Author Topic: Best One Man Shack  (Read 2707 times)

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Best One Man Shack
« on: Sep 27, 2017, 01:32 PM »
What's the best one man shack on the market?

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best One Man Shack
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2017, 01:39 PM »
Any particular style preference?
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2017, 01:51 PM »
Otter XT PRO Cottage.   The Otter Hideout would be my #2 choice only because I'd get claustrophobic in it.

DN 
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline crappie55409

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2017, 01:52 PM »

Offline joemx1825

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2017, 02:12 PM »
Otter XT PRO Cottage
DN
+1 by far the best...

Offline crappie55409

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2017, 03:23 PM »
I own a cottage pro and also call this the best

Offline cardinalsfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2017, 06:28 PM »
The best one man shack is either a small two man shack or the Otter Cottage like the others said

Offline illinoisicer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2017, 09:59 AM »
I bought a new Clan Kenai insulated at the beginning of last season. Very warm but I thought it was too bulky and heavy so I bought a Clam Blazer and really dig it. Way more mobile with this one. It's super light and I think the size is in my opinion good. It's not insulated but a small flower heater on low keeps it toasty warm.

I modified the back end of the flyover with 1/8 vineer w/hatches and holes to hold 1# propanes so everything isn't sliding around. With all my stuff in there (minus the power auger) the sled probably weighs 50#'s

I also have a Nanook, good but not a good pulling shanty unless it's behind a wheeler or snowmobile.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 02, 2017, 10:40 AM »
I got a recon weights about 37 pound unloaded  pulls like a dream unloaded.. thrre is a newer version out that is the frabil 1350 dale stroschein I think is the name??  Any how that one is thermal and weights s lot more!! .. only problem I find with my recon is not much room in front of you..  for a heater and not much room for a lantren if either was in front of you..  I would burn the line and lose fish like mad.. same with the flasher there are ways around it I mounted the flasher up high so I could  see it easier..  small screen flasher.. that and use led lighting either led fog lights or led strips .. 

the last thing is the heater I got to make a mount for mine so I don't burn fabric and or line or self.. if it were not for the minting the flasher up high or led lights there would be no room  to fish it all in how you organize to I am looking at the frabill trunk seats to cause they will fit my seld.. I got a older recon .. the kind with out a door so I customized the skirt so the wind would not let light in while fishing glare ice ..I also swen a chain in to the skirt to hold it down.. etc etc..

customizing these the sky's the limit with one men also consider a battery box etc and more insulation like reflectixs bubble isolation.. if you don't go thrrmal  I find the reg recon fabric is fine almost fully heat it self on my breath alone I do have a small heater a colmen sport cat to keep warm with ..1500btus is all that's needed for me .. if you get thrrmal 1500 is more then enough I think little buddy heaters heat 100cubic feet wich I think is over kill but each there own.. sufication from too much heat can happen cause of amount t of air taken to burn the flame in heater so be carefull mske sure you got plenty of make up air ..

other then that stuff these flips are great for hole hopping .. this is were hub shanties fail .. there us also the evo 1it  I have been looJing at cause of space I don't like the design as much I am thinking .. I will post pic of the flasher mounting and fog lights I used in a minute to give you a idea on set ups ..

Flasher mount can't do this in a evo 1it..

High mounted fog light cause shadows

So I mounted lights low ..

Type of fog ligts I used ..

Switching from this seat to a frabill padded trunk to lighten it up..

Here is that chain I swen in to the skirt so it don't flap in the breeze and let light penatrate spooking fish this is good when very little snow is avaible to throw on skirt..

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Oct 02, 2017, 11:05 AM »
shappell fx100 seems to be popular. i am on my second one. i sell my slightly used ones to buy their newest designs/version.
there should be yet another version coming out soon with some insulation and better fabric (they use a good fabric already at 600 denier) and new dog leg lower bars.
i know their hy-fax kits are top notch too.
it has always been the lightest in the past is one of the reasons for being so popular besides being a product of america.
easy to modify and you pick your own bleacher seat to go on the bench, if you want one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.