New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Started fishing again this year ...now I'm ready to go ice fishing.  (Read 621 times)

Offline Raqdrew

• IceShanty Rookie
Hello all
Newbie here
I've picked up fishing again this year. My daughter loves it. We have been doing mostly saltwater. Started surf fishing at Jones beach this past fall. Had good times, loved it.We were bummed the season was over..but was it? In comes ice fishing!! I got the gear almost ready to go. Thinking of going to lake George to start with. Any advice about anything and everything would be most appreciated. We are driving up from Yonkers probably the weekend of the 20th.

Thank ya
Andrew

Offline Stka

• IceShanty Rookie
Welcome Raqdrew. Lake George has a lot of options. Are you planning to use tipups,  jig or both? What species of fish are you hoping to target?

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
Welcome. My advice to any newbie is drill a new hole if you don't get a bite after a few minutes. Keep drilling until you get bites.

Offline Flyingmaggot

• IceShanty Rookie
Warm clothing is probably the number 1 most important thing for ice fishing.  If you get cold you can't fish effectively. It gets overlooked many times on here because seasoned ice fishermen know it's cold. We don't think, 'it's 20 degrees, it's cold'. We look at 20 as a beautiful day as long as the wind isn't too bad. We look more to the best ways to fool fish now.   

You're standing on a sheet of frozen water. Cutting holes in the ice to get to water that is freezing cold(literally). So keep your feet warm. Really warm. Because if you're not standing directly on the ice,  you're standing in snow. Or slush with snow over it.

If your feet, hands and head stay warm. You are going to have a great day on the ice, regardless of the fish count. I've brought numerous new folks out, the biggest thing is to stay warm.

The whole ice fishing thing can be overwhelming at first,  but it doesn't have to be.  Dress warm and get out there.  If you don't have all the stuff for it or any clue what you're doing it's alright.  That's how we all started. Clearly there is something awesome to find out there or none of us would be on here.

I think it best to try and meet someone that knows what to do that doesn't mind giving you a crash course. Definitely stay active on here and watch some youtube videos. Lol but youtube can't make you feel a wind gust and iceshanty.com can't keep your toes warm.

Tight lines and best wishes for fishes. If you have a good experience you'll be thinking about flags or sonar in your sleep. Trust me

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Hello Raqdrew welcome to Ice Shanty. Please check your personal message in-box I sent you some information/ ideas that hopefully will help you have a good trip to Lake George. To open your personal Message page look under where it says Welcome Raqdrew you should see a bunch of words starting with Home to the right of this you should see My Messages when you have received a message you will see this MY Messages (1) or whatever number you have received. To open Personal Message page and read your message(s) place cursor on My Messages and left click.

Have a good trip.
 Steve

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hello Raqdrew and welcome to IceShanty.  For more specific info you should put your location in your profile so fishermen near you can give you local info.  Lake George is a big lake, what areas are you going to try?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.