The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Cats through the ice...?  (Read 1062 times)

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cats through the ice...?
« on: Mar 11, 2021, 02:30 PM »
Do many people target catfish while ice fishing? Heard of a hand full being caught today and it had me wondering of they are worth targeting late ice... I know they are best to eat from now until they spawn, from what I hear.
Load it, Drive it, Park it
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it
Catch it, Clean it, Cook it
Simply put just get out/ and do it

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Cats through the ice...?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2021, 06:07 PM »
I guess that depends on how someone defines "worth targeting".  I can think of other species I'd prefer to target but thats me. 

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2021, 06:13 PM »
You can go to black bridge in st.albans bay and get bullpout from the shore.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2021, 07:26 PM »
I’ve seen them caught in gander bay pike fishing.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2021, 07:41 PM »
I catch them on the winter. Fish near deep water, at night, liver on the bottom. Usually do ok when I go for them. Personally I love catching big channel cats.

Offline Vtperchchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2021, 05:16 AM »
I’d love to catch some cats through the ice. Channel are great fun to catch. I’ve caught bull pout or bull head what ever people call them, through the ice and they are pretty damn good when filleted. Not sure where to fish to find channel cats. I have just started fishing Champlain a couple years ago when I moved to franklin from central vt. Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2021, 05:52 AM »
The guys I fish with got 3 while pike fishing southern Champlain. 24"-29" and it just looked like it would be fun. Good to know they bite at night also. Thank you
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it

Offline Skorpion

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2021, 07:28 AM »
When I was out in MN the past 5 yrs we use to target channel cats and do really well jigging for them at night. Small piece of chicken liver or cut sucker (real small) on a glow forage minnow. Look for inside turns and they are often suspended. The bite is most often insanely light, then it’s like setting the hook on a cinder block. Awesome fight! Would love to find a place to target them here. Apparently there are some spots on the CT river in VT/MA where it can be done. Have to give it a go next ice season maybe. 26-29” are some nice Cats, maybe I should be looking to the West....

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2021, 07:48 AM »
I was shocked to see it and will for sure be trying some cut bait. Nothing like figuring out a new species. Anyone here use lipless crank baits from thier bass gear on ice? Im going to give that a go knowimg cats have great hearing and lat line sensitivity
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2021, 08:12 AM »
Dunmore has some nice cats. I got 5 or 6 one afternoon this summer. Skorpion isn't kidding when he says they are like a cinderblock and you don't even feel a bite. Really fun, hard fighting fish! I had intended to try to ice fish for them this year, but doesn't look like it will be happening.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.