Author Topic: Slammer Tip-Up Kit Review ..  (Read 94086 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
Slammer Tip-Up Kit Review ..
« on: Jan 28, 2007, 05:23 PM »

I put together a slammer tip up kit a few weeks ago. The kit contained everything I needed except the wood. Handtools are all that's needed to build this kit but I had the luxury of power tools. Total build time would probably be 2-3 hours ..... I spent more modifying mine. Also Matt (Slamco) was very helpfull and if you have any questions you can e-mail him.
I've had my slammer on several outings and have caught lm bass, rainbow trout and perch. On each outing it has worked flawlessly and resulted in a lip hook almost every time. One thing I would caution is to check if they're legal where you fish.

Here's a link Slammer Kit  

I included some pics :

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
Re: Slammer Tip-Up Kit Review ..
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2007, 07:39 PM »
LoneWolf,

Why were modifications needed? What is the rod length you can use. Can you use rods from say 24" up to 5'? In your opinion is it better to buy the kit or ready to go? You say you caught trout on it too I see. So I can assume the spring action isn't so great it pulls the hook out of the fish.

Thanks,
Prairiegoat

Offline Iceline

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2007, 07:46 PM »
I made a slammer a few years ago. I used a five foot rod. Looked pretty weird fishing on the ice with a five foot rod. Used it on Lake Nipinsing and caught quite a few walleye on it... Pretty cool but I would rather use tip-ups on the ice...

Even eminent chartered accountants are known, in their capacity as fishermen, blissfully to ignore differences between seven and ten inches, half a pound and two pounds, three fish and a dozen fish.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2007, 09:28 PM »
LoneWolf,

Why were modifications needed? What is the rod length you can use. Can you use rods from say 24" up to 5'? In your opinion is it better to buy the kit or ready to go? You say you caught trout on it too I see. So I can assume the spring action isn't so great it pulls the hook out of the fish.

Thanks,
Prairiegoat

The modifications I had done were not needed but I chose to do them. One was appearance mods and the other functionality.
In the appearance mods I had made several. One was lightly staining with cherry polyurethane. Another was burning my avatar into the front of slam board (you might see it in the pic) ... my first attempt at wood burning. Another was I preffered the hindge in flat black so I painted it.
As for the functionality part that was personal preference. I use short rods and modified the dimensions of the slammer (I'm not the first to do this) to accomodate a 28" + rod. I also added a slam plate. I kept the swing base the same length which left it overhanging the front but rounded the corners for easier swinging.
The spring action is fine ... I can honestly say I only had one miss all the time using it.
It was fun building it, it was fun personalizing it and it's fun and satisfying catching fish with it.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2007, 05:30 AM »
I made a slammer a few years ago. I used a five foot rod. Looked pretty weird fishing on the ice with a five foot rod. Used it on Lake Nipinsing and caught quite a few walleye on it... Pretty cool but I would rather use tip-ups on the ice...

There's nothing wrong with tip-ups ....... the slammer is just another tool out on the ice. In the instructions there are plans to build a smaller version for a shorter rod. Also on the website there is a pic of a smaller version ... where I got my idea from.  :)

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2007, 02:19 PM »
I love the slammer.  I use a 5' Ugly Stick in mine.  I like setting it up for salmon, they tend to hit a bait then drop it quickly, the slammer puts an end to that it a hurry.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline BobD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2007, 02:53 PM »
I used these last year made from a kit. Started with 2 and then just bought parts at a hardware store and made more. These things are great. I now have 8 of them (fish with partner). I use a 5 ft. rod. They really work. 9 out of 10 hits or more are hookups. Much more fun with rod and reel than hand over hand with tipups. My tip ups are stored away and I will probably never get them out again.
 The negatives are: 1 they add some of weight to to your sled/shelter when pulling it out on the ice. 8 or 10 of these are bulky and weighty but well worth the effort when you see these babies pop up. 2. It ain't cheap buying quality wood and 8 or 10 full size rods/reels. I found some 5' ugly sticks with reels at walmart for $15.00 each thet work great.
 Try these rigs and you will see how much fun they can be as well as reliable hookups.

BobD

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2007, 04:36 PM »
I bought a couple of kits a few years back and have yet to catch anything with them because it is always to cold and I'm afraid of having the line freeze in the hole and not being set off when a fish hits.  Do you guys only use them when the temps are above or close to freezing?

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2007, 05:20 PM »

I've used mine in the twenties and also right at freezing. Supposedly the mono line will whick the water so as not to freeze. I just go over once in a while and give a quick skim with my hand to make sure the hole isn't anything more than skim ice.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2007, 06:34 PM »

I've recieved a few PM's asking what the logo was on the slammer. That's my pic/avatar that I tried to burn into the front of the slam board .... I'll include a close up.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2007, 07:39 PM »
thats some nice work there I am not sure if they are legal or how they count towards my legal amount of aparatus in NY. I would like to get some assuming they are legal to use

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:54 PM »
Marcus they are legal in NY. Just in case I went to the Slamco website and printed out the NY Fish/Game reply to it's legality. The rainbows I caught with it were on Trout Lake .. outside Lake George.
The burning came out rough .. my first try at it.

Here's the link to it being legal : Slammer Legal in NY

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2007, 09:00 PM »
thank you didnt dig that far I see it now I will definately try these out I will post a review when possible   these do seem right up my ally though

Offline Bartman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2007, 08:25 PM »
Doug,

Marbury just got his Slammer Kit prize and wants me to put it together tonight. :woot:  2 to 3 hours of work? Thanks a lot (LOL)

Actually thanks for real. Don't know how you get this stuff out so fast. You're the tourney master :bow:

As for the slammer kit, it's going to have to wait. I'm in the middle of refinishing the dining room table and Mrs. Bartman has the priority.

Looks like a fun project though,
Bart

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:51 PM »
Exactly what is the release mechanism, ie; when the fish bites, what releases the rod tip????   Cant see it in your photos.

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2007, 11:12 PM »
The release mechanism used on a Slammer Tip-Up is the Richie Ring Release developed by my fishing partner Richie.

LoneWolf - Glad to see that you're catching fish on your Mini-Slammer and thank you for the honest review.

akdg - I've INTENTIONALLY not cleaned my hole for quite a while (hmmm ... that doesn't sound too good) and had fish release with no problem even though the skim ice was over a half inch thick. It does make it a hair difficult fighting fish with an 8 inch diameter disc of ice on your line after your buddy spuds it free. A little mineral oil swished around in the hole helps to hinder freeze-up and makes the skim ice not so solid. I've also come up with a lightweight, folding, solar heated, hole cover designed specifically for use with Slammer Tip-Ups.

Why do most people use short rods for ice fishing?? Because, for the most part, they're sitting on a bucket fishing out of a hole (or holes) right in front of them. Slammer Tip-Ups generally sit outside on the ice and you fight the fish while standing up thus making a 5 foot long rod ideal. This also allows the use of lighter line while fishing for larger fish. Some of the better panfish ice-fishermen I know use 4-5 foot long rods - ideal for walking around from hole to hole and working an area.

For those thinking of trying to build copies of Slammer Tip-Ups - please consider the time, effort, and FRUSTRATION you will be getting yourself into - as well as taking the chance of breaking fishing poles. Building a Slammer Tip-Up from a kit takes a couple of hours at the most and you'll be DOING IT RIGHT. The kit comes with INSTRUCTIONS, ILLUSTRATIONS, BLUE-PRINTS, and SET-UP DIRECTIONS along with ALL of the necessary hardware needed, orange and chartreuse flags, and most important - the adjustable Slamco Rod-Holder DESIGNED for use in BELOW FREEZING TEMPERATURES. Using ANY type of tube-style rod-holder (whether it be plastic or metal) can give you MUCH GRIEF in below freezing temps. The specially designed Slamco Rod-Holder also helps to absorb torque applied by BIG FISH cranking on your rod.

Many of us know that TIME = MONEY. Would you rather spend a bunch of your time while trying to save a little money attempting to build something that may work OR spend a little money and a little time on something that DOES work and spend all of that extra time fishing??

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Offline Iceman4ever

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I LOVE ICE FISHING
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2007, 11:18 AM »
that is really cool

Offline lakertaker1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • lakertaker
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2007, 10:04 AM »
thas cool is it the only styl e
lakertaker

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2007, 01:16 PM »
thas cool is it the only styl e

What do you mean by only style ?

If you mean as far as modifying you can do what you want. I had built another for a friend of mine .. here's a pic:

Offline FrozenFingers

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Beaver Dam's Rule
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2007, 08:03 PM »
I just got one of these last week, tried it out the other day and had 3 flags and 3 hooked northerns, all hooked in the jaw. Its a riot seeing your rod jerking and drag peeling out. I am also using the 5 foot rod they sell. Cant wait to use it some more.
Rich

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 18, 2007, 08:55 PM »
Glad to hear that you've had good success with your Slammer Tip-Up FrozenFingers. You may have to change your name though since you're not hand-lining them in anymore and don't have to take the gloves off.

Sounds like you had hungrier northerns around you than I did today. 1 for 1 though - right side corner of the mouth too. The only pic I got was on my cam-phone of my buddy holding it as we slid it back into the hole soon after I plucked the hook out. It was COLD and windy today and I didn't want to keep the fish out of the water for too long. There was only one other fish caught anywhere around us and that one never set off the guy's frozen old-style stick tip-up. He went to pull it up and instead of the 4 inch shiner he'd had on, there was a 14 inch pike.

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 06, 2007, 08:19 AM »
Ordered a kit Friday afternoon, got it Monday...quickest shipping ever!!  Got a question for LoneWolf or Slammerman...

I want to build a mini-slam like LW's.  How long do you cut boards C and D to use with the shorter rod?  I also see you raised the hinge assembly up to clear the wing nut so the strike plate clears it...any other mods I should be aware of before I dive in?  I'm sure I could figure it out with the 'trial and error' method...but I want to use it this weekend!!

Thanks in advance...

Great idea slammerman...can't wait to use it!!

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 06, 2007, 09:40 AM »
Ordered a kit Friday afternoon, got it Monday...quickest shipping ever!!  Got a question for LoneWolf or Slammerman...

I want to build a mini-slam like LW's.  How long do you cut boards C and D to use with the shorter rod?  I also see you raised the hinge assembly up to clear the wing nut so the strike plate clears it...any other mods I should be aware of before I dive in?  I'm sure I could figure it out with the 'trial and error' method...but I want to use it this weekend!!

Thanks in advance...

Great idea slammerman...can't wait to use it!!

kenman - You're better off building the Kit "to print" and THEN cutting it down IF needed (see Set-Up and Illustration Sheet for that). It all depends on the rod that you are using - and not all rods will work properly either. It's usually a "too stiff" or "too limp" kind of thing.

Check your PM's too!!

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 06, 2007, 09:44 AM »
Thanks Slammerman, can't wait to cross some fish's eyes!!

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 06, 2007, 01:58 PM »
Kenman, an easy way to clear the wingnut without raising the strike plate is to take a paddle bit and drill out a hole just big enough to clear the wingnut.  I did it on mine and it works great.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 06, 2007, 02:07 PM »
That's a good idea Mike!  I was thinking about it over lunch...and I came up with putting the wing nut on the bottom and then putting 3 rubber 'feet' on it to give the wingnut clearance and raise the whole thing off the ice an inch or so.  Your idea is much easier...must be the french in me ;)

Someone needs to start a thread "Pimp my Slammer"  8)

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 06, 2007, 03:25 PM »
Kenman, an easy way to clear the wingnut without raising the strike plate is to take a paddle bit and drill out a hole just big enough to clear the wingnut.  I did it on mine and it works great.

But then you don't get the "Slam-spot" on the back of the arm letting others know how much of a veteran Slammer-fisherman you are.

I've seen the clearance hole done as well as the adding of "Slam-blocks" under the hinge and where the Slammer Arm falls as LoneWolf did with his. A small block on the back of the Slammer Arm at the top usually doesn't affect performance too much either and allows the Arm to fall without hitting the wingnut. I've had numerous inquiries over the years about this issue, but since the Arm falling onto the wingnut doesn't alter or affect performance - it's really a non-issue.

I've seen other people mount a small plate on the back of the Slammer Arm where it hit's the wing-nut for a little louder of a "clank" when the arm drops. I've mounted a pad to the back of the arm so the arm hits softly also - mainly to protect prototype electronic and electrical devices mounted on the Arm from the shock of hitting too hard.

I've tried various types of feet on Slammers also. One of my original prototypes has small cleats on the bottom protruding from the ends of the cross-piece and at the rear - they are more of a P.I.T.A. than helpful. Nice for keeping the Slammer from sliding around on slick ice, but they tend to snag just about everything during transport.

Varnishing, waxing, oiling or painting is also another personal preference. Mine are basically coated with "fish-slime".

Here's some "Pimp My Slammer" photos:

Slammer Stilts

Keep your Stick on the Ice Model

Ice Commando 2000 Model
Fires off 209 Primer, Color-coded (rod, rod-holder, Slammer Arm) - Strike Sensor Pager and Wig-Jigger also in use

Pro-Pack Model
Slammer Tip-Up w/ Hole Cover, Wig-Jigger and Upgrade Rod

LoneWolf Mini-Slammer
Custom Wood-burned logo and Slam-blocks

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 09, 2007, 08:50 AM »

I've been experimenting with the Frabill Arctic Siren mounted to my Slammer. So far I found the Siren to work pretty well. It's loud and triggers easily with the pull of the pin. The only flaws that I have found is the switch and the velcro. The switch is a little light .. it can be moved easily and accidently turned on during transport. I solved this with a rubber band covering the switch. The velcro's glue lasted about three trips and started to peel up. I went to a large hardware store and found indoor/outdoor Industrial Strength velcro. I cleaned the surfaces with alcohol, applied the strips and let it stand for 24 hours. So far it's been three trips and it's still holding. Here's a pic :

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 09, 2007, 09:28 AM »
Good idea LW!!  I am using the 209 primer idea.  Put a small 1/2 barrel in the forward slammer block (like LW's) and a firing pin in the slam board.  Well, tested it out last night...it went BOOM.  A 209 primer sounds much louder when not fired through a muzzleloader, LOL. Blew the firing pin out the back of the slam board and left gun powder residue everywhere...including the kitchen counter...wife is NOT HAPPY with me.  Kids thought it was the coolest thing ever.  Gotta reinforce the firing pin tonight and hopefully make it go boom on the lake tomorrow.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 09, 2007, 09:40 AM »

I was thinking of using Matt's idea of the primer but decided not to. I thought in the more densely populated area's a primer going off may have people calling the local law enforcement.  :unsure:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.