Author Topic: Inventions  (Read 451622 times)

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Inventions
« Reply #150 on: Oct 22, 2009, 05:26 AM »
I did something similar with my skimmers. I printed out a ruler, cut it to proper size with scissors, then taped it to the handle. So now I flip over the skimmer and hook the metal hook of the skimmer to the underside of the ice so I can read how thick the ice is. But usually I know with my nils hand auger that each half turn equals 1/2" of ice removed. So if it takes me 10 turns, the ice is around 5" thick.
Ken                                          

Offline Joe Fehr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #151 on: Nov 14, 2009, 03:33 PM »
Ok here is mine.(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

i would have sent a PM but I don't think I have permission yet but would you be willing to share with a guy the dimansions of your Auto Fisherman. So far I think I like your design th ebest.

If anyone else would be interested in sharing dimensions etc tthat would be great also.

Thanks.

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #152 on: Nov 26, 2009, 03:58 PM »
I made 10 of these for $20.00

Offline IceHaus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #153 on: Dec 03, 2009, 07:29 PM »
Started ice fishing a few years ago. My buddy has a FL-8 Ultimate. I liked it, but didn't like the pricetag and they were also hard to find around here at the time. So, I bought a Genz pack and added the features from the Ultimate that I liked.

First, I added a battery charge indicator. Then, I cut, sanded and painted a piece of plexi to fit into the area above the battery. I inserted the switch and three brass bolts for terminals. One terminal is common, one is always on, and the other is switched. The battery indicator is also on the switch so it isn't always draining my battery.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #154 on: Dec 03, 2009, 07:34 PM »
That is sweet!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #155 on: Dec 07, 2009, 08:17 AM »
I needed more room inside my bucket, so I made these rod holders. 1" plastic pipe straps, and some velcro. Cost....$3.00!! Nothing fancy but gets the job done. Smitty

[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline IceHaus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #156 on: Dec 07, 2009, 12:06 PM »
Nothing fancy but gets the job done.

That's my definition of the best kind of invention.

Offline danakaiggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #157 on: Dec 13, 2009, 11:29 AM »
does anybody have a use or an idea for these

if so let me know i have alot of them

right now we use them from everything from scooping dog food to using them to store kids toys lol

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #158 on: Dec 14, 2009, 09:40 PM »
does anybody have a use or an idea for these
(Image removed from quote.)

if so let me know i have alot of them

right now we use them from everything from scooping dog food to using them to store kids toys lol

How about using them to store CD's. :P   ;D
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #159 on: Dec 17, 2009, 06:30 PM »
store fishing line in them
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #160 on: Dec 18, 2009, 07:56 AM »
Quote from: Mainehazmt
store fishing line in them

Spool does not fit the spindle. You just made me waste 15 seconds of my time!  >:(

;)
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline danakaiggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #161 on: Dec 18, 2009, 11:30 AM »
the spindles break off easy (i just did great idea)  thank you

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #162 on: Dec 31, 2009, 11:05 AM »
I made sliding 'blackout' covers for my windows in my hardside - this is just for small windows, but perfect for a darkhouse, able to see out if you want or have light for setting up, but when you want it dark just slide the covers closed

materials = some of that hardboard (like pegboard type material, but without the holes) and some 1x

basically I made a cover for the window out of the hardboard - then a 3 sided frame for that out of 1x  shimmed with some smaller pieces of hardboard to create a channel for the cover to slide in

Offline GarSlayer

• IceShanty Rookie
lip ripper
« Reply #163 on: Jan 05, 2010, 02:14 AM »
Made this after seeing a few of the homemade slammers took about 2 hours to build. Only had it out one time caught two nice bass on it one of them while showing a few ppl how it worked. Rigged up with 30lb power pro and a leader with two red trebles with blades. sry if pics to big first time posting them

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #164 on: Jan 05, 2010, 09:00 AM »
Hi " GarSlayer".. Morn.

Glad it works well...  I have the Same size  ( Length ) Fishing Rod.

Just a couple of Questions  though... Does it take much pressure to lift the eye off of the Hook,
( I tend to fish for  Pike , Eye's and hope to try trout)
 and did it  take you many tries figure out the length of the hook. Man it looks like once the
 fish kicks that off the eye it must whip that rod high and Fast .  :)

regards.....  Take Care

AltaIce   
  " I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Re: lip ripper
« Reply #165 on: Jan 05, 2010, 10:26 AM »
Made this after seeing a few of the homemade slammers took about 2 hours to build. Only had it out one time caught two nice bass on it one of them while showing a few ppl how it worked. Rigged up with 30lb power pro and a leader with two red trebles with blades. sry if pics to big first time posting them

I was really unhappy with the Slammers I bought and have spent a lot of time in R&D redesigning the triggers.  Mine looks some thing like that but slightly different.
I will be revealing to Pooley and company later this year.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline fischer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #166 on: Jan 05, 2010, 11:39 AM »
I finally came up with something similiar. 5' rod, the base has a 35mm hole drilled at an angle. The catch is a piece of #9 wire bent roughly parallel to the ice at the end, and screwed to the platform with a screw and washer. the foot swivels out for stability and back inline for storage. It's about 40" long.

The trick is the parabolic curve created. When downward pull on the line lowers the eye below the wire, the force of the curve kicks the end out and up. Bending the wire up or down changes the curve and requires more or less pull to trip it. It trips pretty easy if I want, for smaller bites, or harder for pike. I crimped the end with vise grips to put some cross ridges on it so I can lip the eye on it more easily. Each one is custom made for the rod I'm going to use on it.
  the line goes straight down the hole from the top eye, and I use bells for a signal.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #167 on: Jan 05, 2010, 06:25 PM »
after looking at these slammers I think it be great for perch  lol   bet ya could fling em a long way   lol  eagles could catch em in the air!   lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline IcenEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's A Friggin Record Breaker.
« Reply #168 on: Jan 12, 2010, 05:47 AM »
I modified the Slammers that I built a couple years ago. I didn't like the Keychain release because it wouldn't allow the line to pass threw. I made a trip/trigger for mine that I modeled after my automatic fisherman that I can take off for Storage. Works great, Line passes freely.

I also found a new use for all those extra worm containers!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #169 on: Jan 12, 2010, 10:31 AM »
I modified the Slammers that I built a couple years ago. I didn't like the Keychain release because it wouldn't allow the line to pass threw. I made a trip/trigger for mine that I modeled after my automatic fisherman that I can take off for Storage. Works great, Line passes freely.
I also found a new use for all those extra worm containers!

Do tell
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline IcenEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #170 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:05 PM »
JC, Look in the first picture.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #171 on: Jan 13, 2010, 03:50 PM »
I see the container on the ice.... Am I missing some thing??

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #172 on: Jan 13, 2010, 04:41 PM »
I see the container on the ice.... Am I missing some thing??

I could be wrong, But it looks like it is attached to the line...And it might be possible that a slight wind would give a jigging effect...   Of course this is all an assumption on my part..

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #173 on: Jan 14, 2010, 05:37 PM »
I see that now Beever.... I have used a hair clip on a dead stick for bait movement ;)  But not like IcenEyes

Offline IcenEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #174 on: Jan 14, 2010, 07:53 PM »
It does seem to keep the bait moving slightly Beever. I use them more for a Bite Indicator, In Wyoming you always have a breeze ;D

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #175 on: Jan 19, 2010, 09:22 AM »
How does the slam board come down if it is hard wired?

Offline IcenEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #176 on: Jan 20, 2010, 12:20 PM »
JC,
Gravity. The wire as a slight bow to it. when the pressure of the pole is released it falls back.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #177 on: Jan 20, 2010, 12:30 PM »
It looks like hanger wire in the pics.  Is it?  Did not think it (hanger wire) would be that flexible.

Offline IcenEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #178 on: Jan 20, 2010, 12:37 PM »
It's just standard Tie Wire. The rod tip pulls away from the wire but it still allows a slight bow in the wire. You could probably use coat hanger. The reason for the Bow is so it doesn't rest against the eye hook when it trips.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #179 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:54 AM »
Here's a tripod I made, cheap and easy.

[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.