Author Topic: Will muddy water matter  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Reel_Ice_hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
Will muddy water matter
« on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:19 AM »
So, it's pretty much ice out...but with all the rain all the water I would fish is muddy due to creeks and rivers flowing in. In anyone's experience will muddy water matter? If I can't find clean water where I'm fishing do u think fish will still bite??

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Will muddy water matter
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:42 AM »
You may be able to find some somewhere Brian but it will be much better after the great flood.  Crazy time of year, always want to get after them, try to tell myself to catch up on the things I got behind on while on the ice and wait for the weather to turn.  These rolling cold fronts always make it tough also.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:45 AM »
It depends.  Cold muddy water can the toughest of fishing conditions, but if the lake you are usually fishing is normally not clear, then the mud will matter less.  In clear water lakes an rivers, the fish feed by sight as much as 'feel'.  When you take half their ability to feed away, the strike zone gets much smaller.   If where you are fishing is normally 'dirty' water then the fish are used to feeding by 'feel' using their lateral lines.  The mud will certainly not help, but in normally dirty water, mud has less of an impact.  Regardless, cold muddy water is going to be a challenge.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:54 AM »
Yeah, what he said.  Regardless, those crappie in your freezer can't be getting lonely yet! ;)

Offline ct83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2018, 10:04 AM »
Yeah, what he said.  Regardless, those crappie in your freezer can't be getting lonely yet! ;)
i know thats right roeboat! Lol. Brian you know if you wanted to you could catch fish out of a mud puddle!!!!

Offline Big Buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2018, 10:50 AM »
This may be a dumb question...do the fish follow the rising waters to stay in the same water column or would they stay deep?

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2018, 11:01 AM »
If its he resi that you are referring to... my guess is the fish will look for places out of the current as much as anything. Which could mean shallow.  Also after the great flood, these same creeks that are currently pumping mud into the system may in turn clear up after a bit and they could likely be a source of clear water for the crappie.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2018, 11:47 AM »
Clarity in resi's as mentioned effect the crappie bite way less than any where else I fish. In fact I prefer stained in resi's. Muddy water will warm quicker on those sunny spring days so fish usually move up in water column and closer to shore. In resi's in most years the crappie migrate just like salmon upstream. The high warmer water triggers the move. Some years maybe this rain gets it all started. I almost expect atleast alittle migration. Easiest fishing of the year is close on the resi's. Slack clearing areas will be what i'll be looking for after just a few dry days now. 

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2018, 01:11 PM »
Good info as always Bigr!

Offline Reel_Ice_hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2018, 02:33 PM »
Thanks a ton guys... the itch never leaves... especially with this surgery looming over my head, I don't know how long I can be down and not out on the hunt for slabs lol... but thanks again guys for sharing good info

Offline Big Buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2018, 02:50 PM »
Thanks fellas hoping to find some fishable water this weekend good luck and FISH ON!!!!!

Offline crappiecrusher34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:24 PM »
Hard to catch fish in water under 50 degees that is muddy. Clear water lakes will likely not be as bad as some never get muddy.  But when the mud begins to clear the fish will be in the mood to play. 
Chasing a dream on the water.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2018, 04:11 AM »
the fish will suck a few days, but the creek running was fun yesterday. lol  could zip threw places you have to drag normally.  kinda feel like gator McKlusky. yeehaw ;D  at least until they shut it down, if they havent already.  family a lil freaked about the cottage.  its at the seawall now and 3 more ft and its in.  supposed to go up and prep for it today.

for some fish it will likely make the bite better afterwards.  the ones that migrate like suckers,cats, pike,and walleye will get even more stacked up.  the higher flow years seem to bring more fish from farther.  get ready to hit it below the dams afterwards, if it warms good!
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.