The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Pike roe/eggs... a delicacy? [pic]  (Read 9570 times)

Offline Mich-Again

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pike roe/eggs... a delicacy? [pic]
« on: Feb 13, 2010, 09:55 PM »
This is actually my first pike of the season... got it on a tip-up.  I opened her up and found a LOT of eggs... see pic below.  I actually had no intention of keeping this fish, but she swallowed my bait fish and hook... there was no saving her.  Does anyone eat these?

Apparently, they are a delicacy and potentially valuable... $100/pound??  I'm sure there are many types of pike roe... check out this link:

http://paramountcaviar.com/ViewProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=34

Offline Mich-Again

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pike roe/eggs... a delicacy? [pic]
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2010, 10:09 PM »
I just fry em up...tastes pretty good...the texture is funky tho
I reccomend trying them at least once

I forgot to mention that I do eat perch eggs.  I fry them like you mentioned.  I did keep the pike eggs and will definitely try them tomorrow.

icewagon

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2010, 10:13 PM »
Fish guts  :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :roflmao:

Offline Left/Center

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2010, 10:16 PM »
Uhhhhh....no thanks :P

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2010, 10:24 PM »
yah they taste awesome, texture of cous cous...but they are good like fish chips lol, i have made caviar by curing them with salt, good stuff easy to make...try that, i made to much last year, but to make a little bit for your next holiday party or get together  or w/e...you can freeze them too with no issues...and just so you know you can cut the line and stuff and the pike can digest the hook
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2010, 08:29 AM »
me personally id throw/give them away.......there are alot of people that love eating perch or walleye eggs...im sure the pike eggs not only look the same  probally taste the same too

Offline Iceman_101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2010, 12:15 PM »
Don't know what they taste like but could be good u never know until u try them ;D.
TEAM ICE TECH

Offline icecanada

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2010, 12:38 PM »
Looks and sounds NASTY. No way I'm eating that, might try using it as bait.

Offline tazdevil300

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2010, 02:50 PM »
Good way of using all the fish but I've tried them and don't care for the texture at all.you guys have at it though.

Offline camocladicebuster13.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2010, 03:36 PM »
perch eggs are okay no on the  pike :sick:

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2010, 03:50 PM »
perch eggs are okay no on the  pike :sick:

Those pike eggs look like they are getting on the 'ripe' side.  The more 'orange' they get the more 'developed' they are.  If you get perch early ice vs. late ice you know what I mean.  First ice perch that have eggs will look more light pink than orange.  As the spawn nears the eggs develop and become more 'bloody'.  The more bloody (orange) they get the more fishy they taste.  I don't eat them any time, but my mom and grandma used to eat perch eggs from early ice perch.  Even they would pass on the late ice eggs.

Offline Border Jumper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Must be here someplace??
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2010, 04:24 PM »
We have friends who would eat Bluegill eggs, they would just fry them in a pan.

Offline bamie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2010, 04:38 PM »
The idea of bait sounds good, not food :-\ I say cure em & color em if need be, might be hot for Steelies, you never know....we boil Perch eggs and feed them to the dog, he likes them, I don't ! :-\...

Offline phlint

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2010, 07:56 PM »
the livers are excellent on the pike

Offline wartfroggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2010, 07:04 AM »
I would try it before this............
http://paramountcaviar.com/ViewProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=7
DOGFISH caviar.........and $116/pound!!!

Offline wartfroggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2010, 07:10 AM »
Oh boy......they have Carp Roe too!  Only $18/pound
http://paramountcaviar.com/ViewProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=163

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2010, 07:55 AM »
yote bait.

Offline kiltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh-yeah....Uh-hunh!!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2010, 07:17 PM »
I don't know about the pike eggs. Perch and 'Gill eggs are good.
My only suggestion is that you "bleed" you fish if your going to eat the eggs. The taste will improve!
The reason we're all here is 'cause we ain't all there!
GD

Offline Mich-Again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2010, 06:13 AM »
Well, I had some good comments here, so I thought I would offer my "report".  I tried to fry them - like I would perch eggs - but the skeins didn't stay together like the perch ones do.  So, I ended up with quite a mess in the frying pan... some parts over-cooked and some parts under-cooked.  So I basically ruined them.  Someone said the texture is like cous cous... I see what you mean, so I would agree with that.

I want to try again, though.  Next time I will sort of "scramble" the eggs and make, uh, scrambled eggs by mixing with milk and a touch of oil.  I might try to season them somehow too.

Now all I gotta do it catch another one.  I haven't had much luck this year.  I went back to the same spot where I got this one and not one flag in two trips for several hours.  I think I need a new pike fishing spot... I know of a couple I could try  8)

Offline aslongasitpullback

• IceShanty Rookie
  • what a mess we have created
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2010, 08:13 AM »
This is actually my first pike of the season... got it on a tip-up.  I opened her up and found a LOT of eggs... see pic below.  I actually had no intention of keeping this fish, but she swallowed my bait fish and hook... there was no saving her.  Does anyone eat these?

Apparently, they are a delicacy and potentially valuable... $100/pound??  I'm sure there are many types of pike roe... check out this link:

http://paramountcaviar.com/ViewProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=34

(Image removed from quote.)

Ive tryed perch eggs before ... and idd not like them... a little to fishy tasting for me...
Hey no problem with you catching and keep any fish... or large pike for that matter... i keep some but not all
but if your consernd about letting fish go I would think about using circle hook on your tip-ups... the key to getting a circle hook to work is that you have to snell the leader material to the hook... this hooking system is proven to hooking the fish 95% of the time right in the corner of the mouth.. even it the bait has been swallowed past and in the the gut of the fish....
this hooking system is all I use on my tip-ups .... but remember when you go to set the hook there is no yanking to set the hook, you just start pulling the fish in and keep steady pressure on the fish... the hook will works it way right to the corner of the mouth and set it self there.... these hook are one of the oldest hook in history... just google circle hook and do a little ready... you will be amazed on how they work...

good luck

Offline walleyesteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Walleye & Perch the other white meat.
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2010, 08:25 AM »
Well, I had some good comments here, so I thought I would offer my "report".  I tried to fry them - like I would perch eggs - but the skeins didn't stay together like the perch ones do.  So, I ended up with quite a mess in the frying pan... some parts over-cooked and some parts under-cooked.  So I basically ruined them.  Someone said the texture is like cous cous... I see what you mean, so I would agree with that.

I want to try again, though.  Next time I will sort of "scramble" the eggs and make, uh, scrambled eggs by mixing with milk and a touch of oil.  I might try to season them somehow too.

Now all I gotta do it catch another one.  I haven't had much luck this year.  I went back to the same spot where I got this one and not one flag in two trips for several hours.  I think I need a new pike fishing spot... I know of a couple I could try  8)

I mix Perch eggs with Chicken eggs, scrambled. Makes for a great omlet.
God created bass for those who can not catch walleye.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.