The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Custom Ice Rods  (Read 4848 times)

Offline crosscobra

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Give em the beans
Custom Ice Rods
« on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:13 AM »
Who all here uses them? I am in the process of switching all of my ice rods out for custom. I think they are better quality and they look better. Right now i have a 60", 54" 2x 36" and 2 32"med for pike and walleye.
"Huddle round the shanty momma, Put a good buzz on!"

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Custom Ice Rods
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:46 AM »
 all custom rods

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:48 AM »
Most are custom
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:49 AM »
I think you have already checked out my rods! Let me know if you need any help. I am going to make a run for some supplies soon.

surflizard

« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:56 AM »
I started swapping out stock rods for Customs last year, mostly because of all the twisted blanks and misalined eyelets I was finding ! For me to be able to design the rod the way I want it and with the features that I think will work best for me easily offsets any additional cost ! Its Ironic that some guys have no issue with dumping  good money into their soft water outfits and then they will screech about having to spend more then $15 bucks on an Ice rod ??  :blink: :roflmao:

Offline IceinKzoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:21 AM »
I started slowly switching mine out as well.   A fellow iceshanty member has a custom outfit called Austin Custom Rods.  I have bought a total of 5 from him and am very happy with the results.   I think anytime you can get away from mass production you are going to get a better quality product.  Regardless where you get the rod I bet you will be happy.

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:10 PM »
Custom here too, usually if a rod is under 4 feet long it stays in the truck.

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:25 PM »
Some custom and some are very spicific brand names.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:31 PM »
Who all here uses them? I am in the process of switching all of my ice rods out for custom. I think they are better quality and they look better. Right now i have a 60", 54" 2x 36" and 2 32"med for pike and walleye.
Me me me, pick me! I have the custom IA rod of the year made by Adam Bricker. Find him on Facebook Brickers Custom Rods. His rods are amazing! Here is a poor picture but good enough lol.

Offline revpilot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2011, 10:08 PM »
I started slowly switching mine out as well.   A fellow iceshanty member has a custom outfit called Austin Custom Rods.  I have bought a total of 5 from him and am very happy with the results.   I think anytime you can get away from mass production you are going to get a better quality product.  Regardless where you get the rod I bet you will be happy.

x2    wouldn't fish without them!

Offline crosscobra

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Give em the beans
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:06 AM »
Some custom and some are very spicific brand names.

hey man i appreciate the offer but the guy that ties my rods does a great job. He is also a personal friend and gives me prices i cant refuse. But i do appreciate the offer! just wanted to see who all uses custom rods.
"Huddle round the shanty momma, Put a good buzz on!"

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:13 AM »
 I have several custon made rods. I have one that is over 40 years old I bought new and have used it ever since. May be looking for another one this year. Anyone know a good place to get one?

Offline Diehardiceguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:55 PM »
How do the bricker custom rods compare to let's say a power noodle from thorne bros, or the quiver stick.  Does he make them with small bland and sensitive?

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:27 PM »
I don't own a thorn bros rod so I cannot speak about them but the Bricker rod is amazing, not only in looks. The rods action is fanominal with a strong backbone starting at 1 1/2 i-let. Worried about those light biter's?  Not With this rod.

Offline cold carpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2011, 09:34 AM »
I have all custom rods as well except for one noodle rod. I make my own out of long poles the kids have broken. Nothing very pretty, but they catch fish! With 5 kids, I wound up with enough broken rods to outfit an army!

Offline Spawnwalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2011, 10:46 AM »
Mine are custom as well. But my favorite go to rod is a 6' tip section of a original Dick Swan Lamiglas noodle rod. A close friend of mine grew up fishing with him, and we took a trip up to Dick's house in 2004 and bought what blanks he had left. Needless to say that rod hardly leaves my hand when I'm on the ice.
Death from above

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.