Author Topic: Gonna purchase float suit... need recommendations please  (Read 5232 times)

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
My wife suddenly loves the idea of the more safety that comes with a float suit which is fantastic that means I'm in the business for some type of float suit or outerwear.   

Looking for recommendations and sizes for a 250 pounder.   Appreciate any advice or direction in advanced.   I also don't have a money tree so best bang for my buck $.

Stay safe out there and enjoy!
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
Re: Gonna purchase float suit... need recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:45 PM »
I have the Striker Ice Predator jacket and bibs and I can't imagine a better suit.  Three of my buddies who don't ice fish, but snowmobile, were so impressed that they all bought the same jackets and bibs this season.

They are incredibly well-designed.  I'm on my third season with them and have absolutely no complaints.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:42 PM »
Check out the new Ascent Parka and Bibs from Ice Armor by Clam. I am 5' 7" 230 and went with a 2XL parka ( normally wear a XL but a sizing error has everyone that buys one go up to the next size from their normal size, this will be corrected on next years run of the parkas. they forgot to allow for the thickness of the insulated liner inside so if you order your normal size it ends up being tight on you.) for the Bibs I went with a XL bib.

here is the links to them :

Blue Parka : http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/icearmor/outerwear/parkas/ascent-float-parka-blue.html

Orange Parka : http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/icearmor/outerwear/parkas/ascent-float-parka-orange-3124.html

Green Parka : http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/icearmor/outerwear/parkas/ascent-float-parka-green.html

Bibs (one color only) : http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/icearmor/outerwear/bibs/ascent-float-bib-charcoal-black-3012.html
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline conococheague

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2018, 06:48 AM »
I see you live in Pennsylvania as do I.  Years ago I posted the same question here and someone suggested the StrikerIce Lite flotation bibs and jacket.  I hesitated due to the term "Lite" - I wanted something that would be plenty warm.  However, because I do all of my ice fishing in PA I took the advice and got it.  I'm so glad I did.  It, too, is an awesome suit and can be too warm on many days, so I can only imagine what the Predator or heavier suit would feel like.  I don't have a shelter or shanty (yet) and I'm outside the whole time I'm on the ice.  The coldest day I fished this year it was 1 degree when I started.  I had UnderArmour as a base layer, then jeans and a flannel shirt over that and the Striker bibs and jacket.  I was toasty warm the whole time.  On days when the temps were in the teens and twenties, I skipped the UnderArmour.  I've yet to be cold be in that outfit.  The waterproof reinforced knees are great as are all of the pockets.  The bibs have triple zippers up the outside of both legs and I can easily and quickly get them on and off over pac boots.  I don't know if they still make the Lite suit but I love mine and would recommend it if you only plan to fish in PA.

Conococheague

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2018, 07:19 AM »
Striker Ice ..Predator style... FishUSA ..A little trek north of you ...most members questions on size is a major concern...so maybe a road trip is the best way to assure good fit ...they also are discounted some now I believe .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:59 PM »
I also recommend Striker Ice Predator jacket & bibs

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:10 AM »
I got the striker suit and its great for Minnesota winters and running around on the ice.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:18 AM »
I tested out my Frabill I-float bibs Wednesday afternoon and they kept me afloat....Was not my intention to test them but I'm pleased to know they work.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline JJBat150

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2018, 05:50 PM »
4 years ago, I picked up a pair of Striker Ice Predator Bibs  2XL size - no complaints, nice and warm, but minimal flotation.

This summer, picked up a 2XL Frabill I-float jacket for like 70% at Field Supply.  Jacket is nice and warm - but a bit bulky due to the flotation material, I'm hoping it will soften up the more I use it.

I'm 6 ft tall - When I bought the bibs & jacket, I was close to 280 lbs, and they were still big enough to have a few layers on underneath comfortably.  Since then, I've lost weight, and am currently 225 lbs - I could probably get away with an XL size for both now.

Also, just looked at Field Supply website - they still have some Frabil stuff at good prices www.fieldsupply.com

Offline Houligan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2018, 12:13 AM »
I have the Striker Ice Predator jacket and bibs and I can't imagine a better suit.  Three of my buddies who don't ice fish, but snowmobile, were so impressed that they all bought the same jackets and bibs this season.

They are incredibly well-designed.  I'm on my third season with them and have absolutely no complaints.

Tight lines,
Bob

I can, Striker Ice Climate...

Offline Walleyewacker007

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2018, 12:51 AM »
I have a Striker Ice Climate suit and it is an amazing piece of safety and comfort technology. I wear it over the top of a sweatshirt  and fleece pants, no thermal underwear needed even in -25 weather. It is waterproof and has kept me bone dry on 33 dergree nasty wind, rain days where the rain fell sideways, driving in to you, for a full 10+ hours. I have also had the misfortune of testing the flotation aspects of my suit and couldnt be happier or feel safer than I do now in my Climate. I can tell you firsthand the flotation works GREAT! I broke through and stayed on top of the water, and was able to simply throw an arm and leg on the ice and roll out on to the hard deck...I didn't even wet the inner layers of clothing under the suit! I haven't used it without the liners but I'm sure they would still be warm enough to fish all but the coldest days, as most any type of physical activity makes me remove the jacket to prevent from sweating.  The only complaint I have is the towels could be attached better. Remember, this isnt just a comfort accessory, it is a vital piece of safety equipment from not only the flotation aspect but also the warmth and protection from the elements. The quality of the fabric is also first rate and very thick and tough.  I regularly hit my knees to change baits or set my traps and it feels like I'm wearing knee pads along with that I haven't seen any noticeable wear or tear. Lots of pockets everywhere and the adjustable length bibs make a custom fit. The way you know how warm it is can be confirmed by the fact that I don't even wear gloves anymore since getting the climate.

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2018, 10:14 PM »
Thanks for all of your input gents.   I'll need traveling north next week so I may stop in FishUSA and check out sizes and styles.   Will definitely be a post season purchase coming up.

Thanks again for the insight.
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline muskyjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2018, 11:57 PM »
Striker ice climate!!!  Nuff said :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2018, 05:12 PM »
Several years ago I bought the only flotation suit available in my area and it was the Arctic Armour Pro. I had great use out of it keeping me warm and dry and wearing it gave me the insurance to put myself in harms way to save a fellow fisherman who fell in. This year I was looking at the suit and there were numerous cracks and rips mostly due to the fabric getting old and brittle. I went shopping and bought the Striker Climate coat and bibs. Big improvement in quality of construction, design and function. The suit is much warmer with the removable liner than the old AA suit but a bit heavier in weight. We get some real cold windy weather here on Lake Champlain in Vermont and I normally just wear light duty insulated UW and a flannel lined shirt under the suit. A word of caution though I feel they run small. I am 5'9" and weigh 185 and the bibs which fit well are XL and the coat 2XL. The bibs have a neat adjustment system to shorten the legs for people who don't need a tall size. I give this suit a 5 star rating.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline lipripr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2018, 10:02 PM »
A word of caution though I feel they run small. I am 5'9" and weigh 185 and the bibs which fit well are XL and the coat 2XL. The bibs have a neat adjustment system to shorten the legs for people who don't need a tall size. I give this suit a 5 star rating.

I'd agree w the sizing. (Same measurements.)  I went w L on bibs, but did 2XL w jacket. Like a little extra room on top. Didn't purchase any new fishing gear this year, updated my clothing instead.  Good decision! Been out in some cold stuff this year and the new clothing worked great! Should mention, mine were the 'Predator', but, still a nice investment for me.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Mar 16, 2018, 10:58 PM »

I have the striker climate  , it’s the warmest outfit I have ever owned , and it’s now going on 4 years old , plus it is a float suit , I just wear jeans and a T with a  sweat shirt underneath
  I to stepped up 1 size and glad I did

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #16 on: Mar 17, 2018, 08:54 AM »
sizing is not consistent with striker wear. my hardwater bibs are  tight on the gut when zipping it closed while my climate suit is huge, both are the same label size of xl. using the same base layers.

i wear pajama bottoms or fleece or poly for liners to keep the bibs cleaner. otherwise nothing is needed under them for warmth in either version.

i like the hardwater best for how i use them and that is intact. maybe if i use it w/o the built in liner they may shine then.

i washed my hardwater bibs in cold water and hung them to dry. the climate bib is too new to need to wash.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.