Author Topic: Inventions  (Read 451989 times)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
Re: Inventions
« Reply #180 on: Jan 25, 2010, 07:07 PM »
Great Idea "smitty0312"..

Looks like it can hold the line dead center over the Hole... Very good idea.. and it can keep the extra line up out of the snow around the hole..

I like it  :)

" I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline stanollie

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: lip ripper
« Reply #181 on: Feb 22, 2010, 12:06 PM »
Made this after seeing a few of the homemade slammers took about 2 hours to build. Only had it out one time caught two nice bass on it one of them while showing a few ppl how it worked. Rigged up with 30lb power pro and a leader with two red trebles with blades. sry if pics to big first time posting them

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

I thought I'd try making one also. Caught some nice pickerel on it when my regular tipups were getting cut off.

Looking forward to trying it again.
What a long, strange trip it's been!

Offline stanollie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #182 on: Feb 22, 2010, 12:26 PM »
With all the talk about tipdowns, I wondered if you could make one with a jigging rod. Maybe this is just a rod holder, but it's balanced very well and made with a few parts from HD. You can glue just some of the joints on the pvc so it will fold flat for storage.

What a long, strange trip it's been!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #183 on: Mar 01, 2010, 08:40 AM »
Nice design....Way better than the commercial Slammer.  I like the "rod Holder" also.  Just need to add the hole cover insulator.  Great pics!
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #184 on: Mar 08, 2010, 01:35 PM »
This is a gas auger mount I made.
Fish on!

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #185 on: Mar 08, 2010, 07:34 PM »
Looks Good Greg2ha

Keeps it up out of the way.. and off the floor, great idea.

8)

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #186 on: Mar 08, 2010, 09:31 PM »
Wow, that's pretty heavy.

I just used a couple of large ladder hooks to keep mine off the floor.

Works good and only cost a couple of $.

Wiener

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #187 on: Mar 09, 2010, 08:54 AM »
I like the rod holder also off to the right... Looks like you paid attention in metal shop!
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #188 on: Mar 09, 2010, 09:16 AM »
First of all I'm a welder by trade. So I am always looking of ways to make something before I buy it. The auger
mount was all made fro 1/8 steel. The rod rack which I plan on taking some pics of is made from scrap aluminum
that was fender material for front discharge cement trucks. I will post some picks soon.
Greg
Fish on!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #189 on: Mar 09, 2010, 09:21 AM »
It's probably all scrap for you anyway .... so there is no out of pocket money to make the stuff.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #190 on: Mar 09, 2010, 09:46 AM »
Yes that's exactly how I look at it. That's why I always tell my friends and family if they have an idea try to make yourself first.
Fish on!

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #191 on: Mar 09, 2010, 10:22 AM »
Yes that's exactly how I look at it. That's why I always tell my friends and family if they have an idea try to make yourself first.
...........       ..............          .............       .............   .............. .............. ..............   .............  .............   ............    .........

Hi Greg

I agree with you 100%... at times there is nothing wrong if one has to buy something for what ever reason.. but if one has the time, materials, and patience to try and make it themselves.  Why not try... for me I see it 10 fold.... it gets me away from the T.V.  ....lol.. and gives me relaxing kinda mind thinking experience to design something from the start and make it work at the end project... and ALSO it is a huge plus for my wife... it gets me out of her hair and she see's that when I can do this ... it does relax me as as I (we all) build stuff ... for a short time one does not think about the outside world,,, work,,, stress etc.. Just what you are trying to succeed with the invention or build at that time.

Good on you and others for enjoying this time to make things and also sharing your builds and Ideas with us All..
 i thank you all..

Take care

AltaIce

8)

Offline upstate bass2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #192 on: Mar 09, 2010, 04:43 PM »
This is my second version a little heavier for pike .  Works well.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #193 on: Mar 09, 2010, 05:16 PM »
Awesome! I bet that has a mean hook set! ;D
Fish on!

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #194 on: Mar 10, 2010, 10:51 AM »
Wicked arch  Upstate bass2

Your right Gregha2..   The  Pike won't know what hit em.  WHAM !!!

Hey upstate.... How does the blue looking string ( or wire ) release? ( or is that a spring? )
 ((( Awesome Pic from the Future... Being that far ahead.... is that a shot from the Moon's surface? ... Just wondering.LOL)))

8)

Offline upstate bass2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #195 on: Mar 10, 2010, 11:25 AM »
That blue thing is a laser release , that's what we use in 2098. ;D ;D ;D ;D   Actually they are elastic bands that pull the release arm back when a fish strikes. The rod is a 4' 6'' Shakespeare prius all fiberglass rod , you can bend it in a circle and only cost $10. The reel has 20# power pro braid (no stretch) and will set the hook through a pike's jawbone!!!

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #196 on: Mar 10, 2010, 12:34 PM »
That blue thing is a laser release , that's what we use in 2098. ;D ;D ;D ;D   Actually they are elastic bands that pull the release arm back when a fish strikes. The rod is a 4' 6'' Shakespeare prius all fiberglass rod , you can bend it in a circle and only cost $10. The reel has 20# power pro braid (no stretch) and will set the hook through a pike's jawbone!!!

Ahhhhhh yes...... the Good Old " Laser release" ... I had forgot we have not invented it yet!!...LOL ((until 2032 ))

Did not think of Elastic Bands.... Good idea and it makes sense, big time... Yes, I was wondering how long the rod was , cause All mine are about 32" long.. and I'm trying to think about making a slammer for them as well.. 

Does it take much of a pull to release it from it's hook?

Like I said , the Pike won't know what hit em...

8)

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #197 on: Mar 10, 2010, 12:50 PM »

I have been casually looking for this kind of rod... where have you been getting them?  10.00$ sounds like a deal.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #198 on: Mar 10, 2010, 01:51 PM »
Here's a couple that are more open water related. First is a outboard-trolling motor stand.
Second is a rack to dry my waders on it is all alumunim so it won't hurt to get wet and won't leave spots on my waders.
Fish on!

Offline upstate bass2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #199 on: Mar 10, 2010, 03:16 PM »
I have been casually looking for this kind of rod... where have you been getting them?  10.00$ sounds like a deal.

I got the rod at Thruway sporting goods in Walden ny 2 years ago. Was looking for a one piece uglystick this size but this works well. I can bend the wire that holds the rod tip and make it trip very easy , even a large pike shiner can trip it if I set it light.

http://66.231.15.155/detail.cfm?PassProdId=4224    Found the rod here cheaper.

Offline upstate bass2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #200 on: Mar 10, 2010, 03:35 PM »
First of all I'm a welder by trade. So I am always looking of ways to make something before I buy it. The auger
mount was all made fro 1/8 steel. The rod rack which I plan on taking some pics of is made from scrap aluminum
that was fender material for front discharge cement trucks. I will post some picks soon.
Greg

I would need a auger mount that strong for my jiffy model 30,  that thing weighs a ton!!!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #201 on: Mar 10, 2010, 08:41 PM »

I got the rod at Thruway sporting goods in Walden ny 2 years ago. Was looking for a one piece uglystick this size but this works well. I can bend the wire that holds the rod tip and make it trip very easy , even a large pike shiner can trip it if I set it light.

http://66.231.15.155/detail.cfm?PassProdId=4224    Found the rod here cheaper.
ugly stik has 4' 8" and 5' one piece rods, i own both. ;)
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #202 on: Mar 11, 2010, 05:49 AM »

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #203 on: Mar 29, 2010, 10:14 PM »
Removable Tild Sled Bait Bucket Holder

Wooden Lip Screwed on Back, Rubber Bungy Cord cut in half and screwed on the sides, 1 screw Screwed on the tip lid that the bucket uses to hook on for added support (see next picture).

This is the purpose of the screw on the top of the sled lid. The Bucket handle latches onto the sled to support the weight of the water that the bungy cord can't handle (which it can handle but it feels safer)

Then you use a bungy cord and a milk crate like this. It rests on the wood lip you install and uses the bungy to stay on securely.

Other Pictures

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #204 on: Mar 30, 2010, 07:47 AM »
Morn JustOsmo

I like your sled, "Love the sleds Mascot"  ;D .

What if you were to use the same wood you have there and make up a kinda  " L" shape shelf with cut corner to corner sides to give it some more support then screw the heck out of it to the end of the unit right where the plastic box is sitting now.. and then you would have the shelf ( or support) fixed to the unit and the box will sit in it and could be removed easy and you also could put way more stuff in it , if you had to.
Know what I mean??    It would be a easy drawing to show Ya.. and also it would not be that much more weight and if you hit a large pump the box may have less chance of jumping off the little wooden lip.

Do you have the inside of the sled divided up with sections? ( to keep some things in place)
Also like the Skies a lot, I bet  it will pull very easy.. ( Man i would put so much stuff in there... LOL..) I'm a pack rat..LOL

Good job Osmo
I look forward to seeing more pics of it.

AltaIce
 8)

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #205 on: Mar 30, 2010, 08:04 AM »
No its not divided up because if I divided it up I'd lose the space I need. It fits everything inside it currently. (hand auger, tackle box, spoon, gas tanks, 20 tilts, food, TP, etc etc).

The ski's do work well but there is a design flaw in them that I am fixing this offseason. The method used to connect them to the box created a point of contact that digs intot he ice. That will be fixed before next season.

If you would liek to draw up your idea for me I would consider trying it out. This bait bucket holder was made during the week in between trips on the fly so it does have its flaws.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #206 on: Mar 30, 2010, 08:17 AM »
nice sled osmo,i have 1 of similar design (that i never use since i bought my clam scout)but i bolted the milk crate to the sled,i do like your bungee idea,just be careful when its real cold those crates become very brittle, i'v broken a few

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #207 on: Mar 30, 2010, 08:38 AM »
nice sled osmo,i have 1 of similar design (that i never use since i bought my clam scout)but i bolted the milk crate to the sled,i do like your bungee idea,just be careful when its real cold those crates become very brittle, i'v broken a few

The bungy is a must because I need it to detach. I dont have a truck so the sled needs to fit in the back of a car. Its already to big for most cars though.

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #208 on: Mar 30, 2010, 11:17 AM »
The bungy is a must because I need it to detach. I dont have a truck so the sled needs to fit in the back of a car. Its already to big for most cars though.
..........................   ................

I never thought that you would be as same as me and not have the truck thing.. LOL.. Ya I understand.. room or lack of it is important.

The Shelf I was thinking about would not work as i had it fixed to the box.    What if you  were to some how make a flat bottom board that was fixed to a HINGE at the bottom that could be lift up against the back of the box when in storage or in the Car.. Know what I mean?

Then when you want to use it.. just lower it down and have it so it stays in place and you can put the plastic milk crate and bucket on it..

Ya I hear Ya, we Have all summer now to work on our sleds.. You have it under control.. hope you do not think I over stepped any boundaries , just thought I could help.. the drawing ( design) I had in mind would not work for a small area in the back of a car.

What about counter sinking your holes on your skies and then use " Carriage bolts" , that way they get drawn up into the ski and have the round head, so it would not dig into the ice.
 8)

Offline LilBadger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #209 on: Mar 30, 2010, 10:34 PM »
I  made a gear sled very similar to this this year, and that milk crate thing is a great idea.  But do you have any trouble with it trying to tip or slide out when the bucket is full of water?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.