Author Topic: Heater woes continue...  (Read 851 times)

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
Heater woes continue...
« on: Mar 04, 2008, 01:56 AM »
Man this sucks!

The brand new dyna glo tag along let me down big time Saturday in the wind on harding. (I was in the shelter so wind wasn't the issue)

It took me an hour to get it lit for anything more than a couple minutes at a time...I would hold the pilot knob in for over a minute and it still wouldn't stay lit. I finally had to use a long lighter to keep the flame on and fired up the burner while holding the knob in...eventually the pilot light would stay on but then the heater would go out in a few minutes. Like I said I finally got it lit after about an hour of messing with it - it was a colder hour than I am used to in my quickfish III for sure!

Yesterday at home I got the dyna glo out and ran it on the bulk bottle and the 1lb bottle - even sitting in the house with everything at room temp I couldn't get the pilot to light...held it for a full two minutes and no go...busted thermocouple or something (I even put a torch lighter on it and it was hot for sure but kept going out)

I gave up and returned it to home depot and I'm just going to order the parts for my buddy heater. I changed the fuel filter and after an hour I couldn't get the pilot light to flicker like it was doing before. I still have a low heat output (compared to the brand new dyna glo and my buddy's brand new buddy heater) so I'm going to order the regulator, control valve, pilot assembly, and the burner. I'll start with the burner and see if that boosts my heat output up to normal - then I'll go part by part until it's brand new.

I thought about getting a new dyna glo - I do like it better than the buddy...but am feeling fed up!

No recommendations needed here, just venting! I don't want to have to carry two heaters and hope one will work!

Offline travisj88

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Heater woes continue...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2008, 02:32 AM »
I'm sorry to hear this.  I know how you feel.  Sometimes it feels like no matter what you do you just can't catch a break.  Pretty soon you won't be needing a heater until next winter.  Good luck on your next trip out on the ice.
Travis

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Heater woes continue...
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2008, 02:59 AM »
Yeah it does go that way sometimes...no biggie! I still fished all day and if I would have failed to get it going I could have fired up my MSR stove (I use it to whip up a nice hot lunch out on the ice) for a little heat now and then or jumped in the truck to warm up too. Guess a simpler solution would have been to throw on my bibs that were in the truck! It's funny how used to a certain comfort level you can get - fishing in jeans with my coat off and no hat or gloves in the quickfish 3 has really grown on me the last two seasons!

I do think I'll feel better about the buddy with a spare part for every component on hand...hopefully all I have to do to get the burner back to full output is change out the ceramic block...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.