New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONONDAGA LAKE ICE FISHING  (Read 3627 times)

Offline woodburn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
ONONDAGA LAKE ICE FISHING
« on: Jan 14, 2009, 08:54 PM »
I LIVE 3 BLOCKS FROM ONONDAGA LAKE. I KEPT MY BOAT IN THE MARINA FOR TWO YEARS AND HAVE SEEN IMPROVEMENT IN THE WATER QUALITY AND FISH POPULATIONS. I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAD TRIED TO ICE FISH THERE AT ALL. THE CITGO BASS TOURNAMENT FOLKS RATED IT IN THE TOP TWENTY LAKES IN THE COUNTRY FOR BASS AND THERE SEEMS TO BE A DIVERSITY OF FISH POPULATION THERE. JUST WONDERING!!!!

Offline Gotalimit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep moving till you find em!!!
Re: ONONDAGA LAKE ICE FISHING
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2009, 09:03 PM »
It's full of fish but you wouldn't want to eat anything out of there. Supposedly there are tons of mercury sitting on the bottom. Hence the cleanup that is going on.

Offline hitchcos

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2009, 08:14 AM »
lots of fish, but that ice is likely to be real sketchy. 

Offline hoythunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2009, 09:07 AM »
well ive heard the best way to eat an ononadaga lake fish is to hang it in the freezer by the tail and wait for the mercury to drop and then cut the head off and your good to go   ;D ;D ;D

Offline thompson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2009, 04:53 PM »
i saw a waleye floating there that had to be 7lbs

Offline SUNYESF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2009, 05:07 PM »
We've pulled out several 8 - 10lb walleyes w/ gill nets and boat electroshocking, now and then we would roll monster tiger muskies, too big for the nets, the lake is full of big fish but I wouldn't eat them yet

Offline KgBnY315

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2009, 05:36 PM »
It's full of fish but you wouldn't want to eat anything out of there. Supposedly there are tons of mercury sitting on the bottom. Hence the cleanup that is going on.
2nd most polluted lake in the world supposedly. wouldnt eat them but good for selling. ;)

Offline hoythunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2009, 05:42 PM »
good thing i dont buy any fish or order any from the resturaunts .you just cant trust people with anything any more .just think you are selling toxic fish that someons little kid could eat and get realy sick from at least i know it wont be mine. >:( >:( >:(

Offline jt13077

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2009, 08:27 PM »
We've pulled out several 8 - 10lb walleyes w/ gill nets and boat electroshocking, now and then we would roll monster tiger muskies, too big for the nets, the lake is full of big fish but I wouldn't eat them yet

I think I was with you when we rolled the tigers,  don't eat the WHHHHHHITE PERCH!! 

Offline perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2009, 06:51 AM »
2nd most polluted lake in the world supposedly. wouldnt eat them but good for selling. ;)

I hope you're kidding... Otherwise, why don't you just start injecting cyanide into children's tylenol bottles.  That lake has a long way to go.  I worked on the remediation efforts of Onondaga Lake for 2 years and the effort is going really well.  The earliest estimation that fish could be eaten from Onondaga Lake is 10 years, & that is a complete OPTIMISTIC GUESS!!!  DO NOT eat any Onondaga Lake Fish!!!!

Offline lcrep2000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2009, 07:38 AM »
The fish should be preserved with salt and mercury, that makes for good eating, and they should smoke well also.

Offline powdiddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • what is it ? its fighting like a submarine
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2009, 07:42 AM »
isnt there a deeper area just out of the mouth of the river on the park side.havent fished it in a couple years but my uncle got 2 eyes over 7 pounds in that spot out of his boat if its the place i am thinking of.cant remember how deep it is.

Offline jt13077

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2009, 08:37 AM »
There are 2 deep spots in the lake, one on the south end and one on the north end.  Both are about 60 feet deep.

Offline KgBnY315

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2009, 02:06 PM »
I hope you're kidding... Otherwise, why don't you just start injecting cyanide into children's tylenol bottles.  That lake has a long way to go.  I worked on the remediation efforts of Onondaga Lake for 2 years and the effort is going really well.  The earliest estimation that fish could be eaten from Onondaga Lake is 10 years, & that is a complete OPTIMISTIC GUESS!!!  DO NOT eat any Onondaga Lake Fish!!!!
all that crap can be cooked out of them and how do you know where the fish your eating come from ? DEC says your able to eat fish from the lake but no more than 1 meal a month

______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ________
Waters with changes from the 2007-2008 Health Advisories are underlined.
Numbers in brackets refer to map on page 21 or 22.
Women of childbearing age, infants and children under the age of 15 should not eat any fish
from the waters listed above.
Water (County) Species Recommendations
Chemical(s) of
Concern
Walleye Eat none Mercury
Largemouth bass over 15”,
and smallmouth bass over
15”
Eat none Mercury, PCBs
Carp, channel catfish, white
perch
Eat no more than one meal
per month
Dioxin, PCBs,
Mercury
Onondaga Lake [13]
(Onondaga)
All other species and
smaller largemouth and
smallmouth bass
Eat no more than one meal
per month

Offline BCFOOS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2009, 03:00 PM »
Its really shocking if you would ever fish there to see how many people bring fish home.  Youll almost always find people keeping fish they catch under the thruway bridge and one lane bridge granted that your starting to get into the river I would still never trust it.

Offline SUNYESF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2009, 04:09 PM »
The rock piers at the outlet have good drop-offs, get alot of walleyes shocking within 25 feet of them at night, lots of people do eat the fish from the lake, mostly pumpkinseed from what ive seen.  Some of the walleyes in onondaga that are tagged by either the county or ESF are caught in Oneida every spring, so I know some of the those big walleyes that are caught in oneida are being eaten and they might be a onondaga fish

Offline KgBnY315

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2009, 08:40 PM »
Its really shocking if you would ever fish there to see how many people bring fish home.  Youll almost always find people keeping fish they catch under the thruway bridge and one lane bridge granted that your starting to get into the river I would still never trust it.
lol those fish are stacked under there eating the pidgeon crap for most of the summer into fall. another reason not to eat them. but catch slob callies by the wooden dock that the rigotta people launch at an hour b4 sun up

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.