Author Topic: Inventions  (Read 451658 times)

Offline Awe Toe Set

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Inventions
« Reply #270 on: Jan 13, 2011, 06:09 PM »
My "Awe Toe Set".  Used it for the first time today and caught an 18" Rainbow. :icefish:

Offline Wild Turk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #271 on: Jan 13, 2011, 09:14 PM »

Offline dani

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #272 on: Jan 16, 2011, 12:08 PM »
Would someone please invent a good cover for nils 8" blades. I've tried bungy cords,whole earth magnets and more and still frustrated! Cut myself again today so that's what prompted me to again look for yet another solution that everyone else is asking for. Thanks Dani  ???

Offline kivva king

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #273 on: Jan 16, 2011, 02:38 PM »
i bought an 8" strikemaster cover, put the earth magnets in that and it works great!!!
The cover is just the right size for the nils!!!!  Good luck    KK

Offline steven girard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #274 on: Jan 16, 2011, 03:57 PM »
Would someone please invent a good cover for nils 8" blades. I've tried bungy cords,whole earth magnets and more and still frustrated! Cut myself again today so that's what prompted me to again look for yet another solution that everyone else is asking for. Thanks Dani  ???

Why don't making two little hole in the drill(dont think that would change something during utilisation) and add two metal peices that goes each side the previous place for the rubber bender,,and hold it with two bender this way!

I was going to break a world record when the clock rang.....

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #275 on: Jan 16, 2011, 05:29 PM »
Why don't making two little hole in the drill(dont think that would change something during utilisation) and add two metal peices that goes each side the previous place for the rubber bender,,and hold it with two bender this way!

(Image removed from quote.)

I just figured out how to put it on correctly and then marked the auger and cover with a permanent maker.  Aligns perfect every time.

Offline steven girard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #276 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:19 PM »
Good!
I was going to break a world record when the clock rang.....

Offline dani

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #277 on: Jan 17, 2011, 06:35 AM »
Yes kivva king I'm going to order a strikemaster cover today and do the magnet setup and hope it stays on for those long 4 wheeler rides to the honey holes. A pic or two may help me out. Thanks guys for the inventions. Dani

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #278 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:25 AM »
i love these threads so many great ideas

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #279 on: Jan 24, 2011, 12:55 PM »
Anybody ever attach a swiveled chair to a 5 gallon bucket?

Thinking about redesigning the fold-up chairs that came with my Clam Nanook and installing the unit on a 5 gallon bucket.  (The weight of both chair frames is very prohibitive...just trying to figure a way to lighten the load, but still have a nice ice fishing chair.

Another option towards reducing weight is to built the seat frame exactly as originally designed, but with square-tubed aluminum instead to square-tubed steel.

I'm open for ideas, mods, etc.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline oxquo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #280 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:49 PM »
The updated alteration to My very cheap flippy jigger lure.
Tools needed
swivel,
3 links of cheap .35 a foot silver chain
2 clips
1 treble
2 beads if you like
1 duo-loc snap.

Beer caps, or You could take some tin snips along and a sharp nail and make em as You drink em.

Most of this stuff comes from collecting old pickerel rigs off shorelines

I did a quick video of it in action in a glass since I don't have and underwater cam.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-VVKY7G_DY

Offline monkeyman2269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #281 on: Feb 02, 2011, 10:17 PM »
lol what u catch on the beer caps

Offline oxquo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #282 on: Feb 04, 2011, 03:56 PM »
2 pike on the bud one yesterday missed a few but the bite was pretty light. Basically it's the same as the ones I made with spinner blades, minus the eyes. They are nice and light and seem to give plenty of action. To Us they are beer caps, to fish, they are just wounded prey I suppose. I find the spinner blades with 3d eyes seem more effective but DIYers could alter it from here. Using split rings rather than duo-loc snaps works too. To Me it's just a good feeling to catch on something I make, guess that's why I fly fish in the softwater season.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #283 on: Feb 04, 2011, 04:03 PM »
The updated alteration to My very cheap flippy jigger lure.
Tools needed
swivel,
3 links of cheap .35 a foot silver chain
2 clips
1 treble
2 beads if you like
1 duo-loc snap.

Beer caps, or You could take some tin snips along and a sharp nail and make em as You drink em.

Most of this stuff comes from collecting old pickerel rigs off shorelines

I did a quick video of it in action in a glass since I don't have and underwater cam.
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150377353040277

Have you unlocked this link yet and/or do you plan to?

Offline oxquo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #284 on: Feb 04, 2011, 04:09 PM »
The vid has been posted and changed up top. I have turned the blades backwards in the vid as it seemed to get much more action and moved the glow beads above the blades, somehow it looked cooler to me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-VVKY7G_DY
Now I'm gonna remount all of My 3D eyes to the other side.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #285 on: Feb 05, 2011, 12:00 PM »
I think you need to find another body of water, there doesnt seem to be any fish in that one.   ;D ;D ;D    (You do get extra credit for changing lures and trying it anyway.)
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline oxquo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #286 on: Feb 07, 2011, 01:23 AM »
I think you need to find another body of water, there doesnt seem to be any fish in that one.   ;D ;D ;D    (You do get extra credit for changing lures and trying it anyway.)
Just goes to show that I'd rather fish in an empty beer glass than work in an office with a view any day lol

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #287 on: Feb 07, 2011, 05:03 AM »
I'm with ya buddy!

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #288 on: Feb 12, 2011, 06:17 PM »
ox

I like thhe looks of the jigger lure! keep us posted how you do with it (once you get it out in a little bigger body of water . . .  :)

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #289 on: Feb 12, 2011, 06:26 PM »
Seems like the 5 gallon bucket (if it holds up to bouncin around in the Clam) is the better solution. With the right attachment detail you can store stuff in a bucket. Don't know how you can store stuff in a frame . . .

-Reelcharacter

Thinking about redesigning the fold-up chairs that came with my Clam Nanook and installing the unit on a 5 gallon bucket.  (The weight of both chair frames is very prohibitive...just trying to figure a way to lighten the load, but still have a nice ice fishing chair.

Another option towards reducing weight is to built the seat frame exactly as originally designed, but with square-tubed aluminum instead to square-tubed steel.

PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #290 on: Feb 12, 2011, 06:49 PM »
HEY Awe Toe -

A couple questions from someone who has not seen a set up quite like this one before. What type of wire is used for the trigger? What does the slip bobber do on the line between the eyelets? Do you set the drag light so line can spool out with a little resistance??

I assume this is considered a "tip up" so you can use 5 of these per person?

-Reelcharacter

My "Awe Toe Set".  Used it for the first time today and caught an 18" Rainbow. :icefish:

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #291 on: Feb 12, 2011, 07:01 PM »
Greeeaaat idea on the ice picks Smitty!

I know I am getting a little off track with my topic of inventions, but your safety gear got me thinking about using your invention. Hopefully it is not something anyone ever has to do, but I found a great link and video that illustrate how to use 'em.

Stay dry!

- Reelcharacter

Made these ice picks yesterday. Wood dowel for insert, 2 bicycle grips, old telephone cord, 2 nails......make em' your own! There is every style of grips out there for your taste.....the possibilities are endless! And might save your life! Smitty

Offline Awe Toe Set

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #292 on: Feb 12, 2011, 09:00 PM »
HEY Awe Toe -

A couple questions from someone who has not seen a set up quite like this one before. What type of wire is used for the trigger? What does the slip bobber do on the line between the eyelets? Do you set the drag light so line can spool out with a little resistance??

In the picture I used a piece of 3/32 copper, but the copper is too soft, will bend too easy.  My final version I am using 3/32 stainless. Harder to bend the stainless, but much more durable in the sled.  The slip bobber is so you can leave some slack in the line so that the fish can take it a bit before it actually trips.  It is also useful when using minnows as to not get false sets.  I just set my drag like I would for what ever line I am using.  I usually use 6# or 8# fluorocarbon.  In Wisconsin we can only fish with three lines, with one hook on each line, or a maximum of three hooks total, other than artificial baits such and rapalas and other commercial baits with more than one hook per bait is counted as one.  Hope that makes sense to you.     :icefish:

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #293 on: Mar 11, 2011, 11:41 AM »
you guys have taught, inspired and entertained me throughout this entire thread!!  this was awesome!  just thought i would show you my little bit of tinkering this year!  this is my hand made 6" cordless ice auger.  made from parts ordered on ebay...for $100.  i already had the 2 batteries and the old style lazer without the removable handle.   enjoy!
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=192868.0

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #294 on: Nov 04, 2011, 02:29 AM »

Thinking about redesigning the fold-up chairs that came with my Clam Nanook and installing the unit on a 5 gallon bucket.  (The weight of both chair frames is very prohibitive...just trying to figure a way to lighten the load, but still have a nice ice fishing chair.

Initially I mounted a swivel seat to the lid on a bucket. But it was too tall and I didn't have any headroom in my one-man shanty. I ended up mounting the seat with the swivel on top of an Igloo cooler. The height is right but I want to make more room in my sled to store stuff. I might be making a bench seat to mount the swivel seat to and be able to use the space under the bench for storage.
jbird68

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #295 on: Nov 04, 2011, 04:15 AM »
I gotta mark this thread so I can read it later.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #296 on: Nov 05, 2011, 07:07 PM »
HEY Awe Toe -

-Reelcharacter

I made a very similar trigger out of a paperclip a few years ago.  It works great. 

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fishie says "Why you looking at me like that?"
« Reply #297 on: Nov 11, 2011, 08:34 PM »

I made a very similar trigger out of a paperclip a few years ago.  It works great.
yeah,i copied yours and yes it sure does work.It sure is something to be right there and watch that thing set the hook and pole bending to the hole.Thanks for the idea.
born to fish---forced to work

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #298 on: Nov 12, 2011, 09:17 AM »
No problem.  I often wondered if anyone used it.  I tie mine to the rod holder with string, and set in a hole next to where Im jigging.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #299 on: Nov 19, 2011, 04:57 PM »
I came up with mod for my auger.  The flighting on augers is some what sharp and can be hard on shelters, bags and about any equipment it rides against.  So....I bought some door trim that goes along the edge to prevent door dings, and wrapped the flighting edge from top to bottom.  It fit perfectly and looks good.  It will also protect the edge of the flighting from dings which should help prevent rust.  The plastic trim has some adhesive so its adhered pretty well.  The plastic is pretty hard and slick so shouldn't cause any binding in the hole...if anything it should help reduce any binding.  Now if we can just some ice so I can try it out.

]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.