Author Topic: favorite tipup  (Read 54332 times)

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re: favorite tipup
« Reply #30 on: Sep 14, 2004, 01:12 PM »
Heritage lakers are pretty sweet!!!  ;)2

I think so....I have 30 of them. ;D

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #31 on: Sep 14, 2004, 01:17 PM »
I have 20 lakers but as of last year all the new ones i see have plastic spools and i hate plastic spools.one friend bought a set and had trouble with 2 of them one i believe loosens up when line is taken and the other freezes for some reason.both were bought at ll bean and can be returned but still a pain in the a$$.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #32 on: Sep 14, 2004, 01:50 PM »
I have not heard much about the plastic spools. All mine are metal so I guess I'm lucky there.Maybe I should get a few extra just in case. ;)

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Sep 14, 2004, 03:16 PM »
I have not heard much about the plastic spools. All mine are metal so I guess I'm lucky there.Maybe I should get a few extra just in case. ;)
just like cider said if you see them buy them in fact if you see them ill buy them im looking for 5 more ;D

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #34 on: Sep 21, 2004, 07:31 AM »
Billditrite,
I did check the shop where I get my stuff for you and he did not have any.....Sorry. I'll keep my eyes open for you. I would think they would see a drop in sales with the new spools if they are indeed that bad. Maybe they will change them back to metal.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Sep 23, 2004, 10:20 PM »
Esox,
I too have the Heritage tip ups (10) and love them.  I called fish307 to order some spare parts for the upcoming season.  The salesman indicated that they would not be getting their shipment of this years parts until November.  He further suggested I take a look at the NorEaster tip up.  He claims they are just like the Heritage except with a better drag system (also $2.00 more per tip up).  In case your interested they can be viewed at http://www.fish307.com/fish/NoreasterTipUp.htm

Just my 2 cents! ;D
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #36 on: Oct 24, 2004, 09:35 AM »
I am hoping to try my first tip-up this year. I would like to learn and add to my arsenal. What is a good one to start with and how do you rig it. I would like to start off as easy as possible. Any info much appreciated :tipup:

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Oct 24, 2004, 10:55 AM »
Bill, for fishing around here(PA and MD), I go with the HT enterprises "polar" tip up. They come in 2 sizes, 200 ft. and 500ft. I have both types, but like the 500ft spool better for some reason. These can usually be bought for around $12 to $15. They can be set for a light activation or a heavy activation. Next time we're out on the ice together, I'll show you how they set up and some little tricks(Tip-ups 101). ;D Also, Bubblehead can't break the flag rods of these (well, i guess if he really tried he could)!
If we always had lots of snow on top, I would go with a bigger tip-up so you could see the flags easier in deep snow.
Ken                                          

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #38 on: Oct 24, 2004, 07:45 PM »
Thanks for the help bean. I will try to be a good understudy. We will try to instruct BH in the art of not kicking stuff down the hole along with catching fish. Sound like a plan???

Offline Poorboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Oct 30, 2004, 05:56 PM »
I have loved my Polars for 10 years, and until recently had no problems. In the real cold, one now fails to turn freely resulting in lost fish, but these 5 traps have seen maybe 50 to 60 outings.  Jack traps from LL Bean are very fine but hard to reset quickly with cold hands and are 30 bucks a pop.  Lakers are what I was switching to one at a time but have had trouble with losing the nut on the reel, causing the drag nut to spin down tight when a fish runs stopping the spool dead (I have the metal spools). I still plan to change to Heritage Lakers because they hold enough line for togue and are visible in deep snow and are easy to set.  The extensions have helped in deep snow with my Polars, but I had to cut some sticks to stand beside them or I don't know where to look for my traps from a distance, and I want them visible to snowmobiles. Blowing snow buries them, too.

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: Oct 30, 2004, 09:24 PM »
do the heritage lakers have a home page?
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #41 on: Oct 31, 2004, 05:37 AM »
Yea that is pretty darned good FM. It can't be that complicated and starting out with simple and cheap is best for me. I will get one of those HT polars WITH the 500ft capacity like Bean suggested. Thanks for all the help guys :tipup:

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Oct 31, 2004, 07:14 PM »
Red Eyes:

No web page for Heritage Laker tip ups.  However, Fish 307 has a picture and some information.
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline penna

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We Need Another Ice Age !
« Reply #43 on: Nov 05, 2004, 04:42 PM »
 beaver dams are great but i like polar tipups better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO 1
May the LORD BLESS and keep each of you safe on the ice.

Offline goneicefishin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • bring on the ice
« Reply #44 on: Nov 11, 2004, 08:20 PM »
by far heritage lakers!! they are inexpensive and made out of hardwood. you need to put on a couple of coats of oil polyurethane before you use them. l.l.beans has them for 17. bucks a piece not bad considering if anything ever goes wrong just bring em in and ya get new ones!!! got to love that seeing i live about 15 minutes from their main store in freeport
jared

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Nov 12, 2004, 04:28 AM »
goneicefishin are you going to the winter expo this weekend at beans??

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=14405.0

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
Re:favorite tipup
« Reply #46 on: Nov 17, 2004, 01:13 PM »
my fav tipup is one that is made of wood and has a smooth spool and can easily trip the flag

That is what I was planning to write, but I will add to your comment also that the flags need to fly high to be seen above deep snow. This is a must for me because I always kick the snow off down to bare ice before drilling my holes. I also like fluorescent orange and hot pink flag colors for best visibility when distant spreads are used.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #47 on: Nov 17, 2004, 05:36 PM »
I have 3 South Bend tip ups with the finished wooden plattform absoulutely love them especialy on windy days and I also have 2 Heritage lakers.. Never had problems with any of them...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Icefish4Life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Nov 18, 2004, 08:36 PM »
I really like my HT Polar Therms; I also like the HT/Frabill-style magnetic tip-ups, they're pretty easy to transport and their cylindrical shape allows quite a few to be placed in a small area.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Nov 23, 2004, 07:16 PM »
Polar HT's!!! :tipup:

blazen36

« Reply #50 on: Nov 26, 2004, 11:40 AM »
Love my Beaver Dams. Second choice would be polars. I get out on the ice on the average 90 times a year and have tried everything. Only ones I will not use are Frabill Thermals. Have had nothing but problems with them.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Dec 10, 2004, 09:09 AM »
Have fished Polars for years and found them to be extremely reliable, though high snow can be an issue. My favorite is the Windlass(also HT), though they have more limitations. If it is really gusty and the winds shifty, or just to darn cold they are not a good option. However when the conditions are favorable they can be deadly on large perch, crappies and bass.(and probably any other fish that is jiggable)

---ThinIce---

« Reply #52 on: Dec 17, 2004, 10:58 AM »
 ??? ???Where can you find these heritage laker's never seen them. ??? ???

Offline taz54868

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #53 on: Dec 17, 2004, 08:17 PM »
make mine a arttic   :tip up: i have a couple of the thermal tip ups but have a problem with the line wrapping around the top of the spool. holes don't freeze. but the line getting caught sucks >:(.

---ThinIce---

« Reply #54 on: Dec 18, 2004, 09:38 AM »
??? ???Where can you find these heritage laker's never seen them. ??? ???

Try here... Heritage Laker ...great company to deal with!
Thank you cider for the link I will have to pick one of these tipups and give it a try.Because it seems like allot of people are happy with them I currently fish Frabill and South Bend Classic hardwood platforms and I have never had any problems with them,but I am always to try something new.   
                                                                                   Thanks Cider :tipup:

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #55 on: Dec 18, 2004, 11:41 AM »

Paradice

« Reply #56 on: Dec 18, 2004, 02:49 PM »
I dont' think a single person mentioned the Frabil Pro-Thermal(the one that covers the entire hole).  My brother and I fished in below 0 weather all day long and we didn't have so much as a sliver of ice on those holes.  I won't use anything else, even if you gave them to me for free.   

Offline Icecycle Eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #57 on: Dec 19, 2004, 08:05 PM »
I use wooden tip-ups that i got in the mid fifties
they still work perfect easy flag springing and smooth reel action some of them the wood is warped a bit but they out perform any tip-up on the market today.Many fish caut over the years on these tip-ups wouldn't part with them ever
I Live To Fish

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #58 on: Dec 30, 2004, 09:19 AM »
I started using the jack trap last year. Thing is awesome. Price is not :-[. But it should last a lifetime. My old Mooseheads still do the trick.

Offline MikeF150

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Feb 01, 2005, 08:27 AM »
We got about 35  of the 31" cross-jack Jack Traps last spring when the season ended.... you can get a great deal if you're not fussy about flag color or wood color.... arguably one of the best tip-ups out there... like pieces of art !!  ;D   /http://www.jacktraps.com

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.