Author Topic: thermal tipups  (Read 1359 times)

fishguts.

thermal tipups
« on: Mar 11, 2004, 08:48 PM »
do these thermal tipups really not freeze up? ive been thinking of getting some for the really cold days and was wondering if they work and not freeze up.

Offline duketter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: thermal tipups
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2004, 07:20 AM »
I use them and they work great.  Only things you have to watch out for is 1. make sure the ice is level you set it on and 2. they say to put a little snow around the edge of the tip-up to help it "stay thermal"  (I don't do this and it still works for me)  Thermal tip-ups is all I use and my holes stay open.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2004, 10:25 PM »
I purchased the new Polar therm extremes this year and I am completely satisfied with them. 5 of them fit in a 5 gallon bucket and they do infact keep the hole open to a degree *. On super cold and windy days, lets face it, they freeze up. Not as bad as open hole rigs but they do freeze. They also have a tendency to get burried in snow on real windy days and could be lost in a drift!
Look back a bit for my post on "electrified tip ups" and see what I did with them.
Most important, if your auger is 10" then forget the Therm models because they are only 10.25 inches and have a hard time staying put in big holes.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline g3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • life is good!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2004, 03:36 AM »
i bought two this year just to see if they arre what they say they are.my buddy talked me out of one so i am gonna get a couple of more,that's how well they work!

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2004, 12:02 PM »
I've got the Frabills, and the flags are on the short side.  Can be difficult to spot at a distance or in snow.  The tackle box on the tip-up is a nice plus though.
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

fishguts.

« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2004, 02:47 PM »
ok thanks guys, im gonna get some i use a 8 inch hole so i should be good

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.