The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Otsego Lake info.  (Read 987 times)

Offline hessey56

• IceShanty Rookie
Otsego Lake info.
« on: Dec 28, 2011, 08:31 PM »
Hey guys, looking at possibly heading up to Otsego lake on the 14-16 of January and was hoping some of you might  point this guy in the right direction on where to start. Not looking for your honey holes, but a general idea on where to start and where a good access point would be. Looks like a pretty good sized lake. Also was looking for info on what to aim for fish wise and what bait/tackle is best. I am a pan fisherman at heart, but will fish for walleye in a heartbeat. Also have some tip ups I might bring along if the pike fishing isn't bad. Thanks for any help, here in OH I am not holding my breath for ice anytime soon. Thanks again and good luck to you all.   Hess

Offline church33

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Otsego Lake info.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2011, 07:21 AM »
i grew up in gaylord, i will send you a pm Ben

Offline hessey56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:28 AM »
Thanks Ben  :)

Offline smittybob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:50 AM »
Always see a bunch of people right off of the state park at Otsego.  Not sure what the attraction is there, never fished it.

Offline Diehard_fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Im a diehard fisherman, obviously.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:03 PM »
state park attraction is sturgeon spearing and perch. But if u want a push in the right direction, CHOOSE A DIFFERENT LAKE. I live in gaylord and have been out everday for the past week and nobody has any fish to report. Im gonna try my honey hole so be watching out for a new topic by me tomorrow. If u MUST fish otsego... State park has produced tiny perch but where theres small ones there are big ones too just gotta find them. Good luck

Offline hardH2Onut

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Perchville
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2011, 10:10 PM »
state park attraction is sturgeon spearing and perch. But if u want a push in the right direction, CHOOSE A DIFFERENT LAKE. I live in gaylord and have been out everday for the past week and nobody has any fish to report. Im gonna try my honey hole so be watching out for a new topic by me tomorrow. If u MUST fish otsego... State park has produced tiny perch but where theres small ones there are big ones too just gotta find them. Good luck

Ditto what Diehard said.  I have Lived here for 10 years and refuse to waste my time on Otsego.  Just say'in
"HAVE ICE?? WILL TRAVEL!!"

Offline smittybob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2011, 10:07 AM »
Yea last year I stopped there and asked one guy coming off the ice how he did.  "Four hours and 1 dink Perch".  Back in the truck I went down to Horseshoe Lake.  Caught a few gills and two small pike, with another two flags I missed.  I guess the secret is gonna be putting the time in on the ice and fishing as many different spots as possible.  A skillet full of perch sure would put a smile on my face. 

Tight Lines. 

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2011, 11:49 AM »
i think im with you on that one. Im done wasting my time on otsego. I heard decent things about dixon i might try there next.

Offline hessey56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2011, 01:57 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Die Hard and Smitty. I am not commited to Otsego, just have read alot on it so I figured it was a good place to start. I will keep looking and hopefully get steered in the right direction.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2011, 04:24 PM »
thumb might be safe when u get here. Id try margethe big bradford horseshoe or west twin in grayling or make the journey to alpena and slay them at fletchers pond

Offline smittybob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:55 PM »
Diehard we should get together and catch some stuff.  Hessy and I will be up the 13th-16th.  Hopefully we can find something.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2011, 11:11 PM »
yeah definately man hopefully ill have some good spots picked out

Offline church33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2011, 08:13 AM »
will all go out will just have one big party on the ice ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum