The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Vexilar fl 28  (Read 8370 times)

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Vexilar fl 28
« Reply #30 on: Mar 06, 2015, 06:13 AM »
nothing worse than getting to the ice and realizing you have forgot you're electronics, heart breaking!
Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Mar 06, 2015, 06:46 AM »
nothing worse than getting to the ice and realizing you have forgot you're electronics, heart breaking!

Never say never, but it hasn't happened to me yet! 

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Mar 06, 2015, 06:47 AM »
 ;D  Have fun with your LX-7   Marcum provides good products.   I will stay with my FL20 only because I don't like a unit with too many options .
Both the FL28 and LX-7 will obviously take time to get used to.  Unless your color blind, I see no need to the complicated color pallet on either unit.   I do like the cone angle selection on the Marcum.   
Keep us up to date on your learning process.   For $700 either brand is probably more than my wife will ever let me spend ::)

Dick

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Mar 06, 2015, 07:01 AM »
LOL on the wife not letting you spend that much. marcum has a new system that is coming out called the rt9 thing looks amazing basically a tablet attached to your system you can add multiple wireless cameras to it so you can monitor multipel holes with out having to be next to them, run more than one ducer off it at a time so that you can share with your kid/buddy/or lady friend, you can also use it for you're navionics oh and you can use it just like you would a tablet from my understanding! It will only set you back 1600 with no cameras or extra ducer included! each pan cam will run an extra 350, the open water ducer for it is another 380. If only we were all rich right?

;D  Have fun with your LX-7   Marcum provides good products.   I will stay with my FL20 only because I don't like a unit with too many options .
Both the FL28 and LX-7 will obviously take time to get used to.  Unless your color blind, I see no need to the complicated color pallet on either unit.   I do like the cone angle selection on the Marcum.   
Keep us up to date on your learning process.   For $700 either brand is probably more than my wife will ever let me spend ::)

Dick

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Mar 06, 2015, 07:42 AM »
Unless your color blind, I see no need to the complicated color pallet on either unit.   

When fishing 50fow its nice to see the thin blue line below your jig, telling you your spikes are still there, without then needing to reel up and visually check it.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Mar 06, 2015, 09:49 AM »
would you not agree that lcd and the ability to upgrade your firmware is not an improvement on technology? being able to see what your cone is covering at the depth you are at, being able to see a traditional dial a zoom table and a water column table all at the same time. and the ability to upgrade the firm ware on the lx7 and basically make it a lx9 and add a camera to it.

I work in enterprise software so I know full well what frimware releases are about.  They are bug fixes, changes to the code to improve functionality.  It shows me marcum can't come up with a final release that will satisfy users for an extended period of time.  No thank you!  I personally can't agree that knowing my cone coverage is actually helpful.  I'd like to know a real world example of how it is just for comparison sake.  But again updating firmware us no selling point to me.

Dick if you fished with one before passing that judgement you'd clearly see where being able to use more or less colors (keeping in mind that more colors means better ability to identify targets and determine their size) is helpful.  To say otherwise without having actually having had a chance to see the advantages in real life is well...not very helpful. 

Oh and the weed mode is absolutely incredible...

Also lets see.  Vex has 1/4 target id vs 1/2 on the marcum.  The lx7's dual beam only shoots 2 different cones where as the vex with proview ducer is more flexible...turn up the gain and the cone widens!  No need to understand which angle is best in which depth. 

Like I said I played with both and while the lx7 is flashy with is screen the technology doesnt compare.  Not even close.  At the end of the day both will work fine. 

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Mar 06, 2015, 10:16 AM »
You are correct that updates do fix bugs.  Features such as 6 color mode, manual dynamic range, chart zoom, transducer offset etc have come from the upgrades as well. 

Target ID is how big a target needs to be to show up as a mark on the flasher. Target separation is how far a target needs to be from another target in order to show up as two separate marks.

I agree, end of the day both work fine.  Cant knock Vex they make a great product.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #37 on: Mar 06, 2015, 10:42 AM »
Ya and I'd accidentally smash the lx7 screen without question so that was a major deciding factor.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Mar 06, 2015, 11:42 AM »
Ya and I'd accidentally smash the lx7 screen without question so that was a major deciding factor.

Haha, I haven't done that yet, but I baby it pretty well.  Its a glorified laptop really, and should be treated as such... For the most part.

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Mar 06, 2015, 04:27 PM »
You sir sound like a statistician bending the numbers in a way that makes your argument look favorable! just saying! You yourself say that firm ware is there to change code to help "improve functionality" can a vex improve its functionality?
I work in enterprise software so I know full well what frimware releases are about.  They are bug fixes, changes to the code to improve functionality.  It shows me marcum can't come up with a final release that will satisfy users for an extended period of time.  No thank you!  I personally can't agree that knowing my cone coverage is actually helpful.  I'd like to know a real world example of how it is just for comparison sake.  But again updating firmware us no selling point to me.

Dick if you fished with one before passing that judgement you'd clearly see where being able to use more or less colors (keeping in mind that more colors means better ability to identify targets and determine their size) is helpful.  To say otherwise without having actually having had a chance to see the advantages in real life is well...not very helpful. 

Oh and the weed mode is absolutely incredible...

Also lets see.  Vex has 1/4 target id vs 1/2 on the marcum.  The lx7's dual beam only shoots 2 different cones where as the vex with proview ducer is more flexible...turn up the gain and the cone widens!  No need to understand which angle is best in which depth. 

Like I said I played with both and while the lx7 is flashy with is screen the technology doesnt compare.  Not even close.  At the end of the day both will work fine.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Mar 07, 2015, 01:29 AM »
You sir sound like a statistician bending the numbers in a way that makes your argument look favorable! just saying! You yourself say that firm ware is there to change code to help "improve functionality" can a vex improve its functionality?

You know what statisticians sound like?  Weird?! Actually I am in sales so sure there might be some spin in my post but honestly,  I really don't care all that much.  Was fun to post about it bored at work,  but now I could delete all the posts on the topic and move on.  Its time to go fishing! (sorry you probably wanted me to argue)

I do notice you don't mind being free advertising for marcum, which in and of itself has me laughing pretty hard this morning. 

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Mar 07, 2015, 06:44 AM »
you were up early you must have one hell of a drive to the ice!

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Mar 07, 2015, 11:19 AM »
awesome! marcum really does make a great product. IMO the ability to update your stuff is huge!

::) ???  Smelty,   I assume that your are about to upgrade your Showdown to a LX-7?

Dick

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Mar 08, 2015, 06:31 PM »
Hell no gonna wait till the rt-9 comes out lol
::) ???  Smelty,   I assume that your are about to upgrade your Showdown to a LX-7?

Dick

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #44 on: Mar 09, 2015, 10:25 AM »
you were up early you must have one hell of a drive to the ice!

Yes sir I was.  6 hours round trip from CT to lake George and back.  Probably why I was laughing....loopy with no sleep.

Offline jmillsp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 10, 2015, 05:20 PM »
I have a FL-18,10 yrs old or older,absolutely no problems with it,except for a new battery,If I had to buy a new one I would go with FL-22 or a 28.  Vex's are bullet proof and their service is hard to beat,when you call them you get a real person. at their office,and when I called it was the guy who designed the unit. cool.I do like the 3-angle transducer that I bought last year as an add on.It lets you manually set the cone angle for the situation.It has not given me any problems yet,either.My advice would be to buy the best one you can afford but a zoom is a must if you fish for perch or other bottom dwellers.
Better go with the 28 because they don't make the 22 anymore unless you want to buy mine!
KeepfishN4fun

Offline didyamounteryet?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Nov 28, 2017, 07:41 PM »
the flx 28 is great and the friends i go fishing with all have vexilars, one even has an old fl8 over 15 plus years old still works like it did when it came out the box. always innovating never immatating. a friend of mine wanted to go with marcum but he heared that they dont last as long as vexilars and they are not as durable as vexilar. why not go with something that will last forever and you can pass down to your kids one day.

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Nov 28, 2017, 09:19 PM »
I’ve had my 18 for over 10 years, a new battery and set of brushes is all it’s needed to help me catch thousands of fish....
K eep
I t
S imple
S tupid

All that other stuff is for fishers of men to be successful in their pursuit!

Nuff said.....

Hope everyone stays safe and enjoys many tight lines this year!

Offline GB 83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Nov 29, 2017, 07:16 AM »
Yep, like my 22 but love my 28! The weed mode is a great great feature. Plus for my wife. Super easy for her to use. Just put the 28 on auto.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Nov 29, 2017, 07:58 AM »
Dylan,  If you can afford the FLX28  buy it!  But I am happy with 3 colors and I would rarely  use the variable zoom setting.  I am old enough that the small noise from the old vexilars is nothing that I hear anymore?  I'll replace my FL20 when it dies??? 
Dick

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #50 on: Nov 29, 2017, 12:57 PM »
Fl20 is a good unit.  For what its worth Bigredonice beats me shamelessly laker jigging with with a fl8 hes had forever. 

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Nov 30, 2017, 07:50 AM »
 ???  Can you give me some idea of the benefits of the new brushless  screen display??
I'm thinking long lasting rather than noise?
Dick

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #52 on: Nov 30, 2017, 10:32 PM »
Cant speak to the brushless part...aside from of your buddy drops it from hos truck...it makes noise like an old one!  The new display seems to me to be easier to read.  The colors are useful if your tryong to decipher size of the target.  So even if you only fish the range you mentioned, dick, and only for panfish it would help.  It further differentiates small fish from larger ones not only by the size of the mark but also the color.  So you may have a bunch of faint white lines (smelt lets say) with some thicker blue lines below (perch let's say) then near the bottom a couple of red returns (maybe lakers).  Ive marked something as small as a smelt head over 100ft and being able to see that level of detail is helpful. 

All that said...i still get whooped by someone with a fl8 when fishing lakers so it really comes down to preference. 

My flx needs a tune up.  In all likelyhood I will grab a fl20 slap my proview on it and use it until the flx gets back.  I thought about trying a lx7 but I would probably smash it quickly or get tired of updating it...

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Dec 01, 2017, 07:36 AM »
What does the X stand for?   I still have my fl8 just in case my fl20 fails after a decade?
Both have batteries that are all charged!
Dick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.