Author Topic: Eskimo Quickfish 2 Repairs  (Read 14045 times)

Offline groundsluice_pete

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for hard water fishing.
Eskimo Quickfish 2 Repairs
« on: Feb 10, 2008, 11:02 AM »
Anyone know how to replace tension poles on Eskimo Quickfish shelters? I destroyed two yesterday up on Hidden.
See you up the trail.

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God bless the USA and Canada!
Re: Eskimo Quickfish 2 Repairs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2008, 04:34 PM »
[email protected]

1-800-345-6007 (customer service)

Give them a try, I have talked to them via email with no luck but have not called them yet, I have the same problem with my QF3 and after several emails I gave up, they demanded that I give them a part number and in my instructions the poles were not listed under a part number.  My QF experience has not been a good one, hope you have better luck.  :tipup:
Bob

Offline ice junkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2008, 08:23 PM »
 I have talked to them about my QF 6 and all they need is a pole length.

Offline The Hooked One

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 14 lb laker
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2008, 08:54 PM »
If you can get to fairbanks, sportsmans warehouse has replacement parts in the back. But tyou gotta talk to the right people.
<)))=<

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God bless the USA and Canada!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2008, 09:19 PM »
If you can get to fairbanks, sportsmans warehouse has replacement parts in the back. But tyou gotta talk to the right people.

Thanks, I will go to SW and see if they have the parts I need. 
Bob

Offline martenpine

• IceShanty Rookie
  • when there is shot in the air there is hope
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2008, 01:34 PM »
Hey, pete if you find some replacement poles please tell me were you did as I also broke 1 this weekend up on the Swanson road lakes last weekend.

Offline The Hooked One

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 14 lb laker
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2008, 09:39 PM »
If you find anything out from the quickfish guys let me know. I wouldnt mind having a few back up poles and joints.
<)))=<

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2008, 12:20 AM »
I checked with Trustworthy Hardware here in Slowdotna today, and though they had no factory poles, they had solid fiberglass poles of the same diameter which could be cut to fit ($2.49 each). The hardware guy had fixed a few, and he explained how to replace them without taking apart the hub.

These poles are white, and heavier than the factory poles. I will try to repair my tent Friday night when I have some time, and will tell you how it went.
See you up the trail.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2008, 04:32 AM »
Did you get it fixed Pete?  I was thinking of conduit, or perhaps a piece as a temp fix... ;)
TEAM ALASKA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2008, 02:28 PM »
Did you get it fixed Pete?  I was thinking of conduit, or perhaps a piece as a temp fix... ;)

The stuff they have is way more flexible than aluminum or steel, plus it is the same diameter. It is like the rods they use to mark driveways, plow blades and kid's 4-wheelers. I imagine one of those rods would work too.

My boy's 7th birthday party is on Saturday, and the wife is pushing me to be a participant, so will have to find some time to get it done.
See you up the trail.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2008, 11:50 PM »
The stuff they have is way more flexible than aluminum or steel, plus it is the same diameter. It is like the rods they use to mark driveways, plow blades and kid's 4-wheelers. I imagine one of those rods would work too.

My boy's 7th birthday party is on Saturday, and the wife is pushing me to be a participant, so will have to find some time to get it done.

Well, I got it fixed. I had to take the (2) hubs apart to pull out the broken poles. All you do is unscrew a nut, and pull off a plate. I measured each replacement fiberglass pole against the old ones and marked them. I then cut each broken pole off the metal ends that pivot inside the hubs and took them to a vice, and drilled out the waste fiberglass. Next I took a coarse file and reduced the size of one end of each replacement pole so that it fit into each metal pivot. I mixed up some epoxy, coated the ends of the poles, then forced them into the metal pivots and let them set. Finally, I pushed the other end of the poles up into their fabric sockets, oriented them correctly in the hubs, then placed the plates over the hubs and screwed the nuts on tightly.

The tent is now set up in the house drying, and seems to be working OK. There you have it. Altogether it took about an hour to fix. I'm going to buy a few more poles as I think I will be needing them and don't know if the supply will last.

Pete
See you up the trail.

Offline martenpine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2008, 10:38 AM »
Thanks for the report pete I appreciate it. I'll have to get some poles and fix mine.

Offline martenpine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2008, 02:13 AM »
Wife got me a trustworthy pole today but heck I splintered another today also, obviously she didn't think of gettin a couple . I think the setup is s@9# . Had higher hopes for the shanty but man it is junk.!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2008, 03:30 AM »
You were out in this weather! You are a fishin' fool, and I stand in awe.

I think the white poles will be stronger, but they are heavier. We should persuade Trustworthy to get a bunch and sell them to us in bulk, eh? Certainly we aren't the only ones having bad luck w/ these units...?ß

That was a beauty of a laker BTW. Is that a krokodile I see dangling from its mouth?
See you up the trail.

Offline travisj88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2008, 04:04 AM »
That was a beauty of a laker BTW. Is that a krokodile I see dangling from its mouth?
It looks like a swedish pimple to me.
Travis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2008, 11:21 AM »
It looks like a swedish pimple to me.
Travis

Yeah, but I couldn't find a pimple with that green inset. I did find  a Krokodile with it and with the little red dangly-flapper.

Marten.... I will find out!
See you up the trail.

Offline martenpine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2008, 02:20 PM »
yes it was a pimple. Cut some holes this morning but realized I didn't have my license after the shanty was set up any every thing. Decided I 'd better bag it as it is Sunday and I was sure the troopers would be out. Sure enough before I got to the highway I passed 1 going to the lake.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2008, 04:09 AM »
I have talked to them about my QF 6 and all they need is a pole length.
This is the information I needed. Thanks.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 03, 2008, 04:15 AM »
Wife got me a trustworthy pole today but heck I splintered another today also, obviously she didn't think of gettin a couple . I think the setup is s@9# . Had higher hopes for the shanty but man it is junk.!
I have the quickfish 3. The setup is tricky and takes practice. Broke my first pole yesterday. Have used this unit 30-40 times and I beat the heck out of it. I think the 35 mph winds bent an end on the rod and taking it down in the wind did the rest. Still like the product, light with plenty of room. 

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2008, 11:50 AM »
I'd really like to hear more about how exactly you guys set up and take down your tents - I'm wondering if I got a good unit when you got defective ones, or if it's just a matter of time till it breaks, or if I'm doing something different than you.

First of all I am gentle with my quickfish 3, always dry it after use, and always keep it in the bag any other times. I spray the hubs with silicone spray every few trips after I started to notice some rust forming on the bolt.

When I get on the ice I take it out of the bag and stand it up with the feet to the ice.

Then I let the poles flop out and I spread the tent so I can kneel on one side wall/skirt area

Then I grab the roof strap and pop the roof out (I kind of use my free hand to put a little down force on one pole away from where I am pulling up)

Then I lift the roof with one hand while standing on the skirt and pop that side wall out

Then I do the same thing to the remaining side walls - support the roof with one hand while stepping on the skirt with the other - pop out the hub

to take it down I have only the vents open and I simply walk around and "punch" in the wall hubs

Then I slowly push the roof down as the air exits the vents and at some point near the ground (the roof hub is still popped out at this point) the roof stops going down and it wants to twist a small amount. I just help that twist, then pop the hub in and fold the legs up. If it's 20 below or colder I take the windows out before take-down.

This may seem like a lot but it happens fast.

Like I said I'd really like to hear if you guys with broken poles are doing anything different?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 03, 2008, 01:59 PM »
These units are problematic. about the time I feel i've got the drill down on setting it up, it binds, and makes me think I'm going to break another pole... UGHHH!

I just take it really carefully and make sure nothing binds. But I know it's just a matter of time until I fix another pole. Chinese craftsmanship.

Martenpine- were you out on Hidden this weekend? I was there Saturday. Slow, but my buddy got 2. Hear the regs will go to one soon, which seems like a good idea. My buddy was telling me about a a 31 lb.er taken there sometime in the past.
See you up the trail.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2008, 03:51 PM »
I'd really like to hear more about how exactly you guys set up and take down your tents - I'm wondering if I got a good unit when you got defective ones, or if it's just a matter of time till it breaks, or if I'm doing something different than you.

First of all I am gentle with my quickfish 3, always dry it after use, and always keep it in the bag any other times. I spray the hubs with silicone spray every few trips after I started to notice some rust forming on the bolt.

When I get on the ice I take it out of the bag and stand it up with the feet to the ice.

Then I let the poles flop out and I spread the tent so I can kneel on one side wall/skirt area

Then I grab the roof strap and pop the roof out (I kind of use my free hand to put a little down force on one pole away from where I am pulling up)

Then I lift the roof with one hand while standing on the skirt and pop that side wall out

Then I do the same thing to the remaining side walls - support the roof with one hand while stepping on the skirt with the other - pop out the hub

to take it down I have only the vents open and I simply walk around and "punch" in the wall hubs

Then I slowly push the roof down as the air exits the vents and at some point near the ground (the roof hub is still popped out at this point) the roof stops going down and it wants to twist a small amount. I just help that twist, then pop the hub in and fold the legs up. If it's 20 below or colder I take the windows out before take-down.

This may seem like a lot but it happens fast.

Like I said I'd really like to hear if you guys with broken poles are doing anything different?
MAKE SURE THE DOOR ZIPPER IS OPEN when opening and closing it. Stand it up and let it fould out until you find the roof. Pull out the roof. Let go of the roof. If there is a heavy wind, find the rear corner and screw it down. Always have the rear corner facing the wind. No wind, open all the walls. If there is a heavy wind go to rear corner and grab the cord and hold it while putting in ice anchor. Attach cord to ice anchor. Go to other rear corner and pull it out while holding cord. Hold on to cord and put it other ice anchor. Then open the two front walls. Apply ice screws as needed. When opening a wall, always pull from the center, while holding the corner, as if you were pulling a bow. Works like a charm         

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 03, 2008, 04:06 PM »
Anyone know how to replace tension poles on Eskimo Quickfish shelters? I destroyed two yesterday up on Hidden.
Contact Ardisan at 1-800-345-6007. One graphite rod costs about $11. An entire hub is about $42 with all four rods. I just ordered a set. To replace one tension pole open the hub and it will expose all four rods. You must hold the hub up with all rods facing straight down. Slide the replacement rod straight down into the hub and align the pin with the slots in the hub. There is a bottom and a top to these things. You must rotate the rod so that the slight ridge on the metal end faces in the same direction as the others. Compare with the other hubs. This allow the unit to "lock in place".
To replace the entire hub, have the shelter in the set up position. Two people are necessary. Put the plastic tip of the four graphite rods into their respective sleeves, and find where the hub is to pass through to the material. Because there is only one bolt running through the hub, you will want a second, matching bolt, on hand. Remove the factory bolt and immediately insert your matching bolt to the inside of the hub unit to hold it together during the process. If you do not do this, all the graphite rods will fall out, and you will have to start over. Have the second person on the other side of the material and push the screw eye bolt, with washers, through the material and tighten the inside nut.   

Offline martenpine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 03, 2008, 08:58 PM »
Martenpine- were you out on Hidden this weekend? I was there Saturday. Slow, but my buddy got 2. Hear the regs will go to one soon, which seems like a good idea. My buddy was telling me about a a 31 lb.er taken there sometime in the past.

Came from the Skilak side on Sunday with trailer in  tow and the trailer was sliding sideways on some parts so I turned around and hung that up. Did you drive your truck out on the Ice? What was it like?

There seemed to be a convention of people out on Skilak Sun. I was watching with my Binos what was that all about? I'll go look tommorrow or the next.

I took apart the hub on the quickfish 2. I'll have some work to do drilling out the peg and glueing in the new rod I bought at trustworthy. Looks like it will be alot sturdier although I did crack another the other day

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 03, 2008, 11:02 PM »
Marten-
Hidden's ice is great. Nice and smooth, and still very thick. Sorry to hear about the pole.
Akjw7- I follow the same procedure as you do, and now I am twice as careful!

I like the unit, but wish I had gotten the 3... but isn't that always how it goes? ::)
See you up the trail.

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 03, 2008, 11:14 PM »
you said it - I wish I'd have bought the 6!

Offline AKFISHRIPPER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIFE=FISHING
« Reply #26 on: Mar 04, 2008, 04:07 AM »
I have the quickfish 6 and have had zero problems with it.....I've set it up many many times by myself with no problems, including in 40+ mph winds.  Definatly recomend it.....
U give a man a fish, u feed him for a day....I teach a man to fish.HE CATCHES ALL THE FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.