Author Topic: Inventions  (Read 451665 times)

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
Re: Inventions
« Reply #510 on: Mar 15, 2014, 06:56 PM »
Now your thinkin. Great work. looks great

Offline Allfishinnocatchin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #511 on: Mar 20, 2014, 08:26 PM »

The stand I made. I like having the tip up flag because sometimes I have 250 yards between my poles, and when a laker has 150' of line down a hole it's sure nice to wind it back up with a reel, plus you get to play the fish. The only down side is these things haul terribly in your sled. I carry 4 of them. They are the unruly children of the gear in the sled. They tangle up in every thing in the sled. Or some how manage to fall off silently right after you do your look back, so that you don't notice until you have to walk back 50 yards to pick it up.

The pole I made out of a broken long pole. It's bowed because there was a 5lb brown on it, first day out no less.

Offline Allfishinnocatchin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #512 on: Mar 20, 2014, 08:27 PM »

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Homemade Tip Up Lights
« Reply #513 on: Aug 04, 2014, 10:33 PM »
Homemade Tip Up Lights

Hope you find it useful.

this is a great idea don't get me wrong just a different take on it.  not sure if my idea will work for light flags.  but it is very similar to your get some bike tire light the kind that flicker as you pedal that kids use on their bike tires  like lighted valve caps.  seen a gentlemen using them on his bell wile fishing up north for walleye. mite be easier to do then you think.  just get some rubber valve stems like for a car  and attach a snap swivels threw the valve stem and screw the light on to the valve stem. then attach to tip up or even epoxy the valve stem threw center of valve stem  of a round flag post then as it flips up it creates motion triggering the lights. hope this helps got to order some for me soon too...

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #514 on: Sep 16, 2014, 08:06 PM »
Here is a shelf that I built to fit in my QuickFlip. I made it 7.5" wide so it will hold the sidewall out and stop it from flapping in the wind. It is very sturdy, I can put my full thermos, gloves and spare rod on it and it does not tilt at all. Works better than I expected for such a simple design.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline wolffpack08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #515 on: Sep 24, 2014, 08:38 PM »
Here is a shelf that I built to fit in my QuickFlip. I made it 7.5" wide so it will hold the sidewall out and stop it from flapping in the wind. It is very sturdy, I can put my full thermos, gloves and spare rod on it and it does not tilt at all. Works better than I expected for such a simple design.

(Image removed from quote.)
Does the front of the board hold the back side up?

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #516 on: Sep 24, 2014, 08:49 PM »
It looks to me that the angle of the rear pole is what keeps it in place

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #517 on: Sep 24, 2014, 09:31 PM »
The combination of the two poles going through the 1" & 2" boards are what keeps the shelf level...it is important to have the pole holes tight so the shelf does not wobble on the poles.

Here are some better pictures of the shelf installed. You can see in the last picture how it holds the outside of the tent wall out and tight to allow for more room inside and to stop the material from flapping in the wind.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #518 on: Sep 24, 2014, 11:08 PM »
The combination of the two poles going through the 1" & 2" boards are what keeps the shelf level...it is important to have the pole holes tight so the shelf does not wobble on the poles.

Here are some better pictures of the shelf installed. You can see in the last picture how it holds the outside of the tent wall out and tight to allow for more room inside and to stop the material from flapping in the wind.

Great design... Many situations call for a little "real estate"when there's precious little available.  Phone, camera brew, for some folks here in CO a big fattie (gave it up years ago), lunch, next jig, last jig, puck on and on.  Nicely done!

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #519 on: Sep 25, 2014, 08:48 AM »
Great shelf!  I'm gonna have to make me a couple before the season gets going!

I've seen the smaller ones they sell commercially but I like your design better.

Good work! 

:tipup:

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #520 on: Sep 25, 2014, 11:59 AM »
Great shelf!  I'm gonna have to make me a couple before the season gets going!

I've seen the smaller ones they sell commercially but I like your design better.

Good work! 

:tipup:

Yes Jim, I have looked at the commercial ones as well (Side Baiters) and have read reports that the rubber straps that are used to hold them in place are very poor quality and break often. I do not want to own something that is always in need of repair. Also the commercial ones do not hold the side of the tent outwards like my design does, and they are only about 1/2 the size.

For anyone concerned about the shelf rubbing on the tent wall....I don't think it will be an issue because its not  tight, but if I find it becomes an issue my plan is to attach a strip of foam water pipe insulation to the shelf.

I used was a piece of 1" x 8" & a piece of 2" x 4" to make the shelf.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #521 on: Nov 19, 2014, 10:27 PM »

Catchin' Fish

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #522 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:06 AM »
Good work, they work pretty well.
<===Lefty===

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #523 on: Nov 20, 2014, 12:30 PM »
I made my own version of one a couple years ago too.  they are nice for shallow water trout fishing.  Not sure when the official jaw jacker came out to store shelves, but my friends have using homemade versions for years.  When the rod goes off, the upright board falls back and makes a slap that you can hear.

Offline BrianB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #524 on: Dec 01, 2014, 12:48 PM »
Hope this is the right place to show what I started with and progressed to.

Im a huge fan of the Fin Bore 3.  IMO The best hand auger produced. Ya we can argue that til the cows come home.LOL

Im also walker and the least amount of weight I have to drag the better. Making my day go easy means no manual drilling . Bad shoulder. Ya sucks getting old. ::) I also dont want to be dealing with a gas jobber that wont start when I get out there.

So a quick and dirty design at first,lead to tweaking and I came up with the following last fall.

I just let the blades do their job. No forcing the auger down.

At the end of the season,I recorded the following with a 6 inch auger.

10-20 inches of ice,I would get 15-18 holes per battery.

One outing on Simcoe, I got 10 holes through 36 inches of ice. Like I say,let the blades do the work.

The first video, Im using an old drill. Bought a new one and it made a world of difference.

It,s your basic 18 volt cordless with the XRP batteries.

IMO, the trick to battery life is having the drill in the number 2 position.  I also keep my batteries in an insulated lunch bag with those disposable hand warmers. One of the 12 hour ones will do just fine.

So here is what I started with,and then the extension ones I ended up with.

Trial run ( not sure how to post videos here)

Then I started to make the extension type

Hope you like.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #525 on: Dec 01, 2014, 03:43 PM »
looks great should work fine

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #526 on: Dec 15, 2014, 07:48 PM »
Here is a picture of a gaff that took all of 3 minutes to make out of an old paint roller.

Its nice and short for use in the flip over.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #527 on: Dec 15, 2014, 10:12 PM »
Neat idea, Should work good.
<===Lefty===

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #528 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:24 AM »
Nice gaff........great idea from a normal household piece laying around in garage collecting dust.
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #529 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:02 AM »

Rod rack installed behind seat in Kenai

Offline hoosierdad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #530 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:33 PM »
great job!
love to fish....hate to work

Offline madeinmichigan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #531 on: Dec 30, 2014, 09:03 PM »
Here is a picture of a gaff that took all of 3 minutes to make out of an old paint roller.

Its nice and short for use in the flip over.

nice gaff have you tried it out yet? How strong is it when pulling up a big fish? I
 have a few of these laying around in my garage. I think i might make one this weekend. Nice thing is you can even hook a pole to it to make it longer so you don't have you stick your hand in the cold water.
[/size]
A reel expert can tackle anything

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #532 on: Jan 01, 2015, 12:12 AM »
nice gaff have you tried it out yet? How strong is it when pulling up a big fish? I
 have a few of these laying around in my garage. I think i might make one this weekend. Nice thing is you can even hook a pole to it to make it longer so you don't have you stick your hand in the cold water.

I have not used it yet this year, as I have not had time to get out onto the ice yet, but I did use it last season. It works great in the flipover and is plenty strong enough for any fish I target. I like it best for the toothy criters and it allows me not to have to lift on the rod and hook.

You are correct .....you could screw a handle into the roller handle and have a nice extension for it.

Offline David Sawyer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ain't catchin if you ain't fishin
Re: Inventions "fish-n-buddy" auto set
« Reply #533 on: Jan 27, 2015, 10:35 AM »
I came up with this one, if you look at my other posts you will see how well it's been hammering the walleye this year!

So far I've taken pictures, blueprints etc. and mailed them sealed to myself to prove I designed the idea. I am currently in process of the patent search and patent pending verification.

I would really like to find a sponsor, such as cabelas, frabill or somebody who might be interested in mass production and getting them on the shelves!

Anyone with advice in the matter would be greatly appreciated

Best regards-David Sawyer

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #534 on: Jan 27, 2015, 11:17 AM »
I came up with this one, if you look at my other posts you will see how well it's been hammering the walleye this year!

So far I've taken pictures, blueprints etc. and mailed them sealed to myself to prove I designed the idea. I am currently in process of the patent search and patent pending verification.

I would really like to find a sponsor, such as cabelas, frabill or somebody who might be interested in mass production and getting them on the shelves!

Anyone with advice in the matter would be greatly appreciated

Cool
That looks allot like the ones I make but different.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=17919.440
post 442
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #535 on: Jan 27, 2015, 03:11 PM »
That's exactly like mine, only different.  ;D.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #536 on: Jan 27, 2015, 03:50 PM »
That's exactly like mine, only different.  ;D.

This has been around for a long time my grandfather had something like it for eel and cat fishing soft water.
Thomas Harris

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #537 on: Jan 29, 2015, 12:13 PM »
Here is my latest and "greatest" DIY project. (I have my frugal New England heritage to thank for this napkin drawn design) Its a Knock off of the Jawjacker style rigs.
Made from stuff I had hoarded over the years: (2) 12'' lengts of oak flooring, 1.5" copper pipe, 1" square aluminum stock, misc hardware.

Chasing Ice

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #538 on: Jan 29, 2015, 05:29 PM »
     Upgrading ~ Customizing Schooly Reels from Plastic to Stainless Steel Mounting.

The center plastic pin for the reel can part/break by too much tension on the knurled 'drag-tension-nut'.

To remedy this with a wonderful up grade, begin by removing this plastic reel mount and line eyelet.

At the hardware store, get the bushing to fit the reel hub first, then select a bolt diameter and length to facilitate the space for washers, reel hub and wing nut. Be certain all parts are stainless steel.

Drill through the handle in a direction you prefer, and make it a slightly under sized hole. Just a little thread grip is nice.

Install the bolt  with a nylock nut (on the reel side).

Then at least 3 stainless flat washers and a bushing  for the reel hub center hole, a few more stainless flat washers, one of which can be a 'spring washer, topped off with a wing nut.

Shorten the wings if need be.

Shorten the excess bolt length, with a nut on there to clean up the threads after cutting.

That bushing for the reel center hole should be less in length than the distance thought the reel hub, helps with a fine tuned drag.

When ready for final assembly, lube all contact points with your favorite.

With that plastic mount removed, as Kevin23 related : Install a single foot line guide, in it's place.

This results in a very dependable and fine adjustable drag for a schooly reel.     ;)2

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #539 on: Jan 29, 2015, 11:38 PM »
Here is my latest and "greatest" DIY project. (I have my frugal New England heritage to thank for this napkin drawn design) Its a Knock off of the Jawjacker style rigs.
Made from stuff I had hoarded over the years: (2) 12'' lengts of oak flooring, 1.5" copper pipe, 1" square aluminum stock, misc hardware.

They are nice I hope your selling them to your bait shop @)
Thomas Harris

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.