Author Topic: Wool clothing, merino wool etc.  (Read 2072 times)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Wool clothing, merino wool etc.
« on: Jan 17, 2022, 08:25 PM »
I have become a huge fan and user of wool base layers,  vests , hoodies etc. I have been using it exclusively the last few years. It's a great piece of gear. Most of mine is washable merino wool.  I recently purchased a merino wool vest to replace my poly vest. It looks to be very good quality.  My only concern is that it is dry clean only.  Supposedly because the wool was boiled in the manufacturing process it cant be washed under normal conditions.  Are there any wool experts on here. ? I know CD has some experience.  Can I hand wash this item? In sure someone on here also uses similar wool products. I spend alota money on my winter gear but it's worth it for my comfort.  I have looked online but couldn't find much.
Salmonemia

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Wool clothing, merino wool etc.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2022, 08:29 PM »
I would call the manufacturer. I have recently invested in Minus33 Merino base layers and socks for hunting and keeping my feet warm in the house. Everything I have can be machine or hand washed but I’m no expert.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2022, 08:37 PM »
Minus 33 is good. I been using wool x.
I did call them they said it was boiled wool. It can't handle washing . I understand that but wonder why that is.
I did read on a few forums it can be hand washed. Just asking if anyone has any personal experience on this? I'm a rule breaker sometimes. 
Salmonemia

Offline ishoot308

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2022, 09:03 PM »
I can’t say enough good about quality Merino wool clothing. I have a lot of the Minus 33 expedition weight base layer Merino wool and they have kept me comfortable, warm and dry in the coldest of weather. They are exceptional and by far the best clothing I have ever bought!

As far as washing them, you can machine wash on gentle cycle or hand wash if you want using a mild soap preferably designed for wool like this…. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Grangers-Merino-Wool-Wash-England/dp/B00R1FO6PM/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2JWMV82UQ7TPY&keywords=Grangers%2BMerino%2BWash&qid=1642475473&sprefix=grangers%2Bmerino%2Bwash%2Caps%2C425&sr=8-5&th=1

Turn them inside out before washing and never ever put them in the dryer on any setting… Air dry only!

Quality Merino wool should not be washed every time you wear it as it has a natural anti bacterial odor reducing property allowing multiple wears before washing.

Dan

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2022, 09:03 PM »
I believe hand washing is ok, but just need to air dry it, if you put it in a dryer it'll shrink.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2022, 09:15 PM »
Minus 33 is good. I been using wool x.
I did call them they said it was boiled wool. It can't handle washing . I understand that but wonder why that is.
I did read on a few forums it can be hand washed. Just asking if anyone has any personal experience on this? I'm a rule breaker sometimes.
Doesn’t make sense to me…what if you get it wet? Hand washing is as gentle as it gets…basically soaking in a wool specific detergent and softly swishing it around. Then gently press the water out and roll inside a towel then air dry. I would try hand washing just to see what happens…🤔

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2022, 04:41 AM »
I’m not telling you it’s right or wrong, I am telling you I do it with no issues. I machine wash all my Beaglewear and Sitka Wool, Then I air dry it.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2022, 06:11 AM »
I machine wash as well, air dry. Maybe it's 'breaking the rules" bit it works for me
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2022, 06:18 AM »
I machine wash as well, air dry. Maybe it's 'breaking the rules" bit it works for me

Yeup, wash inside out and air dry and no pilling or anything.

Disclaimer: if you hang it in shower or something overnight you won’t have clothes in the am lol. It takes 2 days. Ask me how I know  ::)
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2022, 06:38 AM »
Agreed, gentle cycle in the machine and air dry... I've learned from a couple pairs of socks that throwing them in the dryer will do them in.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2022, 06:42 AM »
I would wager that gentle machine washing and air dry would be fine. On many occasion I have had my woolies completely soaked through in the rain and air dried them without any damage. I think the biggest concern would be wear to the fabric and seams from getting tossed around in the wash over shrinkage.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2022, 06:46 AM »
I’m not telling you it’s right or wrong, I am telling you I do it with no issues. I machine wash all my Beaglewear and Sitka Wool, Then I air dry it.

same here.

I wash my Johnson Malone wool pants in the washer... cold water … air dry, same with my marino wool sweater and Heavy wool vest... been doing so since the 70's... the ONLY  time Ive had an issue was when I forgot to set to cold water... I think the pants shrank 15 sizes..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2022, 06:51 AM »
Thanks guys  . I currently wash all my wool items on gentle cycle using basefresh detergent. I never dry with heat just hang on the rack let it dry naturally.  I agree its seemed weird that it cant get wet especially since it is  a piece of outdoor gear. When the time comes I'll just wash by hand gently. Dry clean sounds like overkill.
And frank i hear that my clothes have vanished from the shower as well.
Salmonemia

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2022, 10:18 AM »
My minus 33, darn tough and black ovis stuff I was and dry with normal laundry.  I have some wool First Light pants that did not like the reg. cycle so I wash on a wool cycle and dry on a delicates cycle.  My Johnson wool does not get washed unless it really gets bloody or dirty.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2022, 01:42 PM »
5 gallon bucket, warm water and Woolite and hand wash all my Merino stuff and then lay it on  a large beach towel and roll it up and then walk on it to push out as much water as possible and then hang dry. Dries in a couple hours. Ive shrunk too much wool stuff in the past  and it still stings.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2022, 02:10 PM »
I wash my Johnson Malone wool pants in the washer... cold water … air dry, same with my marino wool sweater and Heavy wool vest... been doing so since the 70's... the ONLY  time Ive had an issue was when I forgot to set to cold water... I think the pants shrank 15 sizes..

Sounds like that mistake was rough on the plums!
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2022, 03:59 PM »
Thanks for all the good feed back. I really like the Five gallon bucket idea. Joe I can just imagine the words after you realized you shrunk those pants.
Salmonemia

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2022, 04:05 PM »
Still have my Beagle waterproof wool pants from decades ago.
Full zipper for boots.   Never be able to replace them.   Beagle shop was just east of Johnson Woolen mills. 
Dick

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2022, 04:42 PM »
Thanks for all the good feed back. I really like the Five gallon bucket idea. Joe I can just imagine the words after you realized you shrunk those pants.

LMAO..never to be repeated in church or in the presence of a lady.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline HiLoYo5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2022, 07:27 PM »
Depends entirely on the brand.  I hunt as well as fish so I buy First Lite brand Merino Wool.  I run that through the washing machine and drier (cold water, low heat) and have been for years with no shrinking. 

I’d go with whatever the manufacturer says to do.  But if you are in the market, the first lite stuff is fantastic.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2022, 06:34 PM »
I just checked the tag on my wool pants. It says JC Higgins. I don't think they had merino sheep when they were made lol.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2022, 06:42 PM »
I just checked the tag on my wool pants. It says JC Higgins. I don't think they had merino sheep when they were made lol.

LMAO😂 Geeze, Steph…now you got me thinking about the old Sears catalogs! 🤪
Those pants are probably more like steel wool! 🤣

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2022, 08:28 PM »
LMAO😂 Geeze, Steph…now you got me thinking about the old Sears catalogs! 🤪
Those pants are probably more like steel wool! 🤣

Yeah, I don't wear them without an underlayer! lol
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor