Author Topic: Size DOES matter.  (Read 2747 times)

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Size DOES matter.
« on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:54 AM »
Here’s something to consider when choosing a battery for your drill/auger combo.  While 2 batteries might be the same voltage, the amp hour rating is crucial to making sure the tool performs adequately.   This video is a great example of why you should always choose the largest ah battery you can.   Although a 2ah and a 5ah battery both are 18v, the 5ah battery will not only last longer than the 2amp, but more importantly will deliver more torque and higher RPM.   It doesn’t seem like it would matter 18 volts is 18 volts, right?   Well this video proves without a doubt why a bigger battery is better.   

&t=9s

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Size DOES matter.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2017, 10:02 AM »
thanks for the proof!

i've been saying that for years here. some disagree. it depends on how many amps the motor wants. if it's under powered, it can't perform as well and if it's over powered, it will use what it wants. there is a middle, but varies on load, what it demands for amps and voltage.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=342045.msg3633402#msg3633402

i was watching this test closely and noticed on each test he would "fix" the results. one was by how long he kept the trigger engaged (not allowing full no load speed/rpm) and the other with the drill was how hard he was pushing it. you can see he split the wood pushing the final test by pushing too hard while none of the other holes had splintered wood.
watch this a little closer and you can see what i am saying.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2017, 10:09 AM »
I think he explained it very well.

The only real concerns ice anglers would be concerned with would be the weight aspect and how the battery reacts to cold weather.

Good post!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2017, 10:53 AM »
I could certainly tell the difference when I hooked up my Milwaukee 9.0 battery vs using my 5.0 batteries.

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:20 AM »
Here’s something to consider when choosing a battery for your drill/auger combo.  While 2 batteries might be the same voltage, the amp hour rating is crucial to making sure the tool performs adequately.   This video is a great example of why you should always choose the largest ah battery you can.   Although a 2ah and a 5ah battery both are 18v, the 5ah battery will not only last longer than the 2amp, but more importantly will deliver more torque and higher RPM.   It doesn’t seem like it would matter 18 volts is 18 volts, right?   Well this video proves without a doubt why a bigger battery is better.   

&t=9s
Great post... 
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:26 AM »
Great post, very informative. I've always said size matters ;D

Offline Gonefission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:31 AM »
How true.. I get asked alot of questions about my drill setup and I've told everyone the most important part is the batteries.  I use 20v. Dewalt with 4 and 5 amp/ hr batteries turning 8" Mora it does very well   

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:00 PM »
VERY informative posts for any who have doubts about battery size! Thanks for posting!
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2017, 03:27 AM »
I KNEW it!! ;D

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2017, 08:03 AM »
I KNEW it!! ;D
LOL!!
finally, some recognition!

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2017, 07:27 AM »
HaHa!!

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2020, 09:25 AM »
I just learned another reason for a larger battery: Less cycles! I used the same 9AH battery for 2 days, almost 100 holes, and still have 2 bars (half?)
If I only charge half as often, I get more trips out of the battery. With the smaller batteries, I topped them off every day, so I got 1 cycle per trip, and some of those batteries are showing their age after 6 years- drill cuts out, can one get most of a day, where they used to make it easily. Batteries are rated for 300-500 cycles, so if I charge this one only every 2-3 trips, I should get 1000 trips instead of 300 before it starts to fail.
Since the larger capacities are made by putting more cells in parallel, it has more peak current capacity, which means as you lose capacity because of extreme cold, you have a better chance of still working.
 :tipup:

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2020, 08:48 AM »
I KNEW it!!
LOL!! finally, some recognition!

She's been lying to me.... all these years :unsure:
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2020, 06:40 AM »
She's been lying to me.... all these years :unsure:
might help if the  FLAG wasn,t the only thing UP!!! wire

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2020, 10:20 AM »
Also from the same battery article, the aging of a lithium battery comes mainly from the last few tenths of a volt- but charging up to the max voltage is required to get the rated capacity. Since I seem to have more than enough capacity , I charged up to 3 bars, 4th bar flashing, but not declaring full. Fished all day, still showing 3 bars. I should be able to get another day out of it. If I charge to 75%, and only charge every other time, this battery should outlast me.
I also use a 5 inch Lazer auger, which is the most efficient I can find that still lets me get a 15 inch perch out of the ice. That is why I can get so many holes with so little battery. I can drill 14 inches of ice in about 4 seconds.
So for batteries, bigger is better, but for augers, smaller is best.

OK, I just realized the suggestive comments that is going to spark.. ;)

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2020, 11:45 AM »
You have to gauge what the battery PROVIDES at its maximum compared to what the device in question NEEDS for optimal performance and get a battery that has a higher Ah rating than what you need. Not so much for optimum power/performance, but for longer life between recharges.

I believe the formula was Volts X Amps = watts
So if a tool uses 10 watts per hour at full power and you have an 18V battery with 5 amps, the battery could provide up to 90 watts of power, or for that device, just under 9 hours of usage.

Of course that's based on optimal conditions of tool and battery, with a fully charged battery.

I do agree that if the tool is underpowered by a low AH battery you will be cursing the tool thinking it's broken or can't do the job at hand.
Sure, you can get away with the bare minimum battery capacity, but consider what you need it for and how it will impact the task at hand.

Please feel free to correct any errors in my train of thought, as I'm typing this from memory and memories are not always reliable.....

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2020, 12:21 PM »
Sorry all of this battery stuff is beyond me. I use a 5 amh for my drill setup and it works for me!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2020, 12:38 PM »
I just wanted to stop in and say DTro I’ve been loving your videos. We chatted on another thread about all the “in your face, exaggerated” YouTube videos and I’m glad you spoke up and said yours wasn’t that way. Sturgeon and cat fishing isn’t my thing at all but it’s still an entertaining to watch because I can relate to your personality a lot better. Not to mention these very informative videos, and heck, if I ever make it out ice fishing for sturgeon, I’m a step ahead!
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2020, 03:45 PM »
You have to gauge what the battery PROVIDES at its maximum compared to what the device in question NEEDS for optimal performance and get a battery that has a higher Ah rating than what you need. Not so much for optimum power/performance, but for longer life between recharges.

I believe the formula was Volts X Amps = watts
So if a tool uses 10 watts per hour at full power and you have an 18V battery with 5 amps, the battery could provide up to 90 watts of power, or for that device, just under 9 hours of usage.

Of course that's based on optimal conditions of tool and battery, with a fully charged battery.

I do agree that if the tool is underpowered by a low AH battery you will be cursing the tool thinking it's broken or can't do the job at hand.
Sure, you can get away with the bare minimum battery capacity, but consider what you need it for and how it will impact the task at hand.

Please feel free to correct any errors in my train of thought, as I'm typing this from memory and memories are not always reliable.....

Since larger batteries are more cells in parallel, they have higher peak current. A 6 AH 18V would have twice the peak current as a 3AH. Of course, the tool has resistance, plus a current control circuit, so the tool would never behave as a dead short.
Where the advantage comes in, as far as performance, is when the battery performance degrades. Aging reduces peak current as well as peak storage capacity. Cold also reduces current capacity.
If you have a larger battery, which has plenty of excess current capacity for what you are trying to do, it will still work when losing capacity due to cold, and will work even after some aging. My old, small batteries were starting to have problems with bogging down, stalling, and running out of power before I could finish the day. My new, large battery has no problems even in the cold, and last at least 2 full days of hole hopping.

:tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.