Author Topic: Garmin Panoptix Ice Bundle : First Impressions  (Read 10447 times)

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Garmin Panoptix Ice Bundle : First Impressions
« on: Dec 06, 2019, 09:24 AM »
I don't know if spending a month's salary on a fishfinder was wise but we will see. Got my Garmin Panoptix out on the ice for the first time and thought I would share my initial thoughts.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Re: Garmin Panoptix Ice Bundle : First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2019, 12:45 PM »
Thanks for the review! Looks kool but not kool enough to drop that kind of cash!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2019, 01:07 PM »
I don't know if spending a month's salary on a fishfinder was wise

OH YES IT IS!! I want Livescope so bad it's not funny.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2019, 09:23 AM »
Thanks for the video! You do an excellent job….very professional.

I’m looking forward to the next one. Would it be possible to demo the zoom function? I’m very curious to see if zoom helps to track your lure in deeper water. I have the older Echomap Chrip, and I’m trying to decide if zoom is worth the upgrade to the Plus unit, and extra power consumption.

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2019, 09:27 AM »
I got my ice bundle (with the echomap chirp, not plus) last year, and now I’m kicking myself for not waiting for livescope, but absolutely worth it as long as your get year round use out of it. During open water, I have it either on my trolling motor or on a length of 3/4in pvc I stick in a trolling motor bracket
Oh, I’d recommend getting rid of the history graph on the left there, it’ll open up your screen for better viewing. I also highly recommend getting a lithium battery for it, half the weight and now with more power capacity from Amped Outdoors.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2019, 09:29 AM »
Livescope all the way.....

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2019, 11:18 AM »
Livescope all the way.....

Ditto!
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2019, 11:20 AM »
Why is livescope better?

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2019, 11:24 AM »
Why is livescope better?

Like a real-time ultrasound of the lake and fish therein.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2019, 12:23 PM »
Like a real-time ultrasound of the lake and fish therein.

If you can see fish moving toward your bait whats it matter if it's a blob or fish looking? Based on videos I'm just not seeing the advantage.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2019, 12:31 PM »
If you can see fish moving toward your bait whats it matter if it's a blob or fish looking? Based on videos I'm just not seeing the advantage.

Some of the videos I have seen the detail is so good you can tell the actual fish species. That's amazing to me.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2019, 12:41 PM »
Some of the videos I have seen the detail is so good you can tell the actual fish species. That's amazing to me.

Ya, I guess knowing the species could help with what baits you are going to use, but most of us are targeting something specific anyway.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2019, 12:55 PM »
Biggest benefit of live scope is you can see structures in detail, and if there’s fish in the weeds. Regular panoptix will show everything as lines or blobs, livescope will show you rocks, branches, and what the structure is. Jump to 6:40 to see the side by side

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2019, 01:20 PM »
Ya, I guess knowing the species could help with what baits you are going to use, but most of us are targeting something specific anyway.

I can see walley slithering on the bottom from 30-50 feet out and adjust my jigging accordingly....I can see them live with almost unnoticeable delay when they strike.....I can see and determine different species in the area and adjust fishing accordingly. Big difference between how perch, walley and northern attack the bait. I didn't see all that possible with panoptix, at least not in that level of detail.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2019, 01:13 AM »
Livescope is pretty awesome, to bad its out of my price range....
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline cropee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2019, 11:17 PM »
Ok i need some help I got my ps22 on the ice this weekend fishing for perch and walleyes in sd. I also had my markum lx6 unit in use three holes markum in one with a jig the panoptix in the middle and another jig in the third hole. I seriously found the ps22 cannot compare to the lx6. Fish within 9” of the bottom could not be seen with the ps22. Also i could not see my jig in bottom 9” of water. I adjusted my trails and it helped a bit. Understand i could see fish on my lx6 that would not be visable with the garmin unit. Also my jigs were difficult to see while jigging. Any advice on settings please help. Also when searching side view the bottom is so choppy no way you could see a fish with in 3 foot of the bottom. Please help

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2019, 08:11 AM »
Ok i need some help I got my ps22 on the ice this weekend fishing for perch and walleyes in sd. I also had my markum lx6 unit in use three holes markum in one with a jig the panoptix in the middle and another jig in the third hole. I seriously found the ps22 cannot compare to the lx6. Fish within 9” of the bottom could not be seen with the ps22. Also i could not see my jig in bottom 9” of water. I adjusted my trails and it helped a bit. Understand i could see fish on my lx6 that would not be visable with the garmin unit. Also my jigs were difficult to see while jigging. Any advice on settings please help. Also when searching side view the bottom is so choppy no way you could see a fish with in 3 foot of the bottom. Please help

I have the Livescope, but assume there is not much difference in set-up for the 22.  Make sure your transducer is physically set properly for either down view or forward view depending on which one you want to use, then confirm your head unit is in that same mode.  If you are in forward view watching a hole, set the distance you can see forward no more than 30' or 40' at the most, if not less, if you are in the search mode then you can set it to automatic or a greater distance, in down view the same applies, do not try to set it too far out. Set the depth manually, not automatic, to just below the depth of the water you are fishing in (if you are in 20', set it to 22').  Make sure your transducer is straight up and down in the hole, not tilted, turn the transducer to the position that will best show your bait, it may not be exactly where you think it should be.  Don't try to fine tune out too much clutter to begin with, take that slowly and do only as much as needed as you are tuning it in.  I am not a fan of trails, it creates too much clutter, but that is just my opinion.

There are other things that enter into it, but the main thing is that you just have to play with it to see what each push of a button does, do not try to filter out to much to begin with, only fine tune as needed.  You will get it figured out, then it will all come together.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2019, 08:14 AM »
Skywagon’s advice is pretty much the same way I use my Livescope.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2019, 01:42 PM »
I can’t justify spending that much on those units. Way too much to adjust, mess with for me.  If fish come on the screen, what makes you think those fish are going to bite? And, if they don’t bite...nice that you can see the direction they’re going in. So, let’s pack up and chase fish that don’t bite. Those units won’t catch you more fish... no more than  a vex fl-8 will. I fish with mid level graphs and have out-fished guys with those Garmin units. Even heard of guys selling those units, who are in fact seasoned anglers. Just my opinion...
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2019, 01:46 PM »
I can’t justify spending that much on those units. Way too much to adjust, mess with for me.  If fish come on the screen, what makes you think those fish are going to bite? And, if they don’t bite...nice that you can see the direction they’re going in. So, let’s pack up and chase fish that don’t bite. Those units won’t catch you more fish... no more than  a vex fl-8 will. I fish with mid level graphs and have out-fished guys with those Garmin units. Even heard of guys selling those units, who are in fact seasoned anglers. Just my opinion...

You are right...I am thinking of selling my 7 inch to get the larger 9 inch screen with recording.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2019, 02:07 PM »
  If fish come on the screen, what makes you think those fish are going to bite? And, if they don’t bite...nice that you can see the direction they’re going in. So, let’s pack up and chase fish that don’t bite.

That part is frustrating, you do end up seeing how many more fish actually come over to check out your lure or just go by without paying any attention.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2019, 02:08 PM »
 King perch how did the bass tourneys go fishing against guys using panoptix?

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2019, 02:12 PM »
That part is frustrating, you do end up seeing how many more fish actually come over to check out your lure or just go by without paying any attention.

Same thing with my AquaVu camera. They don’t always bite but I get incrementally better at getting some to bite.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2019, 02:35 PM »
Definitely helped me catch more fish due to seeing more of how the fish react. Comparing it to seeing fish on a vex isn't really comparable.  More comparable to a camera imo but yes even then sometimes they still won't bite

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2019, 03:20 PM »
King perch how did the bass tourneys go fishing against guys using panoptix?
In our tourneys... only one guy left with that unit. Some elite and open anglers used them. Like a couple guys mentioned here... tough at times to get them dialed in. The anglers spent time adjusting not focusing on fishing. I didn’t post to put anybody’s undies in a bunch. We’re simply posting first impressions. I’ve waited awhile since the introduction of Panoptix to post my opinion, based on other angler input. I’m going by what anglers have to say about them. My son and I are exposed to a lot of input during the open water bass season. And, I’ve been on boats as a co-angler, that boaters I’ve  fished with who had them. I know of a couple of ice anglers who got rid of them. What may be good for some, may not be good for others.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 15, 2019, 03:31 PM »
You are right...I am thinking of selling my 7 inch to get the larger 9 inch screen with recording.
So you can watch those fish on a larger screen go right by your bait? Then, push rewind to watch again? Makes sense....Lol!!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 15, 2019, 03:39 PM »
So you can watch those fish on a larger screen go right by your bait? Then, push rewind to watch again? Makes sense....Lol!!

I do that back home with popcorn as I relive the highlights of the day. Warm and toasty after a meal of Lakers. To be fair I also include the AquaVu highlights if I have some of those as well.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2019, 03:40 PM »
I do that back home with popcorn as I relive the highlights of the day. Warm and toasty after a meal of Lakers.
👍🏻

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 15, 2019, 05:00 PM »
I do have to admit, when I’m in the boat, I sometimes focus too much on what I’m trying to see or find on the sonar instead of just throwing a cast lol.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2019, 09:23 AM »

So with your "mid level graphs" or vex fl-8 are you able to put the transducer in the hole, look around and see a school of fish 100' or more away, pace over to where the fish are indicated and drill a hole right over them?  Could this possibly be a benefit to a fisherman?  You will get more physical exercise drilling holes randomly without the benefit of Panoptix if that is your goal, but you may not have as much luck finding fish.  If you do find fish, how many you catch is a function of the individual fisherman's skill.

"Even heard of guys selling those units, who are in fact seasoned anglers."  I have heard of many people selling their Panoptix units, most because they are upgrading to Livescope and/or a larger screen size.

In the end Panoptix/Livescope is not for everyone, some cannot justify or afford it, but it is a tool that has allowed this ice fisherman to catch more fish than I ever did with a flasher, or graph.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.