Author Topic: Cold Weather headlamp?  (Read 1578 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
Cold Weather headlamp?
« on: Feb 05, 2024, 04:32 PM »
From what I could find on the search this hasn't been kicked around here since around 2019...so maybe some additional info and opinions are out there.  My headlamp isn't anything special and apparently doesnt like the cold as it went from fully charged to dead in 5 minutes this weekend.  The temp never got below 35 and it was in a cooler (for insulation from cold) with other batteries that had a hot hand in it.  It is a dual power source so switched it to aaa batteries and it worked but disappointing to say the least. 

Looking for a headlamp, small enough to be manageable, waterproof/dustproof, good lumens for spotlight, ability to change to a lower setting or dimming capabilities, red light option, locking option, and ideally the option to run on a usb rechargeable battery and AA or AAA for backup.  Number one factor is for it to have a power source I can trust and count on for cold weather activities. 

Favorite headlamps I've used are the Black Diamond Storm 400 (not rechargeable, built like a tank, spotlight is ok not remarkable) and the Petzl Artik Core rechargeable 450 (dual power, compact, was bright, had red LED, seemed to hold up in cold...lost this one unfortunately). 

Recommendations???

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Cold Weather headlamp?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2024, 05:36 PM »
I have been using a similar one like the one I have attached. It has a very bright LED wide display with two settings and also a very bright LED spot light with two settings. There is also a strobe light display. It is rechargeable. It also has a motion sensor button. When you turn on the motion sensor, you can just move your hand near the headlamp and it will turn on or off. I like this feature when I am fishing after dark as I don't need to remove my gloves if I want to turn the light on or off. I haven't used it for extended periods of time but it has held a charge for the amount of time I have needed to use it.

https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Flashlight-Headlight-Adjustable-Waterproof/dp/B09KCB8Q4R/ref=sr_1_1?crid=X5YZOUEXNZZH&keywords=LCD%2Bheadlamp%2Bband%2Bstrip&qid=1707175370&sprefix=lcd%2Bheadlamp%2Bband%2Bstrip%2Caps%2C355&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2024, 06:30 PM »
armytek elf,  order a couple extra batteries on ebay. well worth the money.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2024, 07:50 PM »
I use the Black Diamond Storm 400 with Energizer Recharge batteries.  Never had a problem down to around zero degrees.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2024, 09:38 PM »
It has been my experience that a headlamp of comparable size and comparable price, the integrated micro usb rechargeable ones either have less runtime or way more bulk, or cost way more than one which takes replaceable batteries. I don't rely on a headlamp too much for ice fishing, most of my uses are for hunting. Weight/size, and most importantly reliability are my biggest concerns.

There are a lot of options out there, but in my opinion one of the most well rounded, and durable headlamps available today is the Princetontec Vizz 550. It checks almost every box you ask for except one. The brightness is very good on high beam, there's not much better for how small and compact they are. They are dimmable. They have red light. They are lockable. They take regular old AAA batteries. I can attest to the waterproof and durability, they hold up. They even have a low battery indicator. The one and only thing they do not have is a rechargeable battery pack. They do not work with rechargable AAA batteries either. If you put Lithium AAA batteries in them, and I use Energizer Lithium, they will work in the extreme cold. Most years I see a few mornings at -20F, and they never fail. I can't even remember when I bought my original one, I remember when they were introduced, it was all of 10 years ago and still works as good as ever. My second one still works. I even bought a third to keep in the truck. 

One last bit, they are made in the USA.

Princeton Tec also makes a couple models which have some drawbacks, but you might want to look into. The Axis Rechargable looks about like the Vizz, similar size and features. It is micro USB rechargable, but it does not look like you could use AAA batteries as a backup. It is also less bright, and has less runtime. The price is higher, but not too bad. The other is the Apex rechargable. It has less features, but I almost never use red light or anything. Really all I ever use is high beam or low flood. There's no lock, but you can unplug it. This light is big and bulky, about 3 times the weight of the Vizz. Same brightness as the Vizz. It does have a mean battery pack though with really good runtimes. It can't use AA or AAA batteries, but you can buy extra battery packs for it.

In my opinion, I would rather carry two Vizz headlamps with me, than one big Apex which is exactly what I do. I always bring two Vizz headlamps with me on a hunting trip. I've never had one fail, and always have extra batteries, but it is nice to have one to loan out too.
-Tom

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2024, 09:50 PM »
I love my Fenix HM60R. I don't use the top strap and it stays put perfectly fine.  Uses an 18650 battery so you can swap them and also has onboard USB-C charging.  Has a frosted light for up close, an unfrosted LED for better throw, and a red LED.  Also has a nice big button for use with gloves.  It is a little pricey, but they have sales from time to time.

https://www.fenixlighting.com/products/fenix-hm60r-rechargeable-headlamp

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2024, 05:22 AM »
You said that you wanted a waterproof headlamp, but the Petzl Artik Core that you liked is not waterproof.  Its is IPX4 rated, so it's water-resistant.  Good luck.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2024, 09:02 AM »
O-light perun is what you're looking for, trust me.

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2024, 10:13 AM »
Lots of good info already. Leaning towards another Black Diamond Storm as my history has been good with it and I found a 400 on sale. Granted they don't have the dual power source but going with lithium batteries and a set of rechargeable energizers in the case as a backup seems like a reasonable compromise as I have those already.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2024, 10:22 AM »
Another vote for Fenix, bought the HM70R. Bright AF, USB-C charging port, excellent life on a single charge, lots of different brightness options.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2024, 12:49 PM »
I use the same Princetontech VIZZ 550 that Thomas uses. Never a problem.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2024, 01:08 PM »
This headlamp from COAST is best in class! I was looking for one that is rechargeable(withOUT removing the batteries) or can run on alkaline, is fairly small and has a BRIGHT white beam(flood OR spot) at a good price. THis one touches all the bases................. .................  I bought 2 for myself and have bought one for 3 of my buddies over the years and they ALL thanked me!(Profusely) ;) ;D

https://coastportland.com/collections/headlamps/products/fl85r

Where's the FISH?!

Offline RAD594

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2024, 01:48 PM »
I have 3 of these.  I use them all the time and they are great.  You can recharge them in your vehicle or at home.   Cold doesn't seem to have much affect on mine.  I ordered some extra batteries to carry in my hunting  and fishing packs.

https://www.amazon.com/Victoper-Rechargeable-Lightweight-Waterproof-Flashlight/dp/B09GFB7HSP/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2M3PAH2VDL5NQ&keywords=led%2Bheadlamp%2Brechargeable&qid=1707248450&sprefix=led%2Bheadlamp%2Caps%2C634&sr=8-8&th=1

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2024, 05:37 PM »
Ran7ger...that Olight perun 2 seems pretty intriguing!

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2024, 11:50 AM »
Rethinking what I want in this headlamp...

Nitecore NU50 should handle the cold weather. Still need a little case for carry but this may be the route.$65

Nitecore 65UHE can go without the top strap, 5 year warranty with removable battery whereas the NU series is 2 year warranty with not replaceable battery. UHE $80 and comes with case.  Hmmmm.....

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2024, 12:46 PM »
I've been using this guy for 3-4 years now and I love it.  The only downside I've noted is that it's pretty heavy as far as headlamps go, but the head strap keeps it in place just fine.  I like that it also doubles as a handheld flashlight, and the magnetic base comes in very handy, I use it working on vehicles often.  It also can be used as a backup battery for a cell phone with a USC cable if needed.  Your only point that it's missing is red mode.

https://www.amazon.com/HD20-Flashlight-Rechargeable-Floodlight-Waterproof/dp/B09SG39G1D
-Matt

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2024, 01:15 PM »
Ran7ger...that Olight perun 2 seems pretty intriguing!

I made a 10 mile trek through a windy bush trail with it after the voltage regulator fried all the lights on my sled.  The magnetic charger/base is super handy too.  They have frequent sales if you subscribe to their newsletter and I think they have a first time buyer discount too.

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2024, 02:40 PM »
Ordered the Nitecore HC65 UHE with extra cold weather battery.  Time will tell.  Thank you for the input and discussion.  I hope to share how it works in another gear report after a trip but the ice isn't doing us any favors this year :(

Offline CrappiePerchDude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2024, 09:03 PM »
I don’t think there is a light that can’t benefit from lithium batteries in cold weather…..

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2024, 09:56 PM »
I don’t think there is a light that can’t benefit from lithium batteries in cold weather…..

They don't have to be Lithium-Ion, but yes, Alkaline batteries are worthless below freezing. NIMH rechargables work fine in the cold too, but most are lower voltage so they don't work in all lights. Lithiums are the best performing though, at the disadvantage of higher cost and they are not rechargeable.
-Tom

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2024, 11:10 AM »
Sorry but lithium ions ARE rechargeable!!  :o
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2024, 11:15 AM »
Sorry but lithium ions ARE rechargeable!!  :o

That depends on the context. A lithium ion cell in a drill battery is rechargeable. A Lithium ion AAA like what goes in a headlamp is not.
-Tom

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 08, 2024, 03:15 PM »
Schooled by old sailor

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2024, 07:21 PM »
Schooled by old sailor
Us old farts do know a thing or two about modern tech!!  ;)
OS

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2024, 07:33 PM »
Cheap, a bit large, but crazy bright, long lastin charge and includes charger cord.
I've had zero issues at -33° for a couple of hours straight. Two power settings.

It also works great for spotlightin yotes.

https://a.co/d/4poXZZ2

Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2024, 11:16 PM »
O-light perun is what you're looking for, trust me.

I have an O Light.  Love it, and it's been working for over 5 years I believe.  The only downside on mine is the proprietary charger - don't lose it!

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2024, 11:17 PM »
I love my Fenix HM60R. I don't use the top strap and it stays put perfectly fine.  Uses an 18650 battery so you can swap them and also has onboard USB-C charging.  Has a frosted light for up close, an unfrosted LED for better throw, and a red LED.  Also has a nice big button for use with gloves.  It is a little pricey, but they have sales from time to time.

https://www.fenixlighting.com/products/fenix-hm60r-rechargeable-headlamp

I have a Fenix also.  Not sure of the model I have, but it is another dandy headlamp.  My O Light headlamp is another winner. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.