Author Topic: Floor or no floor ?  (Read 603 times)

Offline nunesi

• IceShanty Rookie
Floor or no floor ?
« on: Feb 07, 2024, 04:32 AM »
I wanted to get your thoughts on using my click together foam tiles this weekend or not in our hub shelter with the weather forecasted in the 50's. I usually enjoy the slight insulation factor and staying out of the snow inside the hub, but was thinking with such warm temps it might be easier not to even use the floor. Any thoughts from past experience is appreciated.

Offline Wapiti406

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Floor or no floor ?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2024, 04:43 AM »
Warm weather or no, ice is still ice.  I use the floors most of the time, if nothing else it will keep the ice underneath from melting and making a lake.

Now if their is already standing water on the ice, that might be a different story.

All else fails, you can try it and report back.  For science.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2024, 08:03 AM »
Usually for keeping off the ice.  However I find that the floor keeps the ice as more ice, and less melting when it's warm.  If I had to lean down to pick a fish out of the hole, at least my knees won't be wet.

The one thing I hate most of warmer weather is that it tends to be harder on the auger.  The ice chips are nothing but slush that's hard for the flighting to throw off.  That's how my lite flite flighting chipped off even though it wasn't even more than 14" of ice thickness.  Felt the sluggishness, but didn't think about it.  Until later that I noticed a piece had broken off that day.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2024, 05:24 PM »
No floor to warm

Offline nunesi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2024, 06:19 AM »
Did not even bother setting up the portable with the warm temps.  Unfortunately no scientific test... next time maybe.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.