Author Topic: Selective Harvest?  (Read 7427 times)

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Selective Harvest?
« Reply #60 on: Jan 11, 2013, 11:02 AM »
You have to believe all the modern gear available to fisherman and the popularity of our sport has had to impact the amount of fish we now catch compared to 30 years ago.

This is why with out a doubt, a bag limit on panfish will need to be enacted with the next five year, or our kids won't have the interest to go fishing, because it will be so hard to get on a consistant bite.  I was amazed at the number of guys on the ice this year with vexs, marcums, etc... more have them than not! If a fisherman says that they don't have an effect on today's fishing, they need to get their head out of the sand.  The sonar is only have the battle.  When I took my daughter out the other day, I first grabbed my 78sc (handled garmin) that can get me within 3 ft. of the structure I marked with my Humminbird SI from the summer, with a simple waypoint manager called GPS Babel.  Got on the lake, drill 5 holes directly over said structure, dropped the vex in and walla, fish! If Grandpa had that technology, with no bag limits, I wonder how much more fishing were to decline! Explaining this process to my daughter was like explaining calculus, and I thought about my first ice adventures with my dad and it was drill a hole because I caught them here once wait for the bobber to move son... and don't forget to jig it. Now I know I have a bit more technology then most because I tournament fish, but if everybody has a vex, how much longer before everybody has SI and handhelds. What if I said to myself, well the DNR says it ain't illegal, so I'm going to take whats mine! It's like saying good luck to my daughter... or yeah better buy a time share in Canada!!
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Jan 11, 2013, 11:05 AM »
Gee I wonder how it got out?
Silence is more than golden. I rarely discuss where I catch fish, especially in an open forum like this. I have a hard time with wether I want more government intrusion into my life and the interests I have than there already is. A broad, all encompassing regulation is never the answer when when a situation develops in a certain location. Only specific to the body of water, river or stream that is having issues should the extent of laws/regulations be. As several DNR officers have told me that 'it is to hard to be everywhere at all times'. Tips (snitchin) is the best way to stop those who are poaching, taking more than they should or out of size limits. It took several complaints along a local waterway to get law enforcement to come down, make thier presence known and bring an end to the peops that were fillin buckets w walleye to sell, or the peops that were takin 8"-10" bass or over limit on crappies. Laws don't stop people from doing wrong, only punish them for doin so. Case in point was on Simpson pond in Huntington. Someone shouted DNR on the ice and 8 guys grabbbed thier gear, fish and split. Maybe the problem is we need to start culling the evil, stupid, and lawless people from society. Then these irreverent individuals wouldn't throw dinks on the ice, keep more than they should, keep fish outside the size limit, leave cig butts, cups, food wrappers and human waste in places it doesn't belong.

Offline popnfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Jan 11, 2013, 12:09 PM »
We could go the other route also and outlaw fishfinders - problem solved

Offline KAK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Jan 11, 2013, 12:41 PM »
GREAT POST HIGH TIDE. I'VE ENJOYED READING THE DISCUSSION YOU HAVE PROMPTED. SEEING HOW IT IS 56 DEGREES OUT I HAVE HAD PLENTY OF TIME TO READ THE REPLIES. FISH ON!

Offline graham

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 11, 2013, 01:38 PM »
This is why with out a doubt, a bag limit on panfish will need to be enacted with the next five year, or our kids won't have the interest to go fishing, because it will be so hard to get on a consistant bite.  I was amazed at the number of guys on the ice this year with vexs, marcums, etc... more have them than not! If a fisherman says that they don't have an effect on today's fishing, they need to get their head out of the sand.  The sonar is only have the battle.  When I took my daughter out the other day, I first grabbed my 78sc (handled garmin) that can get me within 3 ft. of the structure I marked with my Humminbird SI from the summer, with a simple waypoint manager called GPS Babel.  Got on the lake, drill 5 holes directly over said structure, dropped the vex in and walla, fish! If Grandpa had that technology, with no bag limits, I wonder how much more fishing were to decline! Explaining this process to my daughter was like explaining calculus, and I thought about my first ice adventures with my dad and it was drill a hole because I caught them here once wait for the bobber to move son... and don't forget to jig it. Now I know I have a bit more technology then most because I tournament fish, but if everybody has a vex, how much longer before everybody has SI and handhelds. What if I said to myself, well the DNR says it ain't illegal, so I'm going to take whats mine! It's like saying good luck to my daughter... or yeah better buy a time share in Canada!!

Heck--I got this for my droid for $10!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/marine-lakes-usa/id377908737?mt=8

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Jan 11, 2013, 03:40 PM »
I was amazed at the number of guys on the ice this year with vexs, marcums, etc... more have them than not!

I have only been out once this year.  Over the course of that day I saw about 8 other guys fishing, and all of them had electronics.  Five years ago it seemed like under half had them.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline walkerd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 12, 2013, 05:35 AM »
electronics only help you find fish, You have to catch them. ive seen guys with electronics not catch a fish, while I sit and catch without electronics. Just sayen....
Oh yea and to comment on the post that is for trophy bluegill switch to bass or pike. We love to eat our bluegills............. .

Offline ice57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Jan 12, 2013, 06:27 AM »
I agree High Tides, i do selective fishing, sort thru the females, And of those monster fish i keep half. Another thing i do is keep between 6-12 fish. another thing i do I'm tight lipped about those honey holes, we've all seen it happen....Now days my circle of ice men are down to the 3 of us.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Jan 12, 2013, 06:53 AM »
Interestingly enough the trophy gill waters that I know of or should I say the ones I consider to have upper end gills in them are heavily pressured bodies of water. How can we be sure that if the harvest on these lakes was reduced by an unknown factor, say 50% or more couldn't possibly have a negative effect? I would think the waxing and waning of good/bad spawning years could have more effect on numbers of age class fish than harvesting from fisherman. I am speaking of lakes300 acres and up. The reality is we just dont know how many fish are take annually from any given public body of water or what the ideal number is for any given lake. I personally am one of the guys who only keeps gills in the winter and maybe 5-6 times in the summer because of chasing walleye, deer property management , golfing and of course family activities...so I dont see any problem with keeping a full bucket of gills when they are biting through the in my situation. I know I will likely no t keep more than 600-700 gills in a year.that is way less fish than a guy whose only hobby is gill fishing and that would keep a 25 or 35 fish 50+ times a year
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #69 on: Jan 12, 2013, 07:33 AM »
good point TKO! there are a couple waters i know that get absolutely hammered and just keep on producing good gills. would the fish stunt if the locals weren't pulling those 50-100+ fish days, 4 times a week? or would there be an unimaginable number of better than average gills? with the differences in lakes, it would have to be a lake by lake, never ending sampling, regulation thing. imo 

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #70 on: Jan 12, 2013, 07:48 AM »
good point TKO! there are a couple waters i know that get absolutely hammered and just keep on producing good gills. would the fish stunt if the locals weren't pulling those 50-100+ fish days, 4 times a week? or would there be an unimaginable number of better than average gills? with the differences in lakes, it would have to be a lake by lake, never ending sampling, regulation thing. imo

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!  That is my opinion as well. 

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Jan 12, 2013, 08:07 AM »
I agree that the waters that produce the best sized bluegills are the ones fished the hardest.  During the summer I prefer to fish the lakes that give up the big fish and would rather catch 15-20 of them than go somewhere that I can catch 65 to keep the same amount.  None of this matters without being enforced though.  Michigan DNR from what I have heard is almost broke and counties that used to have 2-3 CO per county now have 1 CO that takes care of 3 counties.  I believe that the majority of people would follow the rules but there will always be people breaking the rules.  Without having CO's on the lake and enforcing the rules there will be more people less likely to follow them.  I've seen multiple times if CO does show up several guys that cant get their gear packed up fast enough and take off.  Bass season in Michigan closes on January 1st and Ive seen countless times where guys catch a nice bass on accident through the ice and try to hide it in their shanty somewhere when they pack up so they can take it home.  I guess none of this matters if Indiana never puts a bag limit on panfish, but if they do I think it should be heavily enforced to keep everyone on the same page.  I know there isint enough CO's to be on all of the lakes but seeing them out a little more would be nice.  If you are following the rules I believe you should welcome seeing them as well.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Jan 12, 2013, 08:19 AM »
I agree that the waters that produce the best sized bluegills are the ones fished the hardest.  During the summer I prefer to fish the lakes that give up the big fish and would rather catch 15-20 of them than go somewhere that I can catch 65 to keep the same amount.  None of this matters without being enforced though.  Michigan DNR from what I have heard is almost broke and counties that used to have 2-3 CO per county now have 1 CO that takes care of 3 counties.  I believe that the majority of people would follow the rules but there will always be people breaking the rules.  Without having CO's on the lake and enforcing the rules there will be more people less likely to follow them.  I've seen multiple times if CO does show up several guys that cant get their gear packed up fast enough and take off.  Bass season in Michigan closes on January 1st and Ive seen countless times where guys catch a nice bass on accident through the ice and try to hide it in their shanty somewhere when they pack up so they can take it home.  I guess none of this matters if Indiana never puts a bag limit on panfish, but if they do I think it should be heavily enforced to keep everyone on the same page.  I know there isint enough CO's to be on all of the lakes but seeing them out a little more would be nice.  If you are following the rules I believe you should welcome seeing them as well.

Great points.  It comes down to we must police ourselves.  As my Dad would say a lock on a door only keeps the honest man out. 

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Jan 12, 2013, 09:08 AM »
Another factor....size is absolutely relative. What do you guys consider a "good", or trophy Gill? 10" is a commonly thrown out number, so what percentage of your catch on that good BG lake consists of fish that meet that standard? In a normal year I see lots of pics with big numbers of gills here on Iceshanty, but seldom are all of the fish in the photo of that 10" class. In my opinion, a lake that consistently produces catch ratios where 50% or more of an angler's fish are 10" or over, is a good BOW. But I still don't believe that any lake will support continual harvests of those fish without the effects being felt....length alone is not an accurate assessment of a fish's health, and a good BOW will produce fish that are heavy...there's enough forage in the water to support those fish, and grow them to a pound or more, which is what a 10", well fed BG should weigh.

I would just like to see one or two lakes managed for bigger fish. Not a statewide limit, or slot, as all BOW are different. Just an experiment to see if it could be done, and what the public's reaction and support would be.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Jan 12, 2013, 09:27 AM »
Sprkplug

50% over 10" would be a amazing. My question is could the fish in those waters continue to grow if the thousands of fish that were not harvested because of the slot were sharing the food source? Like isaid lake that produces10" regularly were to have an immediate 10 fish limit where the fish had to be 10" or larger what would happen?

on another note isn't the reason that new ponds, reservoirs have such high growth rates of the fish in the initial few years because of the abundance of forage ? So lakes that have an excellent forage base naturally, can high harvest of fish in those waters cause that super fast growth rate to perpetuate vs. Slow as the increasing fish numbers reduce the forage available per fish?
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 12, 2013, 09:51 AM »
Sprkplug

50% over 10" would be a amazing. My question is could the fish in those waters continue to grow if the thousands of fish that were not harvested because of the slot were sharing the food source? Like if a said lake that produces10" regularly were to have an immediate 10 fish limit where the fish had to be 10" or larger what would happen?

look at michigan, wisconsin, and minnesota...folks report alot bigger gills up there than in our indiana waters. why is that? is it the 25 limit or perhaps more fertile waters with less pressure? i do know its not because of being fished heavily.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Jan 12, 2013, 09:56 AM »
That's a good question ;D  Personally, I think that some type of harvest would be required for our Indiana lakes. I do believe that some BOW could get by without harvests, if other factors were manipulated to offset  the lack of harvests....supplement al feeding of the fish is a big one, along with maintaining a high density of predators to reduce young fish, and keeping a fanatical control over aquatic vegetation. But all of those things mean money spent, and time on the water implementing the policies...neither of which do I see happening in the near future.

That's why I said what I did in an earlier post about my belief that selective harvesting and slot limits are the down and dirty quick way to try and manage a fish population....it's relatively cheap, with enforcement of the regs being the main reason for time spent on the water....(no feeders to fill, or weed chemicals to spray,) and...it can produce results.

My take....a fish's growth is indeterminate. It will grow as long as the environment it lives in allows for that growth. Restrict some aspect of it's environment, and growth will suffer. I think some type of harvest would be necessary, but again, that's just my opinion. There are many elements that go into producing trophy fish, some of which may not be easily recognized at first. Every BOW is unique, and the management plan should be tweaked to suit it.....not the other way around.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Jan 12, 2013, 10:07 AM »
look at michigan, wisconsin, and minnesota...folks report alot bigger gills up there than in our indiana waters. why is that? is it the 25 limit or perhaps more fertile waters with less pressure? i do know its not because of being fished heavily.

Still waiting on a pic of a natural gill over 12" from the upper Midwest. Even in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan with 25 fish limits no one has come up with a pic. IMO I dont see the upside of a 25 fish limit because2-3# panfish dont come from the icebelt to begin with nor can they be grown with special regulations with any regularity. I do know what our state records, but those are exceptions 

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Jan 12, 2013, 10:12 AM »

Still waiting on a pic of a natural gill over 12" from the upper Midwest. Even in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan with 25 fish limits no one has come up with a pic. IMO I dont see the upside of a 25 fish limit because2-3# panfish dont come from the icebelt to begin with nor can they be grown with special regulations with any regularity. I do know what our state records, but those are exceptions
i agree but i want to know why these places tend to grow bigger gills...it is more common to catch 10" gills up in those areas.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Jan 12, 2013, 10:20 AM »
I would guess low numbers of panfish with less competition for specific forage coupled with more predator fish per acre?

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Jan 12, 2013, 10:53 AM »
Excellent discussion! I believe some or all those states have 25 per day limits on panfish. When it comes down to it, look at the lakes mentioned on this site in that last 10 years with above average gill population that average 8"+ size gills. Guys drive all over the state to fish said lakes, some traveling 3-4 hours, just to get a nice mess of keepers. Why? Because quite frankly, there aren't that many in the state! FW is a perfect example, how many guys target Round given the 100's of lakes that's in a 50 mile radius? Summit is even worse because Central Indiana is EVERY limited when it comes to good gill waters (and look how many guys struggled this year there to get a good mess). The Slough seems to reset every decade, and stocked gills genes, seem to be far superior to natural reproduction. My question is why? How come a lake that gets drained, and restocked 4 years later have HOGS? They clearly had enough forage to get monstrous! Is it because the numbers on gills were more exact in relation to forage? I still think we need to do something, you shouldn't have to drive 2 hours to catch good gills consistently! Wisconsin and Minnesota would be an even tougher sell for panfish limits, being that they have 1,000s of more acres to fish. 
I'm going soft water fishing... But I hope this remains a cordial discussion!

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Jan 12, 2013, 10:58 AM »
Doug, I'm going stir crazy.  Pick me up on the way.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Jan 12, 2013, 11:00 AM »
Doug, I'm going stir crazy.  Pick me up on the way.
Come on down, you know your always welcome! Hopefully, I'll be picking you up in two weeks on my way to SB!!

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Jan 12, 2013, 11:05 AM »
 :bow:

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #84 on: Jan 12, 2013, 08:05 PM »

The majority of Michigan waters that I fish for gills and bass are not fertile.  They are very clear bodies of water.  I think the 25 fish limit has alot to do with it in Michigan.  Not sure about Wisc or Minn as I have never fished there.  I do know 2 lakes in northern Michigan that would kick out many 1lb gills 20 or so years ago.  I used to fish them with my Grandfather every fall and you could not even grab the gills with your hand they were so 'tall'.  You had to pin them down on the boat seat to get the hook out.  It has been forever since I fished either, but I would bet they still churn out big gills.

Offline spring bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Jan 13, 2013, 01:59 AM »
As interesting as this topic is, I feel that there are too many variables to be dealt with in order for there to be one streamline solution. It has been repeated ample times throughout this thread that every body of water is different and each must have its own, unique solution for a healthy fishery. It all comes down to manpower, as does most things in wildlife conservation. People need to get out and do the fieldwork necessary to make accurate assessments on these bodies of water, and then be provided with the tools necessary to implement these solutions. Then, of course, there is the aspect of enforcement which is a topic in itself.

I personally am not much of a panfisherman, except in the winter, and on occasion in the summer. When I go panfishing, I typically KNOW I'm going to catch some, whether it be on the ice or in open water. Usually, I fish for bass, and part of the reason I love it so much is trying to figure them out on a lake-to-lake, day-to-day, season-to-season basis. Sure, I love catching them, and go fishing where I know I can land some fish, but figuring out a bass pattern is rewarding to me, and far moreso than a bluegill bite.

So that being said, sprkplug had previously said lakes fostered for big bluegill typically suffer in the bass department. However, some lakes in Michigan that I've fished have solid bass populations and have ample 9" gills and bigger redear that have been caught by accident while bass fishing. This could be due to the fact that there is more of a smallmouth presence, which don't feed on bluegill as heavily as largemouth do, especially when there are perch in the lake. But all in all, I don't feel that a fishery should be 'geared' towards or 'favor' a specific species. I feel that the fishery as a whole should be on the forefront of any 'selective harvest' rules applied. That being said, the food chain and interconnectedness of species needs to be considered in assessing the fishery in its entirety.
Proud member of the Shiners!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/McLovinLife3

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Jan 13, 2013, 07:10 AM »
Excellent discussion! I believe some or all those states have 25 per day limits on panfish. When it comes down to it, look at the lakes mentioned on this site in that last 10 years with above average gill population that average 8"+ size gills. Guys drive all over the state to fish said lakes, some traveling 3-4 hours, just to get a nice mess of keepers. Why? Because quite frankly, there aren't that many in the state! FW is a perfect example, how many guys target Round given the 100's of lakes that's in a 50 mile radius? Summit is even worse because Central Indiana is EVERY limited when it comes to good gill waters (and look how many guys struggled this year there to get a good mess). The Slough seems to reset every decade, and stocked gills genes, seem to be far superior to natural reproduction. My question is why? How come a lake that gets drained, and restocked 4 years later have HOGS? They clearly had enough forage to get monstrous! Is it because the numbers on gills were more exact in relation to forage? I still think we need to do something, you shouldn't have to drive 2 hours to catch good gills consistently! Wisconsin and Minnesota would be an even tougher sell for panfish limits, being that they have 1,000s of more acres to fish. 
I'm going soft water fishing... But I hope this remains a cordial discussion!

You touched on something there that always comes into play in my area.  Where I live at, which is lake heavy, a handful of lakes get most of the pressure......Wawasee, Winona, and the Barbee area.  Just within the last week I know a guy that caught his personal best perch and redear a couple of days apart on one of the above mentioned "hot spots".  Those lakes get pressured in both open and hard water but yet always yield hawgs on a regular basis.  Why?  I dunno. But I do know guys continually target those bodies of water.   The whole while a majority of the lakes in my county go under the radar and little is known about the quality of fish coming out of them. 

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:44 AM »
As interesting as this topic is, I feel that there are too many variables to be dealt with in order for there to be one streamline solution. It has been repeated ample times throughout this thread that every body of water is different and each must have its own, unique solution for a healthy fishery. It all comes down to manpower, as does most things in wildlife conservation. People need to get out and do the fieldwork necessary to make accurate assessments on these bodies of water, and then be provided with the tools necessary to implement these solutions. Then, of course, there is the aspect of enforcement which is a topic in itself.

I personally am not much of a panfisherman, except in the winter, and on occasion in the summer. When I go panfishing, I typically KNOW I'm going to catch some, whether it be on the ice or in open water. Usually, I fish for bass, and part of the reason I love it so much is trying to figure them out on a lake-to-lake, day-to-day, season-to-season basis. Sure, I love catching them, and go fishing where I know I can land some fish, but figuring out a bass pattern is rewarding to me, and far moreso than a bluegill bite.

So that being said, sprkplug had previously said lakes fostered for big bluegill typically suffer in the bass department. However, some lakes in Michigan that I've fished have solid bass populations and have ample 9" gills and bigger redear that have been caught by accident while bass fishing. This could be due to the fact that there is more of a smallmouth presence, which don't feed on bluegill as heavily as largemouth do, especially when there are perch in the lake. But all in all, I don't feel that a fishery should be 'geared' towards or 'favor' a specific species. I feel that the fishery as a whole should be on the forefront of any 'selective harvest' rules applied. That being said, the food chain and interconnectedness of species needs to be considered in assessing the fishery in its entirety.

Springbobber, I would like to comment on a few things you expressed in your post.....it's not my intent to upset you, or demean your ideas or fishing preferences. If you are in any way offended by my post, please know that was cetainly not what I set out to do....and if I misinterpret anything you wrote, then that error is mine also, and I apologize. I believe that we should all fish in the legal manner and style that we see fit, and should not be criticized for doing so.

You mentioned not being much of a panfisherman, except during specific periods, as you know you will catch some whenever you go....... Vs. Bass fishing, to which you ascribe a greater level of difficulty, as well as the need to pattern the fish to improve the odds of catching a nice fish. I used to be a bass fisherman, and I know what you're saying. Figuring out the fish and being able to duplicate your success from day to day, and on a different BOW, is part of the enjoyment and satisfaction of fishing. BUT....trophy BG are the same way....I believe that there are good fish, personal best fish, and trophy fish. A single fish may occupy one of those positions, or it may occupy two, or even all three simultaneously.....but that would depend on the definition of "good", and "trophy"....they are not one and the same.

You mentioned some lakes in Michigan that have solid Bass populations, yet still produce ample numbers of 9" gills. Well, taking into account that size is subjective, I'm going to put this out there for everybody to see and criticize, in order to give perspective to what I'm trying to say:

I consider a single nine inch gill to be somewhere between average and good....dependent upon weight. If the BOW continually produces 9" gills with no noticeable decline in size, then I would consider that a good BG lake, but not anything remarkeable. Remember, catching a 2lb. BG is usually considered the equivalent of catching a 12 lb. Largemouth.... how many of us have one of those hanging on the wall, and of those who do, how many of those 12 lb. fish were taken in Indiana??

The point I'm trying to make is this: true trophy BG are in a class by themselves, the same as a trophy Bass would be. Catching one from public water requires the same level of dedication, perserverance, and knowledge that a diehard trophy Bass angler displays. If one is satisfied with a 9" BG as being an acceptable high water mark for his/her tastes, then perhaps the notion that they are easy to catch might show merit. But while I don't believe that there are 16" BG swimming around a gravel pit in northern IN., they most certainly do get a LOT bigger than 9-10". And once you add a digital scale to your arsenal instead of just a tape measure, things really get interesting. Most anglers are flabbergasted at finding out that the 10" personal best BG they just caught weighs less than a pound. It takes a LOT to make a trophy Bluegill over 11" or 1.5 lbs....... and finding a BOW that can turn them out with any degree of regularity, without intervention or management, is every bit as difficult as locating a trophy LMB lake.

Again, no disrespect intended.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Jan 13, 2013, 10:26 AM »
Springbobber, I would like to comment on a few things you expressed in your post.....it's not my intent to upset you, or demean your ideas or fishing preferences. If you are in any way offended by my post, please know that was cetainly not what I set out to do....and if I misinterpret anything you wrote, then that error is mine also, and I apologize. I believe that we should all fish in the legal manner and style that we see fit, and should not be criticized for doing so.

You mentioned not being much of a panfisherman, except during specific periods, as you know you will catch some whenever you go....... Vs. Bass fishing, to which you ascribe a greater level of difficulty, as well as the need to pattern the fish to improve the odds of catching a nice fish. I used to be a bass fisherman, and I know what you're saying. Figuring out the fish and being able to duplicate your success from day to day, and on a different BOW, is part of the enjoyment and satisfaction of fishing. BUT....trophy BG are the same way....I believe that there are good fish, personal best fish, and trophy fish. A single fish may occupy one of those positions, or it may occupy two, or even all three simultaneously.....but that would depend on the definition of "good", and "trophy"....they are not one and the same.

You mentioned some lakes in Michigan that have solid Bass populations, yet still produce ample numbers of 9" gills. Well, taking into account that size is subjective, I'm going to put this out there for everybody to see and criticize, in order to give perspective to what I'm trying to say:

I consider a single nine inch gill to be somewhere between average and good....dependent upon weight. If the BOW continually produces 9" gills with no noticeable decline in size, then I would consider that a good BG lake, but not anything remarkeable. Remember, catching a 2lb. BG is usually considered the equivalent of catching a 12 lb. Largemouth.... how many of us have one of those hanging on the wall, and of those who do, how many of those 12 lb. fish were taken in Indiana??

The point I'm trying to make is this: true trophy BG are in a class by themselves, the same as a trophy Bass would be. Catching one from public water requires the same level of dedication, perserverance, and knowledge that a diehard trophy Bass angler displays. If one is satisfied with a 9" BG as being an acceptable high water mark for his/her tastes, then perhaps the notion that they are easy to catch might show merit. But while I don't believe that there are 16" BG swimming around a gravel pit in northern IN., they most certainly do get a LOT bigger than 9-10". And once you add a digital scale to your arsenal instead of just a tape measure, things really get interesting. Most anglers are flabbergasted at finding out that the 10" personal best BG they just caught weighs less than a pound. It takes a LOT to make a trophy Bluegill over 11" or 1.5 lbs....... and finding a BOW that can turn them out with any degree of regularity, without intervention or management, is every bit as difficult as locating a trophy LMB lake.

That wire within you that says, this fish is my favorite fish to target, and is at the forefront of your mind every time your on the water deserves respect in every facet!  I love fishing with a guy who's true passion is a specific fish, regardless of my preference. There is so much you can learn from that guy, if he's perfecting his craft often! Those guys are the same ones who lead efforts for getting legislation pass at the state level, but not without support from fellow voters/fisherman he's got nothing. However, it doesn't sound like their is overwhelming support for bluegill limits... Probably the most pursued fish in our public waters, which comes as a surprise. I didn't want to make this comment because I'm bias, but I think it's a lot easier to find 10"+, crappie in our state than 8-1/2" gills and there is a 25 fish limit on those in Indiana.

Offline spring bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Jan 13, 2013, 11:07 AM »

No offense taken here, sprkplug. I guess my post did seem a little distasteful towards panfishing and I apologize. I was simply stating that 9-10" gills are "solid" for me personally, and that they can coincide well in a fishery with "solid" 3-5lb bass. ANYONE who targets a specific species for the sole purpose of catching trophy fish has my respect regardless of species. For example in the bassfishing world, there is a well documented story of these 3 guys who went out every day to lake Dixon (CA) for months in search of a world record bass. ANY time they had off of work, they were at this lake looking for this 23lb behemoth. I can post a youtube video or you can just search "dottie lake dixon" and watch it. Anyone who displays that kind of dedication and effort deserves to be admired in the fishing world, as most outsiders just consider them crazy  ;D.

That being said, I think it is well documented where (and sometimes when) trophy fish of each species can be caught. For example, when I want to try and catch a 6+ smallmouth, I go up to Michigan. As I said, I am not well versed in bluegill fishing nationally, but I am sure there are locations known to hold big gills. With gills however, it becomes an issue of what 'strain' of bluegill you are after. With bass, there are really only a few distinct species and 3 strains of Largemouth, one of which is the Florida strain which are clearly biggest, yet most finicky. That being said, unless something is done in IN to enhance bluegill sizes, catching a trophy gill in IN seems to be more of a 'stumble upon' method, where you catch maybe one out of hundreds that is 10+ inches of PURE bluegill, which I'm assuming is what most bluegill trophy fisherman are after in the Upper Midwest.

Also sprkplug, you said you place more emphasis on weight than length when determining a bluegill's 'rank' or healthiness and I think more people should do this. I fish for heavy bass, not necessarily long ones. For example river fish tend to be long and skinny and an 18" smallie is lucky to go 2lb at times. For some reason, and I'm sure most people who fish Mich/Ind waters could attest to this, but Michigan gills seem to be much heavier and have bigger 'shoulders' than most I catch in Indiana. I don't know if they're doing it 'right' per say in Michigan, but they are doing something better than us down here in Indiana in creating a good balance between population and forage so these gills can grow to be thick, heavy, solid gills.

*If anything I say offends ANYONE in any way, please inform me of such, as that is not my intent
Proud member of the Shiners!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/McLovinLife3

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.