The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Late Ice Ice Fishin  (Read 835 times)

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
Late Ice Ice Fishin
« on: Mar 03, 2007, 09:09 PM »
Well me and my old man just got back from Merkle Lake. Caught 2 pike, one on a tip-up and one on hook and line and 4 nice crappie. My dad lost a MONSTER CRAPPIE!!! (I told him it was at least 20 inches!! ;D ;D) No, he did bring up a nice crappie right to the top of the hole though. Too bad he didn't have cat like reflexes like his son to scoop that big spec up! Pretty sad when the 51 year old man had to drill all the holes b/c his 24 year old son blew out his back. MAN! I am hurtin' but it was worth the hike. A little back problems ain't gonna stop me from doing the things I enjoy the most! Glad I got out, even though I am paying for it now!
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
Re: Late Ice Ice Fishin
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2007, 09:17 PM »
BTW, Also watched two snow geese drop down and land about 100 yards from us. Once they landed, I decided to walk towards them for a closer view. The geese must have known my back was messed up b/c they allowed me to get within twenty yards of them. Pretty cool though. Never seen a snow up close like that. Also, Ice conditions were great. Still 10 inches to 1 foot of good ice. Ride it out till it's gone!!!
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline fishinboy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Late Ice Ice Fishin
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2007, 10:14 PM »
Nice job on catching the pike and crappie.  I don't think that I've ever seen a snow goose before.  Went out this morning for a little while, got a late start though..didn't get out until nine or so.  Managed about ten gills...also had a tipup out but no hits on that.  how deep were the crappie holding and what did you catch them on bait wise?  I haven't caught any crappie this year, but I haven't really been targeting them either...just gills and perch mostly. sorry to hear about your back, but nice job on getting out anyway.  tight lines.
-Ryan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.