The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: What do you use under tip-ups?  (Read 2323 times)

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
What do you use under tip-ups?
« on: Jan 03, 2017, 06:14 PM »
Just saw on gemcities "challenge" that 6 lines now allowed on Hattie. I have fished tip-ups plenty at Pathfinder and Alcova and always use minnows with them with fair results. I'm kinda stumped what a fella would use under his tip-ups besides minnows when fishing Hattie. I guess I just don't see the attractiveness of something like a single salmon egg or a few waxies under a tip up. Anybody have some ideas?

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What do you use under tip-ups?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2017, 06:34 PM »
I would try dead salted minnows on an "Ice Rigger" by HT and would put a piece of paper or a bobber dangling on the line for a little wind movement.  I use a 4' rod so it has some movement. I also use fish eyes from fish I've cleaned and they make great bait. I also salt them.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:12 PM »
If you have an extra or two to just out hand a jigging rap... You'd be surprised what'll hit those while dead sticking. If nothing hits it you're only out a couple of minutes.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2017, 10:39 PM »
If you have an extra or two to just out hand a jigging rap... You'd be surprised what'll hit those while dead sticking. If nothing hits it you're only out a couple of minutes.
Are you dead sticking  it below a tip up ? Interesting.

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2017, 10:51 PM »
hang.. dead stick... neither move

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2017, 11:16 PM »
It all depends on were and what you are fishing for.  I know people that use them for trout with worms 3 feet under the ice and do very well. I use plain hook and a minnow or a jig and minnow most the time. 
olefish

Offline avidoutdoor24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2017, 04:16 AM »
I throw 3-4 beads on them above the hook with a split shot about 6 inches up for added weight and to keep the beads where they belong. Something my dad did for years and I haven't changed from it. Know lots of guys who also put a small jig also and have seen it work

Online fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:45 AM »
You could use salmon eggs, chicken liver, worms, wax worms, meal worms, power bait, many different things can work on the tip ups.  But if you want one to jig a spoon or jig the stand up tip ups that polar makes works really nice and you can see something playing with the tip up before the flag goes off, a lot of work to keep the line from freezing in, but just like another jigging rod that you have on the ice.

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08:37 AM »
Many good ideas here guys! Hope to get a chance to use them this weekend at Hattie!

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08:53 AM »
I use 6 lines all the time on the gorge. 6 lines doesn't mean tipups. I never see a tipup on the gorge. Just 6 poles. most fish come off the 5 deadstick rods. Nightcrawler on a jighead is what most of mine consist of.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I値l ice fish there too!

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:42 AM »
I caught a trout at w3 last winter on powerbait under a tipup. it's no different than throwing out powerbait, or a spawn sac, or salmon eggs during the summer.  that was the only time I've used power bait under a flag.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2017, 11:14 AM »
I use 6 lines all the time on the gorge. 6 lines doesn't mean tipups. I never see a tipup on the gorge. Just 6 poles. most fish come off the 5 deadstick rods. Nightcrawler on a jighead is what most of mine consist of.
I think I'm going to bring some  Tip ups down for a Burbot this year. I don't see why they wouldn't work? In the past I have used  Dead stick rods and had good success, but  Tip ups might even work better because the fish will be able to take the line freely.  Also picked up a couple Oklahoma bait runner reels and I am interested to see how well they do.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2017, 12:45 PM »
I did it last year for the ling derby in case I nodded off to sleep. Had a few flags but couldn't set the hook on them. Letting them run or setting the hook quickly is still up in the air for me when using a single hook and glow grub. Just not a lot of hook gap there may have been the problem.
Trent Williams

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2017, 03:09 PM »
Anyone use standoff hooks to fish different depths at the same time? I have some, but have yet to use them. Too lazy.

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2017, 03:57 PM »

How often do you lose a pole down the hole when a big fish hits?  ;D

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2017, 04:13 PM »
How often do you lose a pole down the hole when a big fish hits?  ;D

Never have :) I'm fast!
Trent Williams

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:08 AM »
Never have :) I'm fast!

HA!  I've seen it happen to a guy sitting 10 feet away...two wiggles and...bloop right down the hole!  Other times there is no sign of the rod, just gone when nobody was looking....

I had it happen once at Boysen when one of those 5 lb rainbows hit a live minnow and took off.  Funny thing was, we had a large group with a ton of tip ups and one went off about 1/2 hour later.  When I brought it up, there was a line snarled around the hook.  Sure enough, it was attached to a big rainbow... and the rod came up through the hole unscathed!

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2017, 03:08 PM »
Hahaha wow. That's amazing. I've got a crazy story from the gorge this summer but I'll save it for another day. I've had my rods flip forward but never lost it. Have done a couple knee slides with a wet arm to save them though.
Trent Williams

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2017, 03:45 PM »
I lost one down the hole on Boulder once and I was only 15 ft or so away. Took me a lot of holes and my camera to locate it a few hundred feet away and then a few more holes to get on top of it and drop a big treble and snagged it. Fish had broke off but the rod and reel were fine!

Offline sunshine daydream

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2017, 06:10 PM »
There is usually a group of us that have fun on the ice.  One of are jokes is when someone is not paying attention to there gear we say dude your rod is getting hit.  So one afternoon on the Plains Lakes our buddy is getting some refreshments and we telling him your rod is getting hit.  So this time he has a fish on and we scramble to save the rod.   So there goes the rod with the holder down the hole.   Looking down the hole we can see his rod in the rod holder a few feet away.  So then the games begin, we start drill holes around and rig up are best rod catching jig we come up with .  My buddy used a big jigging rap and hooked up the rod.  So as he is reeling the rod  up the fish is still on.   He saved the rod with the holder and fish

Offline sunshine daydream

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2017, 06:14 PM »
There is usually a group of us that have fun on the ice.  One of are jokes is when someone is not paying attention to there gear we say dude your rod is getting hit.  So one afternoon on the Plains Lakes our buddy is getting some refreshments and we telling him your rod is getting hit.  So this time he has a fish on and we scramble to save the rod.   So there goes the rod with the holder down the hole.   Looking down the hole we can see his rod in the rod holder a few feet away.  So then the games begin, we start drill holes around and rig up are best rod catching jig we come up with .  My buddy used a big jigging rap and hooked up the rod.  So as he is reeling the rod  up the fish is still on.   He saved the rod with the holder and fish

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:16 AM »
Hahahahahaha
Trent Williams

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2017, 10:04 AM »
  Why not try cut bait,cherry licorice,or small bag of MM peanuts. Bacon wrapped night crawlers could be the ticket.

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2017, 12:56 PM »
One of my good ones is forgetting to take the clip on weight off and then wondering why I got no bights.
olefish

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2017, 03:44 PM »
I always pull out six or eight feet of extra line then have a rubber band attached to set the hook when they run or spool my tip ups when I
am fishing all night.

Offline avidoutdoor24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2017, 03:51 PM »
Never thought of that duckman that's a great idea....

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2017, 04:22 PM »
Works for me. less fish take it and find something to get snagged up in that way when they can only go so far.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.