »
flaggs,
   I used to have a Zebco tape/scale like that , but i haven't seen it since the late 70's. I'd bet mine was from the 60's. Yours must be close to that era too. I don't remember... Did you say when ya got it? Save me from re-reading all these posts again.. :)

Let's see more stuff. And I'm gonna have to go search around the garage too. ;)
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #46 on: Mar 04, 2008, 08:22 PM »
flaggs,
   I used to have a Zebco tape/scale like that , but i haven't seen it since the late 70's. I'd bet mine was from the 60's. Yours must be close to that era too. I don't remember... Did you say when ya got it? Save me from re-reading all these posts again.. :)

Let's see more stuff. And I'm gonna have to go search around the garage too. ;)
MnSport..

I can't remember when I got it. All I can say with certainty is, I have had it for as long as I remember... Definately 60s. I am 52 so its got to be early to mid 60s

Just WICKED happy I was able to retireve it with the magnet!!! ;D

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Mar 05, 2008, 11:48 AM »
Glad to see that your recovery was successful! :D

& Nice avatar pic!
;)

Offline minnow1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Mar 07, 2008, 08:32 AM »
Anyone have any ice fishing decoys?  They are listed on ebay and are pretty cool and some are worth a lot of $$.

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #49 on: Mar 07, 2008, 08:52 AM »
i still have my first fishin' pole.
my father had it in his yard sale a couple of years ago for $2. i grabbed it and restored/cleaned it up.

1960 Zebco

i'm going to spool up some line and go fish when ice is gone..

Lenz
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline ValleyStocker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Trout through the ice... now that's nice !!
« Reply #50 on: Mar 07, 2008, 03:03 PM »
I have my grandfathers fresh water rod and reel that he always used on our fishing trips. He passed away in 1977  when I was 11 years old. I pretty much retired it next to his 1976 Pa. fishing license, but every once in a while, I take it fishing for a day.

I also have some old pike fishing decoys, pretty sharp, but like every thing old, they aren't cheap.

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #51 on: Mar 07, 2008, 09:18 PM »
well.... I showed you mine so you have to show me yours!  Check that... Got pics?   ;D

Flaggs!

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #52 on: Mar 08, 2008, 07:25 AM »
don"t have any old equipment but i am vintage and well seasoned,does that count?
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #53 on: Mar 08, 2008, 09:39 AM »
don"t have any old equipment but i am vintage and well seasoned,does that count?

MikeT... Got pics?   ;D

Yesterday, I broke this out of the shed to check Ice on my lake and figured, what the hell... Might as well complete the ensemble. You won't find these at the sports store or bait shops anymore!

This is my original Ice pick from back in the 60's.  This is it though.. no more old stuff for Ice fishing... I sure would like to see some of that vintage stuff that you talk about there MortgageGuy!  Got that stuff on film yet?

This should bring a few more posts... Post up your old chippers!   ;D

Flaggs!

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #54 on: Mar 08, 2008, 09:43 AM »
ah, brings back lots of memories thats for sure, real nice. flaggs
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline Imissedem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Mar 08, 2008, 11:56 AM »
My vintage Fishing Gear down at the Bar,The fly rods on the wall are pretty old /the bamboo one was my great uncles from Prince Edward Island Canada./The other one is a octagon copper telescopic fly rod.Along with my old lures hanging there.The vintage Tilts and Basket Sled.I just love collecting this old fishing gear.KEEP THEM POSTS COMING.

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #56 on: Mar 08, 2008, 12:05 PM »
Looks to me like the ultimate MAN TOWN! (I assume the 50' DLP is behind you right!   :laugh:

Really nice collection! What's really nice, is you have a place to display it!

I am building a 24x24 garage with loft (for my vintage VWs) and hope to have a Man Town in there (current garage (1 bay) is my mechanics shop.. no room).

Ya, keep them coming... Like most people on this thread, I  feel these old, vintage items are to DIE for! 

Nice Post there Imissdem!  Thanks!

Flaggs!

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #57 on: Mar 08, 2008, 12:18 PM »
i have some old, old gear but no pics, when i take some pics i will definitely post them because it brings back so many memories seeing some of the things you fella"s post. i have a couple old Penn boat reels, an old pole that i matched up with this sears and roebuck reel. it actually looks pretty much like the old school Penn's. and its actually pretty new looking, pretty smooth to i might add. i will take some pics and get back to you guys.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline Imissedem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Mar 09, 2008, 07:35 PM »
Come on now someone else out there must have some old gear to show off.Just located somemore old traps that used to be my grandfathers.Now i just gotta convince my brother to give 1 or 2 of them up.They should definately be in the 100 year old range/cant wait to snag em.I will be posting those pics also when i get them.So anyways lets see some more stuff guys/Hate to loose this posting.

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #59 on: Mar 09, 2008, 08:22 PM »
Check this out!  I am bidding on some vintage VW stuff and stumbled across this old girl!  I have no idea how old it is but its selling up on ebay for opening at 99 bucks! It does not run (but give me some time with her and she'll be hummin). If you buy it, I'll get it running for you!   ;D

Don't know what year it is either but if you send the seller a question, he may have more info on it. I pulled it just cause it is so cool!
Here is what the guy posted as a description. For 100 bucks and free labor from me (parts not included) to get her going, this could be the vintage find of the century!

"It is a tanaka Ice fishing gas auger. It has good compression but I cannot start it and would not know where to begin. Looks like it was well maintained but it is dusty from years of storage. Uses standard Mora 7" auger bit and blades. Model is P-7 tanaka motor. Sold as is. Great deal for the Handyman!!"

The auction ends in 2 days... here is the url from ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-tanaka-Ice-fishing-fish-auger-Mora-blade-7-WOw_W0QQitemZ300204735121QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300204735121#ebayphotohosting

What a beauty!

Seriously...

if you want to buy this, I will do all the research and get it running real nice.  ;)
I just restored a 1954 Evinrude 2 cylinder, 7.5 hp that I got for 25 bucks at a yard sale. I found and purchased both the original parts and repair manual from a printer and was actually able to find parts from a place down the cape! It runs the Balls!

This would be mint to see this punching through the ice! Would'nt it? :o

Flaggs!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.