The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: What Fish?  (Read 2722 times)

Offline Ocean Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
What Fish?
« on: Jan 29, 2007, 12:21 AM »
I you could go on a fishing trip for something different what would it be.  For me, I would love to battle a huge Yellowfin Tuna.  Those things look like a riot to catch.  Someday!!!!!! Later KR

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
Re: What Fish?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2007, 09:49 AM »
...in Alaska, one of those monster halibut!  ;D
                                                     Th' "Don"

Offline pathfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2007, 10:21 AM »
I would go to one of those fly-inn lakes and catch the wally's till my arm fell off.

But i have always wanted to go halibut fishing in Alaska!!! Good call ex-lt

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2007, 10:32 AM »
Hey PF, let's fly in to Alaska, take Ocean Eyes with us, split the costs and do both!!!!! hee-hee Naaaah...those bush-pilots scare th' bajabbers outta me!  :roflmao:

Offline wyohookset

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Where'd I put that gas can?
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2007, 11:30 AM »
Alaska halibut fishing can be very affordable if you do like my wife and I have the past coupla years.  We go during the "shoulder season" (before Memorial Day).  Everything almost doubles in price after that.  Weather is great in May with very long days (17-18hrs of sunshine).  We fly from Denver non-stop to Anchorage then drive down to Homer and in May you can combo your halibut with king salmon.  The photo albums at www.Fishinghomeralaska.com will give you the fever real fast. ;Dhttp://

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2007, 11:57 AM »
I go up to do some Alaska halibut fishing about every other year. I really does not cost a lot. Pretty reasonable, a lot cheaper than going to Disney World. I go up during May or the September and the cost is less than half. You will bring home some fine eating if I may say.

The best thing is my step-daughter lives up there, she lives about 1/4 mile from the docks. This makes it even more affordable. My wife and I have also caught some very nice King Salmon while we are there also, Oh ya, and some 30 - 40 LB Ling Cod. They look almost the same as the lings you all catch at Ocean and Boysen.

Tight Line and Good Fishing

benwyo
Ben

Offline IcedBush13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is the sport of drowning worms
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2007, 03:40 PM »
I would love to go over off the coast of africa and catch bone fish all day with a fly rod.

Offline Ocean Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2007, 10:40 PM »
Hey PF, let's fly in to Alaska, take Ocean Eyes with us, split the costs and do both!!!!! hee-hee Naaaah...those bush-pilots scare th' bajabbers outta me!  :roflmao:

LET'S GO, Can someone ask my wife for me???  We should kill a moose or two and some caribous while we're there?

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2007, 10:46 PM »
If we get to hunt I'm going to!

I would like to catch some of those PEAC0CK BASS!

Offline hammerhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2007, 04:25 AM »
We lived in Alaska for a few years. We always enjoyed pink salmon fishing. They hold up at the mouth of small freshwater streams I think it is in August, so you can access them with a small boat from the oceam and cast spoons to them with fairly light tackel. Locals turn up their noses at pinks, too small to be of interest, most of them between 2'and3'. Us newcomers didn't know any better and had a blast catching them untill our arms got tired, then wandering off to catch some bottomfish. Didn't realize what a great thing we had there until we returned to lower 48 reality.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:10 AM »
LET'S GO, Can someone ask my wife for me???  We should kill a moose or two and some caribous while we're there?

Dunno Kev, she looks awful threatening in that cammy wear and that big ole gun! Plane's on the runway...let us know how that goes for ya!  :roflmao:
                                                        Th' "Don"

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:24 AM »
marlin, on a fly rod, and grouper and tuna, for sure.  catch the grouper on a jig on my heavy ice-rod, give it a real run for its money...

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:38 AM »
Don't do it!  I made a trip Mexico 2.5 years ago and it has nearly ruined me!  My wife and I have been back 4 times now, and I spend way too much time day dreaming about it.

Yellowfin Tuna, Marlin, Dorado, roosterfish on the fly rod and hard pulling Jacks on topwater plugs--they are fast, insane, aggressive and stronger than you can believe.

My ultimate--and way too expensive trip would be to Pesca Panama--a other ship operation off the Pacific coast of Panama--one of the last great fisheries that has not been over-exploited for Tuna, wahoo, Dorado, grouper roosterfish etc. 

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2007, 10:13 AM »
King Salmon...those things are huge and look like a riot to catch...i guess off the top of my head....that's what I would fish for.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline Ocean Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:23 PM »
King Salmon...those things are huge and look like a riot to catch...i guess off the top of my head....that's what I would fish for.

If you ever want to chase those KINGS let me know.  I know all the Rivers in Michigan (other home state) and the fishing is awesome.  Alot cheaper than Alaska!  Average king runs about 17 to 22 pounds.  There are a few that go over thirty.  Need info just let me know. 

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2007, 12:57 AM »
If you ever want to chase those KINGS let me know.  I know all the Rivers in Michigan (other home state)
Ocean Eyes how did you get from Michigan to Wyoming?

Offline Ocean Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2007, 02:55 AM »
Moved to Billings 13yrs ago on a lob transfer, then got a divorce up there and moved to riverton to start over.  Been here for 8 yrs now.  Where did you shoot that big whitie at?

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2007, 04:18 AM »
I shot the WT in the Blackhills. The reason why I asked is I moved to Wyoming in 1975. I was born in Manistee. My folks had a farm up in that area. I ended up going to school in Utica around Detroit then I went to a Year of College up in the UP at Marquette.
     On our farm up around Manistee the little Manistee river flow through it and I never caught them but my brothers would catch some of those big Salmon.

Offline Ocean Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2007, 06:29 AM »
Small World!  The Little Manistee (LM) is one of my favorite Steelhead Rivers.  Went there 2yrs ago and fished it for two days and caught 13 and lost another 20 or so.  Lot's of logs in that little river.  We have a family cabin just west of marquette, I make a trip there every fall to chase them whitetails in the big woods.  great place to visit, but just too many darn people anymore for my liking!  Later KR

Here's my whopper last december, my dad wanted some vension and he got it.  Marquette=COLD/COLD

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2007, 03:00 PM »
I agree OE even back in 75 there was to many people. But the UP is still pretty good. Gets some winter up there in that part of the country. Great buck for venison steaks! Also I don't know if you saw my post but that is a great pic of you and your buddies Duck hunting! The pic of your wife is funny, good to see you have a sense of humor!

Offline Ocean Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:48 PM »
[ Also I don't know if you saw my post but that is a great pic of you and your buddies Duck hunting! The pic of your wife is funny, good to see you have a sense of humor!
[/quote]

That was my dad and bro and my other bro took the picture.  That was the first time in way too many years we all got to hunt together.  Too bad for the ducks and geese they took a real hurting that week.  That was Cottonwood Bay on Boysen! Later KR

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.