The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Ice conditions  (Read 1829 times)

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ice conditions
« on: Mar 04, 2024, 06:00 PM »
Last week ponds in Cumberland county had ice 14" thick, today ice in same ponds ice was solid but only 4" of ice  holes every where were wide open some 2ft in dia. holes that were made a week ago and holes made 2 days ago were free of ice coat . along shore lines  ice was even thinner. Lakes controled by dams are being lowered earlier this winter making dangerous condition in Piscataquas county. time to launch boats in open lakes is coming very soon!!!!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice conditions
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2024, 07:03 PM »
When I got out today,  I found launch at sabattus is wide open, we got onto the ice on the opposite side of the point. we only had about 6” close to shore, a bit less out away from the shore so I didn’t go too far. The top two inch weren’t great. Many of those old holes that opened up and made it a hazard running for flags.
I was on little ossipee yesterday, 9” of what looked like mostly solid clear ice, but the inlet at that launch was making that beach area open up too, wasn’t much space to get on

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2024, 07:35 AM »
IF&W needs to get on the stick and give us an early open water season opener.  They gave us a couple extra weeks in March about 2 times in the last 30 years.  This year seems ripe.  FWIW, I'll be contacting them today ;D

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2024, 07:39 AM »
IF&W needs to get on the stick and give us an early open water season opener.  They gave us a couple extra weeks in March about 2 times in the last 30 years.  This year seems ripe.  FWIW, I'll be contacting them today ;D

Something tells me you have enough spots in the southern zone to "get you by" Jim. :)

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2024, 08:57 AM »
You may be right, but as with all things in life it doesn't hurt to nibble for more.  Life's too short not to ;D  Besides, I think the rationale for an April 1 opener on brooks, rivers, and streams is fading fast (south of Rt. 2 anyway).   Most neighboring states have already gone to open all year, C&R, ALO.  The argument that a good portion of Maine has dramatically different fish populations than other states is way too steeped in tradition and little else.  The reality, Eric, is that what I say or think has about as much weight as a chickadee feather ::)  I wouldn't expect to see changes anytime soon ;)

Something tells me you have enough spots in the southern zone to "get you by" Jim. :)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2024, 09:13 AM »
You may be right, but as with all things in life it doesn't hurt to nibble for more.  Life's too short not to ;D  Besides, I think the rationale for an April 1 opener on brooks, rivers, and streams is fading fast (south of Rt. 2 anyway).   Most neighboring states have already gone to open all year, C&R, ALO.  The argument that a good portion of Maine has dramatically different fish populations than other states is way too steeped in tradition and little else.  The reality, Eric, is that what I say or think has about as much weight as a chickadee feather ::)  I wouldn't expect to see changes anytime soon ;)

I hear ya, I think I may have been the first guy on here many many years ago that talked about no open and closed seasons, simply fish to the conditions.  I think back then none of us thought that it would ever happen but look at the strides we have made although still not perfect. I'd say good luck this spring Jim, but why bother. ;D  The boat is calling my name. @)

Offline Fishin_Addiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2024, 09:21 AM »
Any reports from Moosehead ? I’m heading up there Thursday!

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2024, 09:31 AM »
Good luck on the water, Eric @)

I hear ya, I think I may have been the first guy on here many many years ago that talked about no open and closed seasons, simply fish to the conditions.  I think back then none of us thought that it would ever happen but look at the strides we have made although still not perfect. I'd say good luck this spring Jim, but why bother. ;D  The boat is calling my name. @)

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2024, 09:54 AM »
Ice fishing season is over, Saw a boat trolling on sebago yesterday. Ice is losing more than an 1" a day yesterday i could not believe we were able to fish on 4" when we walked off the slush and warm night im sure today there is less than 3" stay home and get boat ready.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2024, 11:06 AM »
Yep!!! I've got about 3 doz shiners i'll be dropping from the boat were I set traps a couple weeks ago! I have wanted to try the yellow perch on open water. Looks like I'm getting the chance, before i get to busy chasing clams!!! Will be fun!!!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2024, 04:45 PM »
Over the last few days the ice conditions have gone way downhill.  I like fishing and can't swim so will wait for soft water.  Chancing the ice in most places at the moment is not a wise choice.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2024, 04:54 PM »
with this latest rain and sun, ice will be losing an inch every 24 hrs. warm currents underneath and hot sunrays on top lakes in Northern maine had much less ice on lakes this year . also dam controled lakes seem to be lowering lake levels much earlier creating very unsafe conditions around shore lines and islands. We all need to be extra causious . so we will be around for next years season!!!

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2024, 05:19 PM »
First year I haven’t fished in March in at least 15 years.

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2024, 05:47 PM »
That's half a lifetime for you, Nick ;D

quote author=nbourque link=topic=395593.msg4342797#msg4342797 date=1709680794]
[/quote]

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2024, 06:12 PM »
That's half a lifetime for you, Nick ;D

quote author=nbourque link=topic=395593.msg4342797#msg4342797 date=1709680794]
Ya not good haha

Offline MarkNFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2024, 08:32 AM »
We'll see.  I saw trucks on Long Lake in St. Agatha last weekend.  A few cold nights and we'll be back in business up here.

Definitely warrants caution though. 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2024, 10:19 AM »
We'll see.  I saw trucks on Long Lake in St. Agatha last weekend.  A few cold nights and we'll be back in business up here.
Definitely warrants caution though.
Looks like we are all done down on the coast and Downeast... Looking at weather up your way I'm seeing rain with temps mixed with nights in the upper teens to upper 20's and day time highs in the mid to upper 30's. Mixes of rain and snow all through... Be CAREFUL out there!!!!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2024, 10:49 AM »
 MarkNFish The sun is hot and all lakes will loose an 1" of ice a day  water under ice is warm so both surfaces are melting faster. only people with no understanding will be out on ice. Large lakes with dam control will make it even worste .  Ive never been out in garden and with spade dig down and get worms in March... Please all be very careful!!!!!!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2024, 01:10 PM »
Now it’s the wait for which smaller lake/ponds open up first. Shore fishing or getting my little pond boat out just isn’t as much fun but I’m planning and prepping.

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2024, 01:27 PM »
Tunk Lake was open yesterday

Offline GNFISHIN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 06, 2024, 04:32 PM »
Anyone been on anything around Caratunk or the Forks? Planning on going up there this weekend to check it out.
It's fishing, not catching....

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 06, 2024, 06:44 PM »
With this coming rain up to 1 1/2" around shore lines will be very bad Take extreme causion

Offline GNFISHIN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 06, 2024, 07:40 PM »
I agree, not sure will make it out on the ice.. have to check and see. Might just end up spending time at camp, we’ll see.
Thank you.
It's fishing, not catching....

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 07, 2024, 10:45 AM »
I've been up to camp with ice still in,  in years passed when all of a sudden you hear a lot of crackling sound and the ice on the lake sinks out of sight, and the lake is a mile wide in front of camp. no snow on ground around camp now , so it wont be long with the heavy rain they had up their,  Caribou, Chesuncook

Offline Fishin_Addiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 07, 2024, 01:41 PM »
Any updates from Moosehead?

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #25 on: Mar 07, 2024, 02:43 PM »
Was down on China lake last year, working on a camp. I was stunned when I saw ice out happen over 45 minutes! Didn't know it could go like a light switch. :o
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 08, 2024, 05:05 AM »
Any updates from Moosehead?

I have not been to Moosehead but I saw on FB that there was 8”-12” off Rockwood landing reported on Thursday. Ice going out fast this season  it won’t be long . 🥶

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 08, 2024, 07:10 AM »
every 24 hrs. an inch reduction old holes and pressure ridge cracks open and melt faster. Lets all pass word around becareful!!

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 08, 2024, 09:28 AM »
I had my boat out on Tuesday. I,m with others no closed seasons.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Mar 08, 2024, 11:56 AM »
The southern basin of Pushaw is open water.  The rest isn't far behind.  Ice season around here is definitely over.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.