Author Topic: how many of you  (Read 3999 times)

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
how many of you
« on: Nov 28, 2006, 06:41 PM »
carry some piece of ice rescue equipment while ice fishing? I am a fire fighter/emt and have had some ice rescue training. We had a rescue last winter that made me realize how quick access to equipment will help save a life. I know own a 70' throwable rope bag made by Stearns.

Just curious how many people carry something?

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: how many of you
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2006, 06:55 PM »
I always carry a rope in my sled, just in case someone is to fall in. Also have my trusty Nextel out there.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2006, 06:58 PM »
I carry picks and wear a pfd on less than 8'' of ice. I ALWAYS carry a 30ft nylon strap in my pocket. It coils up nicely, and it is very easy to throw.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2006, 07:01 PM »
I carry picks, a 50 foot piece of 1/2 inch rope with loops on each end, and on first ice(less than 6 inches) a pfd as well....you never know....Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2006, 07:02 PM »

This is what I now carry. It is made by Stearns and is called the Rescue Mate Throw Bag

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2006, 07:23 PM »
Picks, I dont leave home without'em, or should I say my wife wont let me. I also pack extra clothes and a blanket to keep in the vehicle incase someone goes thru, they can change clothes to warm up.

This year on the open water I bough a autoinflate PFD, I may take it on early and late ice trips for extra saftey

Offline Bartman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2006, 07:27 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

This is what I now carry. It is made by Stearns and is called the Rescue Mate Throw Bag

That's pretty cool. Just checked it out on-line and it's only about 18 bucks.

I currently use pics, a pfd, and I have 50 feet of rope. Attached to the end of the rope, I've affixed a waterskiers handle, figuring it would be easier to grab on to.

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2006, 08:31 PM »
I wear a life vest early late season, a dry suit when its pretty thin. we also have good buncle of rope neatly coiled ready to throw, along with ice screws to anchor the rop to so you dont have a guy or two getting yanked in by the frantic unlucky one. 3 seconds to anchor a screw, another few to toss a rope.

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2006, 08:36 PM »
I have a whistle on my lanyard.
Tim Rogers

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2006, 08:43 PM »
I have been carrying a rope for years now on EVERY trip. Unfortunally I had to use it once to save someones life. I also almost always wear my picks, which I attach my jig glowwing light onto (to kinda force me  too wear them) This year I will be wearing my Mustang suit on every trip :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2006, 08:50 PM »
I always carry 50' of 1/2 rope attached to a square throwable pfd. Most of the time I've got a vest on while walking around. Had to pull a guy out once, you definately want something heavy enough to throw to them. That stearns thing looks pretty neat and storable. Paul

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2006, 09:05 PM »
I also carry a 50'rope with a boat cushion on the other end, ice picks and wear a pfd actually all the time as I fish alone on farm ponds a lot.

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2006, 09:08 PM »
I have a whistle on my lanyard.

That's a great idea. I'll have to ad that. I do wear a PFD on early and late ice. I also carry ice picks. I have a 50' rope with one of my boat fenders attached. It makes it easier to throw and won't hurt if I bonk someone in the head throwing it.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline sphynx_000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2006, 10:31 PM »
I plan on fishing more early ice this year, so I finally got prepared for an accident.

I have a set of ice picks, and a 50' nylon rope I plan to keep handy while fishing with sketchy ice conditions. But more importantly, I have researched a little bit on how your body reacts to cold water, and what you are supposed to do if you fall in. I have ran the scenario through my head a few times, and I honestly feel confident that I could deal with the situation if it ever happens to me. Just being prepared and keeping a confident attitude (dont panic) could really be the lifesaver.

and fyi, the core temp of your body drops at a rate 25 times faster when wet vs. when dry... Get  out of the wet cloths asap!

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2006, 10:37 PM »
I've never fished on any dicey conditions except once, we took lifejackets along though.
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2006, 12:20 AM »
I carry my pics and replace the rope on my sled to one about 20'+.  Carry a phone but it is not reliable on some of the lakes I fish.
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2006, 12:54 AM »
I am a fire fighter/emt and have had some ice rescue training.

Same here, except I am a certified Ice Rescue Tech (translates to :cookoo:) and having all that training tends to make us a little more fearless and dangerous to ourselves. I have never thought about it to much cause our ice is pretty thick up here but do carry ice pics. I am really cautious on the rivers and carry ice pics and rope.

Hope this message gets the point across that Your SAFETY on the ice is very important.

"Everyone Goes Home"

Brad

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2006, 02:29 AM »
Picks and a life jacket. last year was my first on the ice and I was pretty nervous the first few times out. I got used to wearing the life jacket so now I don't even notice it.

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

hali-man

« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2006, 04:11 AM »
I think the most important safety item any of us can have is a fishing partner.
If there is ANY doubt about the ice, do NOT go out there by yourself.
That also applies to night-fishing. Just don't do it.
I have gone through. It is not fun.

That being said- I (usually) have spikes and always have some rope.

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2006, 04:45 AM »
I think the most important safety item any of us can have is a fishing partner.
If there is ANY doubt about the ice, do NOT go out there by yourself.
I think that hali-man is right on. We carry spikes all the time and a 40' rope with boat cushion also. Would like to buy a nice C02 inflatable pfd that is not a hindrance to wear. Still looking.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2006, 06:38 AM »
I carry ice picks which go around my neck if I have any doubts about the ice. I'm not concerned with how macho I look either; they don't do any good buried in the bottom of your box. My sled always has 40' of poly rope with a loop around a short length of PVC pipe. This gives it some weight, as well. Also I practice tossing it before the season, just in case.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2006, 06:49 AM »
Ever since I went in, I wear picks and carry a 100' col of 3/8" rope tied to a float in the sled...

Offline oldwolf

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My first wife hated fishing!!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2006, 07:51 AM »
I always have 50 ft of climbing rope with me, picks, and change of clothes in car. Haven't had to use them in 50 yrs, thank God! I don't push my luck and check ice frequently when conditions iffy.

Offline spoonfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just one more
« Reply #23 on: Nov 29, 2006, 08:02 AM »
never use to but after going in myself i now take along my picks, a rope, and a life jacket.  funny how falling in changes how you think. i also make sure someone knows where i am fishing if i go alone.

only keep what you're gonna eat
                                                            MIRC

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #24 on: Nov 29, 2006, 10:31 AM »
Picks, I dont leave home without'em, or should I say my wife wont let me. I also pack extra clothes and a blanket to keep in the vehicle incase someone goes thru, they can change clothes to warm up.

This year on the open water I bough a autoinflate PFD, I may take it on early and late ice trips for extra saftey
Thats a good idea having the extra clothes and blanket,i will be doing that from now on!! :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 29, 2006, 12:46 PM »
I ALWAYS take along my 80' length of  3/4" rope that I usually use for my safety harness when Im roofing steep houses.  I   ALWAYS   get it out and undo the wrap i put it in and coil it for throwing before I EVER get on the ice.  Also I carry a couple 20 penny nails  I sharpend up in each pocket.  They may not be store bought picks but I think theyll suffice as long as I stay calm.  Im a water rat and have always loved to swim and I try to mentally prepare myself for what it would be like to go through.  And i usually have a pair of sweats and a blanket under the back seat at all times this time of year

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

PIKEGUY

« Reply #26 on: Nov 29, 2006, 12:58 PM »
50 feet of good nylon rope and a cell phone

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #27 on: Nov 29, 2006, 01:30 PM »
Carry picks and 50' of rope tied to a boat fender for to huck to the unlucky guy.  Golden rule about Lake Champlain---NEVER NEVER NEVER go on the ice without a compass.  You can get far from shore on good ice in a serious winter and white outs will happen.  Wouldn't want to walk to open water instead of the shore.

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline TROUTHUNTER35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 29, 2006, 04:59 PM »
I will usually carry rope and all the time picks.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 29, 2006, 05:15 PM »
I have heard ppl say " If ya pack it ya will never need." I guess thats one of Murphys Laws maybe?

Good enough reason for me to carry the proper equipment!

Stay on Top!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.