Author Topic: Inventions  (Read 451077 times)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Inventions
« Reply #480 on: Jan 22, 2014, 02:43 AM »
Yup ;D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #481 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:35 AM »
Shanty light;

RG

Love the idea!! Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #482 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:45 AM »
Love the idea!! Smitty
I was thinking of you the other day. Built a sled for my Commando. Thanks for contributing such a great idea to our site. It's interesting how it's evolved isn't it?

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #483 on: Jan 22, 2014, 02:04 PM »
Playing around today and made this tip Down.

1x2's A few screws,bolts and nuts. Then one Conduit clamp from the hardware. I cut down a 7" long bolt to use as the pivot.
<===Lefty===

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #484 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:25 PM »
Great stuff Lefty. Good way to keep the brain pan busy :thumbsup:

RG

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #485 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:11 PM »
Great stuff Lefty. Good way to keep the brain pan busy :thumbsup:

RG
I was just bored today. Tomorrow I will be fishing. Supposed to snow but only a little.
<===Lefty===

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #486 on: Jan 24, 2014, 12:23 PM »
Great job Lefty...pretty cool... Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #487 on: Jan 24, 2014, 06:18 PM »
It's only an ice fishing invention if you actually take it ice fishing and use it ;D

GO FISH!

RG

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #488 on: Jan 24, 2014, 07:46 PM »
Can't go now until Monday. Will try out my new rod holders.
<===Lefty===

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #489 on: Jan 26, 2014, 08:21 AM »
Show us a picture of it in use.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #490 on: Jan 30, 2014, 10:45 AM »
Nice job Lefty. Looks great!

Offline ICEFISH66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #491 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:19 PM »
Looks great!

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #492 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:23 PM »
Not exactly ground breaking technology here....but I built a fillet station in my garage. I love to have a meal or two of panfish and eyes.

So many fish, so little time.

Offline FairIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #493 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:52 PM »
Cool ideas folks... Has anybody had a chance to try them out?

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #494 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:32 PM »
I like the backsplash... What did you seal the seems with dh?

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #495 on: Feb 07, 2014, 12:04 AM »
I like the backsplash... What did you seal the seems with dh?

Plexiglass sealed with 100% silicone attached at the studs with self tappers w/rubber washers. If the silicone wears off over years of use I can just scrape it out and re-caulk it as needed.

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #496 on: Feb 07, 2014, 01:53 PM »
Same sealant as the table?

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #497 on: Feb 07, 2014, 08:51 PM »
AWESOME cleaning station Kyle!

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #498 on: Feb 08, 2014, 09:43 AM »
not mine DH's but I totally agree  ;D

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #499 on: Feb 09, 2014, 02:46 PM »
OOPs my bad

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #500 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:34 AM »
Same sealant as the table?

Used the same silicone to seal seams between sink/table and also between the cut pieces of cutting board.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Homemade Tip Up Lights
« Reply #501 on: Feb 12, 2014, 05:16 AM »
Homemade Tip Up Lights

Materials
Wire (free)
Tilt switches (ebay .30-.50 cents a piece)
Soldering iron or wire wrap tool
Mini Christmas lights (who doesnt have a tangled mass of these waiting to get thrown out?)
Wire connecters (You could also spin and tin if you want)
Electrical tape
9 volt battery connecters (Radio Shack 5/$3)
9 volt battery
Large and small binder clips
Small tie-wraps

If you setup in the dark for the morning bite, or fish into the night for the evening/night bite, these might help you out.  I put reflective tape on my flags and uprights, but that only works when you shine a flashlight at them.   I did this on the cheap with stuff I had lying around. 
I got my tilt switches from ebay, they arent very expensive.  I used the roller bearing style as the mercury in glass didn’t seem durable or a good idea.  The wire I got from digging around the base of telephone poles where its used in cross boxes, and 9 volt battery snap connecters from Radio Shack.

First spin the wire to both sides of the tilt switch.   This is going to go onto the flag spring.  I have the large cross stick tipups, and the spring steel isnt very strong so I only used enough wire to go half way up.

I then wrapped the bearing in electrical tape, trimmed it, and sealed the ends with the hot soldering iron.  You can also use heat shrink or liquid electrical tape.  Attach the small binder clip with a small tie-wrap.

Here is the fun part.  There are different mini lights on the market.  Some will handle the voltage with a single bulb, others will not.  You just need to test them out to see what you have.  If you put one bulb onto the battery, and its really bright, then you will need to use more than one bulb.  For the bulbs here I had to use three bulbs.  I like the three bulbs as it is more noticeable.  The single bulb is nice as I could put the lights on the flag spring as its not too heavy to prevent the flag from going up, and has a higher light.
Splice one end of the light’s wire at your desired length (I used about 12 inches) to one wire coming from the tilt switch, the other end of the lights wire to a wire leading to the 9 volt snap connecter.  The other wire off the snap connecter to the wire off the tilt switch.  Now you should have something like this:

Test before you wrap things up.  Sometimes the wire connectors don’t bite thru the insulation on the mini lights, so you may have to strip them first or crimp them extra hard to make solid contact.  I wrapped all my splices with electrical tape to protect them.  Heat shrink tubing or liquid electrical tape would work too.  Attach the larger binder clip via tie-wrap or tape.

Here is your finished result:

Large binder clip on the TU upright:

Small on the flag spring:

Looks like this:

For the single bulb, I put the bulb at the top with the tilt switch just under it.  It makes for a cleaner design, but puts more weight on the flag spring.

Off the Tip up:

Light on the spring:

Lights on the upright:

Its not pretty, but it works and is easily serviceable if you needed.  Ive been using mine for years.  I hang the battery off the upright to keep it out of the ice and snow.  The 9 volt battery will keep the lights going all night, and isnt affected by the cold enough to matter. 

All totaled it probably costs under $5 to make one of these, if you had to buy most of the components.  Most of the stuff I just had lying around, and just ran me a couple bucks.

Hope you find it useful.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
My Lantern Bucket and Handwarmer Seat
« Reply #502 on: Feb 13, 2014, 11:50 AM »
Here is my lantern bucket  I use it for night fishing, and on cold days for warming my hands.

I lined the interior with flashing to reflect the heat off the plastic, and light out the front.  I had to put a support in the front for strength as it was listing forward as I sat on it.  The sides of the ‘window’ are reinforced by wood strips for the same reason.  Im only 200 pounds, so your build may vary.

I cut the top off a second bucket and bolted it into another bucket to give it added height for comfort  (long legs).  The lantern sits in the bottom of the bucket, surrounded by a cut out bottom of yet another bucket for stability to prevent it from sliding around.  It is raised up to surround the fuel  tank.  (I had lots of buckets sitting around).  As you can see the top is ‘hung’ off a clip to prevent lantern tip overs.

The seat consists of a rectangular piece of plywood with the corners rounded off, and 2X3’s cut and attached to sit inside the top of the bucket, and lock it in place.    I covered the bottom with flashing to prevent burning.  Between the 2X3’s, I placed another piece of flashing to channel the heat out to warm my hands over.  The extended wood shelf/seat is also a nice place to put things down while retying. 

The only changes I made to the Coleman lantern is that I removed the glass dome, and replaced it with a screen (off Amazon).  I did this should any water splash on the glass, it would shatter. 

It’s a little heavy because of the wood, and ugly, but its works.   There are a few things that I would change, but most of them are just refinement issues.

If you build one, please let me know how it turns out.  Im always looking to improve things.

Thanks

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #503 on: Feb 13, 2014, 12:31 PM »
Now that is slick. Looks like it took a little thinking. As long as it works for you then who cares if it is ugly. I am sure you will come up with other mods to make it better.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #504 on: Feb 13, 2014, 12:45 PM »
The next version will be prettier.  But its warm, and Im happy.

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #505 on: Feb 13, 2014, 06:42 PM »
@KB....I like your proto-type! I can tell it does the intended job well....These are the things that make some people rich....Good Job.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #506 on: Feb 14, 2014, 09:24 PM »
super cool

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #507 on: Feb 28, 2014, 06:04 PM »
KB, I used something similar to that years ago using a wood box with runners, had the lantern in the front with a glass window for the light to shine out onto the ice. The rest  of the box was used to hold my rods and sit on while I was fishing. I still have it somewhere I'll look for it and try to get a pic.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #508 on: Feb 28, 2014, 06:10 PM »
I was looking to get a lantern box, but just built this in the meantime to keep me warm this winter. 

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #509 on: Mar 15, 2014, 06:43 PM »
my latest project, I have 11.00 dollars invested

kc

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com