The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Flying with your Ice Gear??  (Read 413 times)

Offline TJet Apprentice45

• Team IceShanty Regular
Flying with your Ice Gear??
« on: Dec 04, 2012, 03:10 PM »
I'm going to be in MN over the holidays and we're going to go hit Mille Lacs for a day.  Anyone had any experience flying with your ice gear?  I'm only thinking tip ups, some takle maybe a jigging rod and MAYBE my Vex (that one scares me a little, leaning more towards leaving the vex at home)
Anyone ever packed their ice gear for a plane ride?  Any issues or horor stories that would make a guy second guess that idea?
Slugs "N" Sinkers Jet Boating

Offline MoreTroutPls

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Flying with your Ice Gear??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2012, 04:43 PM »
I've checked lots of tackle for flights without incident.   ;D  I have checked a Marcum flasher without a problem. 

Check the FAA/TSA rules for hazardous and prohibited items such as gasoline, propane, certain types of batteries, lighters, etc.  Carry on restrictions ban tools such as forceps, pliers, knives, jaw spreaders, multi-tools, spuds, gaffs, hand augers.   >:(  They may all go in checked bags if you can figure out how to pack them to avoid damage to them or to your bag/airplane/handler.

Whatever you check, pack it well with padding all around. Be sure rods are padded and in a sturdy rod tube.  Fold reel handles and wrap in bubble wrap or use clothing for padding. You can be sure your checked bag will be dropped, slammed, and on the bottom of a big stack at some time.  :%$#!:

You can typically carry on nonmetallic rod cases if they are short enough to fit in overhead compartments.

Sometimes hooks and lures will set off TSA inspectors, so I always check them.

If in doubt, ask the airline, but don't expect to get the same answer twice.  When in doubt, check it or leave it home.  Some folks are now sending fishing gear ahead by UPS/USPS if they have time and a firm destination.  That can be less expensive than paying checked bag fees.

These days every piece of luggage gets X-rayed.  If an inspector has any doubts, they will open the bag and see what is inside.  If so, they are supposed to insert a note to that effect.  Yes, my bags have been opened, but nothing was missing.

Good luck and tight lines.
Everyone has to believe in something.  I believe I'll go fishing.
Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
Re: Flying with your Ice Gear??
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2012, 06:33 PM »
I think flying the gear in is OK or this is what we did.
When Rosie and I went to Millie Lacs for the Brainards Derby, we shipped our stuff via Grey Hound bus out of Missoula to the place we stayed at.  It was like 60LBS. for $25.00 RT if I remember correctly.  It was waiting at the local bus station for us.  Black ABS box and it had a break down hand auger, 6 or 7 poles with reels, all the lures for ice fishing, and the winter gear, boots, clothes etc.  The gear beat us there and then beat us back.

It was worth it not to hassle with the load.

wish you many hook-ups

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.