Author Topic: Propane filters for Buddy Heaters??  (Read 9388 times)

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Propane filters for Buddy Heaters??
« on: Nov 27, 2018, 01:59 PM »
I have seen several Youtube videos where guys are using propane filters when attaching larger propane tanks to Buddy heaters.  They say that any refillable tank is unfiltered gas and contaminate heating element in heater. Also, hose gets bleached by gas and contaminates element. Anyone use filters or have any experience with damage to heaters without filters?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: Propane filters for Buddy Heaters??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2018, 02:06 PM »
I have seen several Youtube videos where guys are using propane filters when attaching larger propane tanks to Buddy heaters.  They say that any refillable tank is unfiltered gas and contaminate heating element in heater. Also, hose gets bleached by gas and contaminates element. Anyone use filters or have any experience with damage to heaters without filters?

Yup...tried using them when I ran my Mr. Heater sunflower on the 20# tanks and it plugged up in no time. They also recommend using the "green" hose instead of the black one, but they are a little pricey...to me anyway. 
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2018, 02:07 PM »

Well, your information is half right.  (A) ALL propane fuel reaching the consumer has been filtered for contaminants  several times prior to being pumped into your tank.  (B) yes, most hoses used to supply the LP from the portable tank to the heater will breakdown.  This is what the filter is there to filter out before it reaches the orifices in the heater.

I use a filter that is inline where the 1lb. tank would be if using a 1lb. tank.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2018, 02:07 PM »
When using the large bulk tanks using a filter and/or the proper hose known as the "green hose" is in order .Otherwise the heaters innards can get gunked up .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2018, 02:10 PM »
Use black hose with filter on 20# tank and have had no problems.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2018, 02:46 PM »
I use a filter that is inline where the 1lb. tank would be if using a 1lb. tank.
This is how I hook up my filter also.
I read enough posts from others to not take chances so I use the filter.
I've burned through ~ 3-20 lb tanks without issue (knock on wood).
I'm just not sure how many tanks 1 filter can filter? Should I swap out filters, or is 1 good enough for several burned tanks?
Sorry for the hi-jack. :-\
It must be something in the water.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2018, 02:50 PM »
Well, your information is half right.  (A) ALL propane fuel reaching the consumer has been filtered for contaminants  several times prior to being pumped into your tank.  (B) yes, most hoses used to supply the LP from the portable tank to the heater will breakdown.  This is what the filter is there to filter out before it reaches the orifices in the heater.

So if it is filtered so many times...as you say...why the need for the filter?

Please read paragraph 3 of link

https://www.allianceautogas.com/new-lpg-filter-removes-potentially-harmful-particulate-matter/

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2018, 02:51 PM »
Green Hose = Filter

Black Hose = No Filter

If you buy any of the brand name Mr Heater hoses it will say on the back of the packaging if a filter is required or not.  Here is a pic of my green house with a filter:

//.\\//.\\ark

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2018, 02:51 PM »
This is how I hook up my filter also.
I read enough posts from others to not take chances so I use the filter.
I've burned through ~ 3-20 lb tanks without issue (knock on wood).
I'm just not sure how many tanks 1 filter can filter? Should I swap out filters, or is 1 good enough for several burned tanks?
Sorry for the hi-jack. :-\

I've been using the same filter for enough YEARS I don't know how many 20lb. tanks I've went thru. (lots)   I think it would take a lot of contaminants to plug one of those add on filters.  I'll keep using the same one until I notice a decrease in the flow rate of the LP.
take care,

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2018, 02:54 PM »

https://www.allianceautogas.com/new-lpg-filter-removes-potentially-harmful-particulate-matter/

The hose between the portable tank and the heater breaks down, thus a filter is needed just prior to the LP entering the heater.
take care,

Offline topwaterbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2018, 02:55 PM »
I have been using this hose for over ten years with no filter and no problems. But i guess a filter wouldn't hurt.

Specially designed material eliminates need for fuel filter

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mr-Heater-10-ft-Buddy-Series-Hose-Assembly-F273704/305092305

http://www.mrheater.com/sporting/10ft-buddy-series-propane-hose-assembly.html

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2018, 02:56 PM »
According to a phone call to tech support at Mr. Heater, the reason for the filter is to takeout the plasticiser in the tubing. I was told that their 10 foot hose uses a special tubing that does not use the plasticiser. According to the person I spoke with, this is the only hose that they recommend without the filter.

noun: plasticiser

a substance (typically a solvent) added to a synthetic resin to produce or promote plasticity and flexibility and to reduce brittleness.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2018, 03:00 PM »

(A) This is a sales pitch to sell filters.
(B) They state that "historically" LP gas was not filtered.  Nothing is claimed about present day practices.
take care,

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2018, 03:01 PM »
I've been using the same filter for enough YEARS I don't know how many 20lb. tanks I've went thru. (lots)   I think it would take a lot of contaminants to plug one of those add on filters.  I'll keep using the same one until I notice a decrease in the flow rate of the LP.

As I said, my experience was different. I used the filter and 30 min. later it was plugged. I removed it and the heater fired right back up again. But I really haven't been a fan of any of the propane heaters for various reasons. It's why I'm going back to Coleman (fuel) heaters. Never any issues with them at all. I'm pretty much of an old school guy anyway.  ;)

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 2018, 03:08 PM »
Just found this read.
https://stop-dont-buy.myshopify.com/products/a-mr-heater-fuel-filter-review-wont-answer-these-24-questions

Great explanation.

Conclusion: Use a filter or use the 10 foot hose == or have problems.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2018, 03:12 PM »
Just found this read.
https://stop-dont-buy.myshopify.com/products/a-mr-heater-fuel-filter-review-wont-answer-these-24-questions

Wow...I just now found this myself and was getting ready to post and here it was...thanks AD...good stuff.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 2018, 03:52 PM »
Wow...I just now found this myself and was getting ready to post and here it was...thanks AD...good stuff.
It actually looks like it is a compilation of the Q & A from Amazon. A lot of the Q's are the same.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 27, 2018, 03:58 PM »
My understanding on filters has been this:

A filter is only required if you use a "bulk tank". Most green bombs connect directly so they're fine.

If you use a hose from the tank to the appliance you may need a filter. It is junk from the inside of the hose that causes the problems. If your connection is all metal fittings a filter is not needed. For example: if you have a tank top heater that connects directly to the tank via the fittings = no filter. Same appliance, run "remotely" via a rubber hose extension = filter needed.

Now, I believe there is a type of hose where a filter not needed. I'm pretty sure a filter is required for conventional black hose whereas the green hose has been made to not need a filter. I could be wrong...

Yep, literature says you should change annually. Me? I have one on hand and don't change it until it won't light.

Frankly, I found the "stop-dont-buy.myshopify.com/products/a-mr-heater-fuel-filter-review-wont-answer-these-24-questions" link confusing and conflicting, giving both yes and no answers to the same question. I get the sense that the "answers" found there are only different folks chipping in on what they think they know (kinda like here). So yes, you can also take or leave my comments  ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 27, 2018, 04:02 PM »
Now, I believe there is a type of hose where a filter not needed. I'm pretty sure a filter is required for conventional black hose whereas the green hose has been made to not need a filter. I could be wrong...

Yes. The hose that does not need a filter is the 10 foot Mr Heater hose because the hose material does not use plasticsers that leach out into the propane and clog the heater.  To your point, all metal connections without the rubber hoses do not use plasticisers either, so no filter needed.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 27, 2018, 04:06 PM »
HuntinDsve
A) the only reason for a filter is for cheap hoses?
B )one pound bottles used by consumers do not need filter?
C) if I were to fill one pound bottle from 20 pound tank filled at KOA campground; then no filter needed?

Offline topwaterbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 27, 2018, 04:06 PM »
https://stop-dont-buy.myshopify.com/products/a-mr-heater-fuel-filter-review-wont-answer-these-24-ques

QUESTION: HOW LONG DOES THIS FILTER LAST? DOES IT NEED TO BE REPLACED PERIODICALLY, DEPENDING ON USE?
• As others said, the it is recommended that it be replaced each year. The reason for using a filter is to catch oils that get "squeezed" out of most hoses under high pressure and goes into the fuel stream. So if you don't want to have a $10 regular cost, the alternatives are to use the "oil-free" hose F273704 made specially by Mr heater or use a regulated supply. Either of those may be more spendy, but they are a 1 time cost versus a cheaper hose and constant filters (depending on how often you use it).

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 27, 2018, 04:07 PM »
See description highlighted in yellow from Mr Heater website.

This is ONLY true of the 10 foot hose with no plasticisers.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline j6kwok

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 27, 2018, 04:46 PM »
So really it's not the propane it has to do with the hose material?

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 27, 2018, 04:48 PM »
So really it's not the propane it has to do with the hose material?

Correct - it is NOT the propane. As far as Mr. Heater is concerned, there is only 1 hose made of the material that does not need a filter.  This is their 10 foot hose pictured above.

If it was the propane, every device running propane would need a filter, including all the household items that run off the large propane tanks in rural areas. This is not the case.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Nov 27, 2018, 05:04 PM »
Here's what I've surmised from this whole thing:

1) Propane is dirty. It's not as clean and pure as some may think. Otherwise, there would be no need for filters and special hoses.

2) Speaking of hoses...green is the new black

3) Filters work...or they don't. They didn't for me.

4) I'm going back to Coleman fuel heaters...less "stuff" to carry...less "stuff" to worry about...fill the tank and it lasts all day...and it doesn't "stink" as some may claim. Used the lanterns for years and never once noticed an odor. Just used a camp stove a couple weeks ago...didn't smell a thing.

5) So, no more 20# tanks @37# gross...no more 1# canisters @ $24 / gal. ( that's 8 canisters X $3 each) and then I have to dispose of them. By contrast, Coleman fuel is about $20/gal. but a quart will last almost all day.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 27, 2018, 05:07 PM »
I'm going to run my Chabe stove.    ;)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Nov 27, 2018, 05:12 PM »
I'm going to run my Chabe stove.    ;)

:thumbsup:

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 27, 2018, 06:39 PM »
I think that this predictably recurrent topic is a good candidate to be pinned in the equipment section.

Yes, the special Mr. Heater hose (without plasticisers?) doesn't need a filter, like the 10ft hose I use with my portable buddy:

http://www.mrheater.com/10ft-buddy-series-propane-hose-assembly.html

"Specially designed material eliminates need for fuel filter"

Any hose with a regulator is in the same boat, no filter.  Notably, the quick connect hose I use with my Big Buddy:

http://www.mrheater.com/12ft-big-buddy-hose-with-regulator.html

Note that the instructions for filter use and the quick connect assembly are physically incompatible - further evidence of the pressure component (see below).

Yes, it is apparently a pressure thing.  I.e., the plug-you-up stuff (technical term) doesn't leech from the hose at low pressure (downstream from a regulator).

Some folks use a filter where it's not prescribed.  No problem and additional guard against contaminants in the gas.

Some folks don't use a filter where it is prescribed and haven't had problems yet.  True, but not recommended by me or the manufacturer.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 27, 2018, 06:45 PM »
i use the filter buy a new one every year at begining of season

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.