The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Fuel mixture for Eskimo/Tecumseh TII - model 8900  (Read 3063 times)

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Fuel mixture for Eskimo/Tecumseh TII - model 8900
« on: Jan 22, 2021, 05:37 PM »
Hi guys! Quick question about fuel mixtures for my power auger:

A few years ago I was gifted an old Eskimo 8” power auger. It has a Tecumseh motor (TII, model 8900). It’s probably 25 years old, smokes a good bit but otherwise runs well. The owners manual and motor itself calls for a 24:1 mixture of gas to oil. Most other small two stroke engines I’ve seen are 40:1 or 50:1. I spoke to someone at a small engine service shop recently and he recommended using a 50:1 ratio with high octane gasoline. He said when the older motors were manufactured there wasn’t much availability for synthetic oil but it has since improved significantly.

He thought the 24:1 ratio may clog up the engine over time and recommended The 50:1 with high test gasoline to clean out the motor. Since he works on small engines every day, I am inclined to trust him but thought I’d see if anyone had experience with fuel mixtures before I tried it. I certainly don’t want to ruin the auger so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Butcher

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Fuel mixture for Eskimo/Tecumseh TII - model 8900
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2021, 06:24 PM »
Tecumseh changed that engines F/O ratio to 40:1 due to smoking and exhaust oil porting. They went heavier because that engine was used on their heavier-duty earth augers. A heavier ratio will not "clog up" the engine. It can foul out your plugs and lead to a heavier carbon deposit with extended idling. You don't need premium fuel, and it sure as heck won't "clean out" the engine. You SHOULD use non-oxy gas and a good two-stroke oil. (Which nowadays DOES contain a fuel stabilzer additive, not really needed with the non-oxy, however...unless you let it sit for 3 months.) Don't use crap gas with ethanol. The non-oxy gas does have a higher octane ratio; normally 92-94 per SOR. A lower octane actually does produce more BTU's of energy than a higher octane...fact. But, non-oxy is a higher OR, which is fine. And ya, I was an ASE certified mechanic before I switched careers. Tip: Find a new mechanic to go to. That guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Put a new properly gapped plug in the engine, too. I recommnend a Champion CJ6Y gapped at .30.   Good luck!   :)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline walikilr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2021, 06:48 PM »
A few years back a friend who works on small engines went over my 25 year old strike master auger. Cleaned carb, new plug and I mixed up new gas with 24-1 ratio. He said 40 or 50 to 1 would work. I called strike master for an opinion. Tech said the engine called for 24-1 and to use 24-1. It ran on 50-1 but I run 24-1. Just saying.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2021, 07:13 PM »
And I always go with what the engine manufacturer says too, but TECUMSEH ENGINES changed their ratio from 24:1 to 40:1 because of the oil porting. Techs on phone aren't mechanics. That's why they're on the phone.
But, a 24:1 ratio won't hurt it, though. May foul yer plugs , but you'll never wreck yer engine. On the other end, some guys think running with high-end synthetic oil means they can run at 100:1 and they do. Say it's fine. Just makes more money for me on the side. Not my auger.  Scored jugs and pistons are pricey. Whatever works for ya. This is a never-ending argument that'll go 10 pages... like it does every year. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2021, 07:26 PM »
2cycle oil technology has changed alot since dino oil.tecumseh powerheads thats in all brands of augers be it jiffy,eskimo,strikemaster that say 24:1 changed to 40:1 back late 80s early 90s.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2021, 07:29 PM »
And I always go with what the engine manufacturer says too, but TECUMSEH ENGINES changed their ratio from 24:1 to 40:1 because of the oil porting. Techs on phone aren't mechanics. That's why they're on the phone.
But, a 24:1 ratio won't hurt it, though. May foul yer plugs and valves in the long run, but you'll never wreck yer engine. On the other end, some guys think running with high-end synthetic oil means they can run at 100:1 and they do. Say it's fine. Just makes more money for me on the side. Not my auger.  Scored jugs and pistons are pricey. Whatever works for ya. This is a never-ending argument that'll go 10 pages... like it does every year.
come on man...valves in  a 2 cycle??lol your going to melt someones brain.jk

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2021, 07:33 PM »
Whoops...!!!!!!!!!!!!! Typing too fast! Just got done redoing a Tecumseh 5 HP....that was still on my brain... excuse me!   :wacko:

Don't mention REED valves...... ;D

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2021, 07:37 PM »
Whoops...!!!!!!!!!!!!! Typing too fast! Just got done redoing a Tecumseh 5 HP....that was still on my brain... excuse me!  :wacko:

Don't mention REED valves...... ;D
you ever need oem parts let me know.got a ton.sure wish you were around to test all my buckets of used coils .lol

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2021, 07:39 PM »
Actually, I might need the governor spring for the neighbors 2 stroke little blower, gotta look at it tomorrow... Thanks!
Sorry, I don't do coils....use the neighbors cat!  *ZZZZT*

Back to oil ratios!!!!! WHEEEE!  :woot:  (Hope we answered his question, seriously)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2021, 07:56 PM »
I can look .most parts are 4cycle but i do have a bunch of toros laying around too.the tecumseh master tech i got parts from despised 2 strokes.not sure why.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2021, 08:12 PM »
I can look .most parts are 4cycle but i do have a bunch of toros laying around too.the tecumseh master tech i got parts from despised 2 strokes.not sure why.

'Cuz they kept asking him about oil ratios!!!!!!!!   :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2021, 08:44 PM »
Right on lol.

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2021, 08:48 AM »
Thank you all very much for the advice guys. I really appreciate it. Sounds like I should follow the old rule of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2021, 09:09 AM »
I think if you follow Tecumsehs recommended  40:1 ratio, you'll be just fine. Also consider the vast improvemnt in oils todays since they changed the ratio. Leaves those old Dino ones in the dust as far as engine protection and buildup of ash. Use a good non-oxy gas, and enjoy that fella for many more years to come!  :)

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2021, 09:54 AM »
Thanks for all the info Rebelss. Two quick follow up question for you:

1) You mentioned non-oxy gas. Is that just the higher octane fuel at the gas pump or is that something I should buy specially at an auto parts store?
2) If I went to a 40:1 ratio, will that stop my auger from smoking like a chimney?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2021, 10:05 AM »
Thanks for all the info Rebelss. Two quick follow up question for you:

1) You mentioned non-oxy gas. Is that just the higher octane fuel at the gas pump or is that something I should buy specially at an auto parts store?
2) If I went to a 40:1 ratio, will that stop my auger from smoking like a chimney?

1.Yes, it is higher octane, usually 92-94, but it has NO ETHANOL in it. "Pure" gas.  Found at gas stations that have that pump. Also called "recreational" gas. No ethanol to break down rubber seals, gaskets, and degrade in 30 days. Most stations have one pump or two with it. I run it in all my engines. including my boat. It is pricier, but worth it for small engines.
Chart I've used for years to help ya find it; just put in yer state and city.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MN

2. Yes.  :roflmao:

Pop in that new plug after the mix change, too! I'd also add some seafoam to yer first tank, too.
Let us know how that works for ya!  :)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2021, 10:44 AM »
1.Yes, it is higher octane, usually 92-94, but it has NO ETHANOL in it. "Pure" gas.  Found at gas stations that have that pump. Also called "recreational" gas. No ethanol to break down rubber seals, gaskets, and degrade in 30 days. Most stations have one pump or two with it. I run it in all my engines. including my boat. It is pricier, but worth it for small engines.
Chart I've used for years to help ya find it; just put in yer state and city.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MN

2. Yes.  :roflmao:

Pop in that new plug after the mix change, too! I'd also add some seafoam to yer first tank, too.
Let us know how that works for ya!  :)

You guys in MN are spoiled, you do have a non eth pump at almost every station. It was unbelievable the first time I noticed this up there!! Around here there's one pump with non eth in a city if you are lucky, it used to be shell 87 (which is CRAP) but now we have quik-star popping up all over and they carry a 93 premium non eth.

When we picked up the last boat from a dealer near chicago, he mentioned using stabil ethanol treatment in the tank. I said "I'll just use non ethanol gas" and he couldnt believe that we could get it at a pump in a gas station. I guess only place to get it around there is at a marina for $5-6 a gal.

My friends out east say its a pain to find it, one has to drive 45 minutes to the nearest pump. Most have now gone to tru-fuel and other bottled pre-mix.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2021, 10:44 AM »
Thank you very much Rebelss! that list and map of gas stations is great however, it looks like the closest station to me that carries non-oxy gas is over an hour away. Do auto parts stores carry non-oxy gas? I'm sure it will cost a bit more but I'd rather pay the extra few bucks than to risk damaging my engine. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2021, 10:47 AM »
Tru fuel comes in 40:1 ratio.pricey but keeps engines running clean.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2021, 10:52 AM »
Thank you very much Rebelss! that list and map of gas stations is great however, it looks like the closest station to me that carries non-oxy gas is over an hour away. Do auto parts stores carry non-oxy gas? I'm sure it will cost a bit more but I'd rather pay the extra few bucks than to risk damaging my engine.

Not sure about auto parts, but any hardware store will have pre-mixed fuel in 40:1 and 50:1 in a bottle. It is expensive like Dr. Speckler said, but its worth it for the convenience alone. It will be near the lawn equipment, by the trimmers and chainsaws usually... probably near a bunch of 1-5 gal plastic gas tanks. That stuff will be ready to go, just get the 40:1 and pour it into your auger. It has an extremely long shelf life and is very clean burning.

You are after this https://www.homedepot.com/p/TruFuel-40-1-Pre-Oil-Mix-6525538/203571069
EYECONICFISHING

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2021, 08:33 AM »
Thanks again everyone for the advice and comments. I really appreciate it. Hope I can return the favor at some point.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.