Author Topic: Recommendation for good cold weather clothes!  (Read 2808 times)

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spring bobbers and ratsotails!
Recommendation for good cold weather clothes!
« on: Jan 10, 2004, 09:36 AM »
To all serious icefisherman,

After 20 years of heavy duty wear and tear my one-piece Refrigawear snowmobile suit is ready for a replacement. I've been scouring the typical websites, keyword searches, and catalogs and just can't seem to find what I want. Can anyone give me a good recommendation on a company to buy from and/or the type of suit to purchase? I know there has been some serious advancements in technology recently with the development of thinsulate and other low density high insulation fabrics, but I just can't pull the trigger yet via catalog shopping. I'd still like a one-piece suit if possible, but have given serious consideration to a bib & parka set since most parkas have inner liners that can be added/subtracted. I'd really appreciate some good advice from the folks who are way north and often get 2-3 months of icefishing to field test cold weather gear. Thanks in advance for replies!

ratsotail

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re:Recommendation for good cold weather clothes!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2004, 09:52 AM »
Cabelas "late-season" coveralls

thats what i wear, kept me warm going 10 miles to a secluded pond, going 30mph, on my quad, and it was 2 degrees

usually i just wear jeans and a sweatshirt, and just put the coveralls on when i get to the lake. that way i dont have to be all bulked up and going into stores or driving that way.

they are very warm and very, very comfortable
i love 'em.

you can put them on and off with your boots on, their leg zippers go right up to the hip

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2004, 09:58 AM »
Hard to beat Triple lined Carharts (Black).
You won't win any Fashion Contests,but you will stay warm.
They have zippers up to the knee.Walls brand have the zipper to the hip.
You can get bibs and parka or coveralls.
They great for me
Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

evad

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2004, 11:38 AM »
carharts or carharts  I live in WI it does get cold! I work outdoors year round and I play outdoors year round you cant beat them they have 3 different weights and have bibs and jackets I think they also make coveralls too, 2 different colors [black and tan] its not about fashion its about spending 10 hours outdoors when its below zero and the wind is howling without them I would probably be in florida watching ice fishing videos and dreaming       seeya  

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2004, 12:11 PM »
LL Bean my friend! all the best merchandise guaranteed forever! for any reason, they never refuse a return. if you are unsatisfied for any reason, no receipt, it doesnt matter!  i live in maine and personally use this guarantee for all my stuff  i havent paid for a pair of boots since the mid eighties im not sure of the exact web adress but just put ll bean in your search bar and youll find them! you wont be sorry :'( :'(

stripergirl

« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2004, 01:06 PM »
We swear by Johnson wools.  does a number on the wind factor.

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2004, 07:11 PM »
Carhart artic, in black, doesnt get so dirty looking.

Offline afishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2004, 11:25 PM »
ratsotail   Before you spend a lot of money on winter gear check out a light weight nylon rain suit. I have a pant and coat set, that have zippers at the cuffs and are easy to get in and out of. They stop the wind and keep out the wet. I usually only wear my long johns and jeans under them and they aren't stiff and bulky like snow suits and coveralls. I bought mine for $40 and use them in the spring rainy season too. I don't use my coverall until it's below 0  and then I put the rain suit over them.  Also check out ice chaps, Cabellas has them , they have knee pads  and really keep your legs warm and dry.  STAYWARM  afishingfool

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2004, 09:35 AM »
ratsotail   Before you spend a lot of money on winter gear check out a light weight nylon rain suit. I have a pant and coat set, that have zippers at the cuffs and are easy to get in and out of. They stop the wind and keep out the wet. I usually only wear my long johns and jeans under them and they aren't stiff and bulky like snow suits and coveralls. I bought mine for $40 and use them in the spring rainy season too. I don't use my coverall until it's below 0  and then I put the rain suit over them.  Also check out ice chaps, Cabellas has them , they have knee pads  and really keep your legs warm and dry.  STAYWARM  afishingfool
The power of the web and this chat forum is absolutely amazing! Thank you everyone to date that has replied to my plea for help regarding cold weather gear. So far the ringing endorsement seems to be for Carhart and many of you have given me some great examples why you like them so much. I have also done some more research into the LL Bean , Cabelas, Johnson Wools, and Light rainsuit options. Time to pull the trigger now since it's finally getting cold in the St. Louis region (looks like a really short season again this year in Southern IL so I'll be heading toward Chicago likely). I was really impressed with the Carhart extreme arctic suit (in black) and will likely purchase the hood to go with it. Carhart seemed to exude the quality and durability I was looking for and the price was certainly reasonable...and i don't care if the gear doesn't win fashion statements! Thanks again to everyone who resonded with some great options.

I hope your icefishing year is long and plentiful,

ratsotail

WalleyeWarrior

« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2004, 01:02 PM »
Ice Rider Floater Suit made by mustang, can be pricey but well worth it if you ever go through, they are also very warm.

Offline gerryskid

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2004, 04:26 PM »
i second the rain suit idea,then layer underneath.it keeps out the wind which is your worst enemy.plus
your covered if it would get over freezing and would rain any.gotta be camo for me though for multi-purposing.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2004, 04:43 PM »
Jeff, just be sure not to get something that exposes that behind crevice!  Wouldn't want any stray ice chips to mistakenly find that spot ;D ;)

When you buy and test them out, lemme know how they work out for ya.  I'm in the market for something new next year maybe.  Still tinkerin' with what I've got this year plus I'm buying a Fish Trap Pro and that's gonna get all my winter funding and then some... :P  ::)
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

MUSKY 2004

« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2004, 04:49 PM »
CABELAS,CABELAS,CABELAS! SAY NO MORE,

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2004, 11:40 PM »
Oh, and Jeff, we're hitting Shep on Saturday!  You're favorite lake!
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2004, 06:45 AM »
layers  8) :'( :'(

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2004, 06:08 PM »
Oh, and Jeff, we're hitting Shep on Saturday!  You're favorite lake!
Fatboy,

Looks like you've done some remodeling on your banner this year...the Mason-Dixon theme. Looks like I'll have to travel to PA or MD this year since you guys have all the cold weather. May not need the new cold weather gear after all in the St. Louis area. That is a real bummer too. You know how much I look forward to the hard water. That Shepherd Meyers Lake was a true gem of a lake to fish...about 60 acres or so, no boat fishing allowed, loaded with yellow perch, bluegill, and crappie, and the scenery in that little valley was incredible. The Mason Dixon line is also the divider between mild and cold weather...it was almost like you warped into a new climate. I've been watching the temps and forecasts on the NE and you guys are in for another great winter of fishing. I need to scam a trip that way before it's too late. You'll love the Fish trap setup. I'm not sure how you've survived all these years without one! How about that tanker explosion near Baltimore yesterday! I'll be TDY in DC next week  Jan 21-23 and staying at Bethesda Marriot. Tight lines and bouncing spring bobbers old friend!

ratsotail

Offline wisicefishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2004, 08:09 PM »
Carhartt!  I have the jaccket and bibs in the arctic wear black. Love them.  It gets cold up here in northern WI.  I play all winter, so I have to have something warm.

Offline Jiggernaut

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2004, 08:25 PM »
I've had a pair of Navy Surplus fireman's bibs for years now that are ready for replacement also, but I think that you can still find them.  They are definitely warm, and you can kneel in slush and they don't leak.  I tend to shy away from a lot of the newer materials as it seems that the outer fabric layers really don't hold up too well...good luck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.