Author Topic: Houghton Lake  (Read 2073 times)

Offline denali

• IceShanty Rookie
Houghton Lake
« on: Sep 28, 2021, 02:11 PM »
Headed to Houghton Lake for a week during the full moon in Jan 2022, not asking for anyone’s honey hole, but if anyone can point me in the right direction, I finally bought a quad, so I am no longer limited to how far I can drag my gear
Some people spend their entire life wondering if they’ve made a difference in this world. The Marines don’t have that problem...President Ronald Reagan

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: Houghton Lake
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2021, 07:56 AM »
never been there.  if i was going i would study contour map winds and google images.  remember that is mid winter.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2021, 10:09 AM »
Post on the Michigan Thread.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2021, 04:19 PM »
Sorry to hear...there are much better lakes. You'll definitely need to find the honey holes and they're few and far between. Good luck.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline denali

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2021, 03:26 PM »
Not great news, but was able to get my wife to come up for Tip up Town, so it will be a good trip. Thanks folks
Some people spend their entire life wondering if they’ve made a difference in this world. The Marines don’t have that problem...President Ronald Reagan

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2021, 08:25 AM »
A lot of fishing pressure on Michigan lakes...

I fished a lake in Michigan in September that was nothing like it was back in the 70's when I attended college up there. I blame at least some of that on the zebra mussels wiping out the bottom of the food chain.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2021, 09:33 AM »
A lot of fishing pressure on Michigan lakes...

I fished a lake in Michigan in September that was nothing like it was back in the 70's when I attended college up there. I blame at least some of that on the zebra mussels wiping out the bottom of the food chain.

still some killer waters up there but you have to get waaay out in the boondocks away from population.  like the hale mi. area.  we still have some great waters too if you put in the time to find them.  the muscles are a valid point too.  i have watched some satained lakes go to 10ft visibility and weed choked.  then they spray poison in them to kill the weeds.  ::)
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2022, 05:13 PM »
Houghton is a great lake but its massive.... Can make for a long day if yiu dont find fish... But there are plenty of them in houghton.... But there are some smaller lakes within an hour of there that will probably produce for you better..... Especially during tipuptown.... A zillion jigs dangling in that lake by then
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2022, 08:51 AM »
Houghton is a great place to fish for pike. Panfish is another story. I've spent 20 hrs in a darkhouse over the last week an the dinks seem to get smaller every year while I'm staring into mother natures aquarium sized hole.
A map is a must for finding hotspots & NEVER on a weekend, if you ride out looking like a veteran slushie w/ battle tested gear showing, some clown
is gonna follow you to setup close by no matter how far out ya get.

I make 1-2 trips a year up dat way till da ice creeps closer to home, after that, the circus is over for dis' slushie

Straight lines & swift tines to ya

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.