The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hog Island Report first day of spring  (Read 1054 times)

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hog Island Report first day of spring
« on: Mar 20, 2018, 04:17 PM »
So I saw that the wind would be the least today so I got on the ice at 9:30.  The bait situation is not the best.  All she had was small shiners for perch bait and some not much bigger for pike bait.

Anyway, there was no wind at all and it was a glorious day on the ice.  The edge at the ramp at Tabor's Point is all healed over and solid.  Just don't walk next to the rocks; it was open by the end of the day. 

I set up in the same spot and then went out to 12' feet of water to start jigging.  The bite started on the very first minnow down the hole and it was fast and furious, one right after the other, and some not waiting until it got to the bottom, right up to almost noon time and they stopped dead and then BAM, I got a hard hit but nothing else and then BAM again and my arm got jerked down and then PING, that was it, she left with my perch hook in her.

Then it was kind of slow for awhile and I thought maybe it was due to the first day of spring, the equinox.  Then about 2:00 it started again and was one right after another and all good sized (I only had less than a dozen dinks all day) and then suddenly stopped so I knew there was another pike down there.  Then I had three flags at the same time; lost the first one and then got this little one but what a fighter in those rocks!  The third one was stripped bare.

There's at least 15' of solid ice out there and the walking wasn't too bad with about 6' of snow on top but on the way off it had frozen over and got really slippery.  Four other guys on the ice, one said he'd been there all day since 6:00  and only got 16 perch; another agreed.  The two Quebecers seemed to be hauling in lots of little ones.

They're all cleaned and in the fridge; nice batch, only had two I threw away, loaded with worms, really loaded, almost made me sick, never so many in one fish before.

On the way home I snapped this of the geese at Charcoal Creek.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
Re: Hog Island Report first day of spring
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2018, 05:17 PM »
Sounds like a good way to spend the first day of spring! Haven't been fishing for two weeks now and I'm anxious to get back out on the water. Looking to head up that way, possibly St. Alban's, but from the sounds of it, the white bite is non existent. Either way it will put an end to my fishing withdrawal symptoms. As always, thanks for the report and tight lines!
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2018, 06:28 PM »
Thanks, as always enjoyed your report.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2018, 04:21 AM »
That's a great picture of the. Thanks for sharing!

Offline skeet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2018, 06:11 AM »
Awesome picture of the geese. As always enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2018, 03:53 PM »
That's a great picture of the. Thanks for sharing!
GEESE

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.