Author Topic: Acme Hyper Glide Problem  (Read 620 times)

Offline CTBrahan

• IceShanty Rookie
Acme Hyper Glide Problem
« on: Feb 23, 2021, 07:12 PM »
Went ice fishing today in a little warmwater pond (about 50 acres) that I hike into. Quickly realized that the spots I fished a couple days prior had become a slush bowl (no joke 6 inches of slush on the ice! Fished with the spoon I caught them on prior but the bass and perch showed no interest. I decided to switch to a more agressive presentation, a acme hyper glide in the silver color (smallest size) and saw a big mood change in the fish. Every predatory fish in the lake started to seem to whack this thing (mostly 1.5-2.5 pound bass) and with every fish I would fight them to the hole and they would pop off right at the bottom of the hole and the lure would get stuck. Is there any way to fix this problem? If it were not for losing fish at the hole I would have landed 18 average sized largemouth and had a spectacular day. Other Information: 16 inches of ice, 6 inch Nils auger, 4 lb monofiliment line, ML shimano siena ice combo. It overall turned out to be a decent day of fishing, caught about 17 average sized perch and 10 small bass all under a pound on tungsten jigs that I switched to after realizing I could not land a fish on the acme hyper glide.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Acme Hyper Glide Problem
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2021, 07:25 PM »
You could cut the front hook off. They seem to catch at the bottom of the hole same as a Jiggin Rap sometimes does.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2021, 12:32 AM »
There's a reason why I cut the front hook off on lures with a hook on the head, often it will catch on the bottom of the edge of the ice hole.  It's not the lure's fault but some sometimes fish thrash a bit too much. 

Then also stepping up to a stronger rod power.  It helps to control and guide a fish better.  Control as in keeping the rod point centered in the hole and being more able to keep that line from rubbing on the bottom of the ice hole. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2021, 06:47 AM »
I’ve had this happen. It sounds stupid but when I see my leader I slow down and play the fish for a minute until she’s in a good position to come up through the hole.

Offline FishingCowboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2021, 02:23 PM »
Maybe a bigger hole instead of 6.5-inch hole would help. like a 8 or 10-inch..... ::)
Rounding them up for the corral.....

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2021, 02:25 PM »
I’ve had this happen. It sounds stupid but when I see my leader I slow down and play the fish for a minute until she’s in a good position to come up through the hole.
This is spot on

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.