Author Topic: This Saturday  (Read 1297 times)

Offline rat-l-trap

• Team IceShanty Regular
This Saturday
« on: Feb 04, 2015, 06:15 AM »
Planning on going  out of Catawaba on Sat...3 hr. drive for us...Can anyone tell me if you can still get out with all the snow..bringing a quad..Havent been there in around 20 yrs...So safety is my top priority...If you can share a little info I would be truly grateful..PM me if you like...Thx

Offline jrjr23

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: This Saturday
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2015, 06:27 AM »
I'm not there to give you first hand information, but based on what I've heard from others I don't think a quad will do the job.  Now, by this weekend the trails could be blazed and travel could improve, but it sounds like sleds are the way to go for now.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2015, 12:11 PM »
I was out last night from 4-7 with a quad and we got out just fine off Catawba.  There is a nice path.  There are a few drifts, but nothing impassable.  The conditions were much better than me or my buddy were expecting.  We kept 6 fish, threw back 4 or 5 more 14 inchers and lost a bunch more.  I'm not that experienced, but the best 3 hours of ice fishing I've ever had.  With the nice weather forecasted for Saturday, it's going to be a zoo.  I'll probably be going up too.  Good luck!

Offline Ralph42222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2015, 03:35 PM »
Going out tomorrow and Friday will update you

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Well Done is Better than Well Said"(Ben Franklin)
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2015, 05:33 PM »
There is plenty of ice,  close to a foot. Stay away from Mouse Island High current area.

The snow will be a factor with a quad.  You need 4x4 and chains make a difference.  I've seen guy's get stuck in quads and have to rock and push to get out.  I think by the week end there will be some major compaction by all the troops. If you venture of to far dodge the drifts.
I am throwing a small shovel in my sled in case I bottom out, that is when I get stuck.  We are getting some more snow also, but I think your trip will be worthwhile.   

I bet there will be someone with a quad and a plow out there too, it may not lead to where you want to got but I've seen that before.

Good luck

Offline rat-l-trap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2015, 09:26 AM »
thx for the replies ...we decided to wait till the 21st..by then the paths should be in great shape as long as there is no more snow...thanks again and I hope to meet a few of you on the 21st...stay safe and have fun

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.