The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Smoked Turkey Recipe?  (Read 1988 times)

Offline TJet Apprentice45

• Team IceShanty Regular
Smoked Turkey Recipe?
« on: Nov 21, 2012, 08:44 AM »
So i've got a wild turkey I shot that I'd like to get into the smoker one of these days, not for tomorrow, but soon.  What do you guys suggest for brines and smoke?  What temps should a wild bird get to to be done and safe to eat? I've never done a full bird in the smoker so don't want to screw it up to bad.
Slugs "N" Sinkers Jet Boating

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
Re: Smoked Turkey Recipe?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2012, 09:18 AM »
to truely smoke something it needs to be at temperatures of 185 or less.  If you are at temps above 185 then you are cooking/roasting with smoke added the results are different.  You can use fruit wood, hickory or mesquite for birds.  Consumer preference prevails.  Basic brine of salt and brown sugar maybe add some bay leaf and you should be good.  I'm not a fan of spicing up brines although I do like a little garlic now and then...

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2012, 10:16 AM »
For both fish and birds I like salt and brown sugar but don't use the brown sugar that you get at the store, they make it with low grade molasses and it has very little flavor. Make your own by finding the best full flavor dark molasses you can get your hands on and mix one cup regular sugar to two tablespoons of molasses. Do that for as many cups of brown sugar as you need for your brine.

Offline Icecrazy55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2012, 10:38 AM »
I am smoking a wild turkey tomorrow. I use a salt and brown sugar brine. Make sure your brine is completely cooled before you drop your bird in and the bring is completely thawed. I smoke at 120 for 8 to 10 hours. You will want to make sure the skin is on the bird. That protects the bird from drying out and will keep any soot off the meat. I am not a pro but think smoking a bird is easy and really hard to mess up if you just give it time to smoke. Don't keep opening the smoker or it will take longer. You can PM me if you have any questions.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2012, 12:04 PM »
For both fish and birds I like salt and brown sugar but don't use the brown sugar that you get at the store, they make it with low grade molasses and it has very little flavor. Make your own by finding the best full flavor dark molasses you can get your hands on and mix one cup regular sugar to two tablespoons of molasses. Do that for as many cups of brown sugar as you need for your brine.

I've never done that before Andy...I'll have to give that a try!  I always use the Dark brown sugar not the light stuff...

Brines tend to be very different, I prefer a strong brine for a short time as compared to the oposite...  In general I take 2 gallons of cold water and add 2 cups of pickling salt(non iodized is why I use pickling salt) and 2 cups of brown sugar.  Mix til its dissolved and I brine for 2-4 hours depending on how much meat I put in the bucket...more meat=more time...Hope you enjoy your bird!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2012, 12:22 PM »
Thanks guys, that's perfect, exactly what I was looking for... I'll post some pics when I get it done.    cornbread, thanks for the tip on the brown sugar, i'll really be able to put that to work on some trout this winter.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2012, 06:14 PM »
Brines are brines so choose a brine which appeals to you. I go without the brine. From smoking poultry for years, I've learned if you want a crisper skin go with a higher smoking temp. I'm around 250-265 degrees. Lower temps will turn out more of  a "rubbery" skiin. In competition BBQ, this is bad. There will be plenty of smoke throughout the turkey at higher temps (just did three). Use a temp probe, a Weber Wireless is what I use for birds, and I take my turkey to 165 then remove from the smoker and cover in foil. The temp will rise a bit after removing. Taking birds to 185 results in a dry white meat, and is no longer required, the USDA agrees with 165 internal temp.

The post mentioning smoking at 120 is slightly off base as bacteria can survive up to temps of 130. 120 is more of a cold smoking technique for dry curing/smoking for preservation purposes, where preparation/dining smoking is done at higher temps.

Most meat cuts (pork butts, shoulders, roasts, ribs, etc.) are smoked at lower temps from the 170 area, to 220. These temps are used to dissolve the collagen holding the meat together, which then runs through the cut of meat, to make the cut moist and tender. Turkey and poultry in general do not have the same structure as pork shoulders, roasts and ribs, and there is no real benefit to smoking at lower temps. Most meats quit taking on smoke flavor within after 140 degrees.

For seasonings I'll use copious amounts of fresh ground black pepper (never use can or store bought pepper), kosher salt, and then a variety of other seasonings over the bird. A good cajun seasoning is excellent and holds up well to the smoke and cooking process. I don't marinade either, and have all but quit marinading turkey's for the fryer, unless someone specifically requests one.

Anyhow, hope this helps you. FWIW, I've catered many BBQ events in the past and the only real piece of advice I'd give you is to stay well away from 120 degrees for bacterial reasons. From the Center For Disease Control and Prevention: The "danger zone" is between 40 and 140°F — the temperature range where foodborne bacteria multiply rapidly.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2012, 08:01 PM »
Good info Wyo, thanks:)

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2012, 07:30 AM »
Wyo that's great, thanks a bunch.  I'll take some pictures of how everything turns out when I get it done.

Thanks again for the help.

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2012, 09:46 AM »
Here is my process, I do 4 at a time and have done many over the years. Had best luck with turkey 12#-15#

I use "Morton's Sugar Cure, smoke flavor" ......I buy mine at Safeway.

Mix 3 cups of sugar cure with 2 TBL spoons of the spice with 3 gallons of water in a 5 gallon bucket. Mix well with cordless drill with a paint stirrer. Put bird in and soak for 4 days. Must keep cool.

-bird in smoker and "dry" bird at 120° for 1-2 hours,

-smoke for 5-6 hours

-raise temp to 200°-240° and cook bird to an internal temp of 165°

Offline montanahardwater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2012, 06:19 PM »
Choke cherry wood....Great for birds and fish!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2012, 10:34 PM »
Nothing to do with smoking but I fried up a Cajun Creole Cold Smoke turkey for Thanksgiving.....light s out!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2012, 05:10 AM »
Nothing to do with smoking but I fried up a Cajun Creole Cold Smoke turkey for Thanksgiving.....light s out!
Good eats right there! I'd rather fry a turkey myself!

Offline jayjjetplane

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2012, 06:46 PM »

Interesting, I never thought of using Choke Cherry. Excited to try it out.

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2012, 07:01 PM »
Interesting, I never thought of using Choke Cherry. Excited to try it out.

I've never used it,either, and I've got lots in the back yard. Definitely going to try it and thanks for the tip.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.