Author Topic: Building 7x10 hard side need help  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Evestj

• IceShanty Rookie
Building 7x10 hard side need help
« on: Mar 08, 2015, 05:38 PM »
I have a utilty trailer 7x8 I plan on making it 2 feet longer just looking for layout ideas or advice on what works and doesn't thanks

Offline Evestj

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Building 7x10 hard side need help
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2015, 07:20 PM »
So I found a bigger trailer ! 6 and half feet by 11 feet picked it up for 200 bucks I plan on going to buy the flooring this weekend what should I be getting I want to keep it light as I can of course ! I was thinking 1/2 plywood ? and help guys ! Then I'm putting two Bennches on either side of trailer going to have it so you can fish 3/4 guys what should I use for walls will 2x2s be strong enough if anyone has some pics of interior designs I would love to see some current photos thanks for reading

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 10:58 AM »
I built one last summer using an old Tent Trailer frame. See post "'78 tent trailer to 2015 wheel house". Not sure how far you are along. I used 2x3 for frame, cutting 2x6 in half. I found 2x2 tend to split when nailed or screwed and if you have any size knot, the piece will break. Hard to find any straight 2x2's and even 2x3 that's why I used 2x6 and split them on my table saw. Glue every piece where wood touches wood with a good quality construction glue, don't go with the cheap stuff. Make sure it is exactally square and bolt or screw the corner studs together with 4 bolts/screws along with lots of glue.
On the floor, I'd go with 2ea. 1/2" plywood with 3/4 pink poly sandwiched between them. Bottom piece run plywood left to making sure seams are on cross members. Top run front to back. On steel use self taping sheet metal screws only pre-drill each hole - hard to get the screws threw 11ga steel.
Putting 2 benches in will take up a lot of space. I just use the fold up fabric chair with arm rest and backs. Very comfortable and moveable. They are hanging in the rear corner picture on my post.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 11:36 AM »
You can use thinner plywood if it has more plies. Look for at least 7 plies and you can use 1/4 inch. There is a cost going lightweight. Can't always use the choice materials.
I would say 2x2 walls are fine depending on the skin. The type of skin could add strength mounted correctly.
Hole layout depends on how deep you are fishing. If shallow holes can be close together. If you want to fish deep, I would keep the holes on the outside edges so lines don't get tangled.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.