The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: what brand of hand ice auger ??  (Read 3301 times)

Offline cltaylor

• IceShanty Rookie
what brand of hand ice auger ??
« on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:21 AM »
whats a good ice auger to buy? i got a strickmaster mora 6" that work good last year, but wont cut worth a sh!!t i,ve sharping the blades, but still no go i think its out of alingment or sum thing, any insight on the eskimo 6" BARRACUDA TURBO  seen its on sale at gander mt for 39.00 bucks! 10.00 more then a new mora!!

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: what brand of hand ice auger ??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:36 AM »
I got the eskimo barracuda 10 inch power, got it about 4 years ago thing works great.

Offline Boots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2007, 12:10 PM »
I have the 6 inch Lazer, thing works great.

Offline Shakespeare

• IceShanty Rookie
  • To fish, or not to fish...
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2007, 02:17 PM »
Sure you put the blades on right?

Might have sharpened them on a wrong angle.

New blades are cheaper than a new auger.

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2007, 02:19 PM »
I have an 8 inch Lazer, raced 3 gas augers, I'm 3-0  ;D, but I'm not a small guy either
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

pinche

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2007, 03:51 PM »
yeah buy two sets of blades. Most local bait shops will sharpen them at a reasonable price . When one set gets dull just switch em out and send the dull pair in to be sharpened.

walleyechaser

« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2007, 03:57 PM »
those blades are very easy to screw up if you try to sharpen them yourself and don't know what you're doing.
2 sets is a great idea.

Offline mineral723

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If there's ice, I'm at the Banana Dyke.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2007, 05:53 PM »
6" lazer.  I love it.  Beats the spud bar.

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2007, 06:44 PM »
those blades are very easy to screw up if you try to sharpen them yourself and don't know what you're doing.
2 sets is a great idea.

THANKS...no longer than 30 minutes ago i bought an auger blade sharpener...lol gonna take me a half hour to drill holes tomorrow...

Offline cltaylor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:28 PM »
thats what i;ll do is get 2 sets blades an try them an see, i know i go;um on right its like it sits there spins it take like 15 mins or so to cut thew 4" of ice!!! :'( well thanks guys for the info; go get them slabs an hagws an keep drilling ooon!!!

Offline gunner_21

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:43 PM »
I have the eskimo barracuda works great but replacement blades are expensive.  If I had to buy a new one I would make sure I bought an auger that had straight blades because you can sharpen them or take them in to be sharpened.  They can't sharpen blades aren't straight what I mean by straight is when you lay the blade on the table it lays flat. If you do decide to buy the other blades make sure you only sharpen the beveled edge and leave the burs on the other side.  The ice will wear the burs out.  If you do try and sharpen non beveled side you might as well throw them away almost impossible to keep that edge flat with out rounding it just slightly. 

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2007, 06:39 AM »
Those blades are tough to sharpen...curved or straight. I bought a sharpening system that has a clamp to hold the blade. Of course....when I got it home I found that I have curved blades. So now I have a sharpener for the curved blades and it works very well. It kind of looks like a mini ceramic sharpener for knives but in a handle so you don't slice your hand open.
FTD

Offline cltaylor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2007, 08:06 AM »
that what i used was one of those ceramic sharpener  got as sharp as my kershaw!! i gess i;ll have buy new blades

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:21 AM »
I have Lazers in 4", 5", and 6" for good reason!

8)

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:55 AM »
Have a 4" Mora and a 5" and a 8" Lazer all cut well. Have had the Mora for many years, no need to change blades, yet, although I've barely used it for the past 3 yrs since I purchased the 5" Lazer. The 8" is a little more work but goes through the ice fine. Just wouldn't want to use it on 12"+ ice that's time for the power auger.

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2007, 02:02 PM »
took us dang near 15 minutes to drill through 7" of ice today....boy am itired and all that work and no fish...wel one half A$$ fish....

Offline MIeyes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish'en ain't a past time, it's a passion!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2007, 08:01 PM »
would you like to cut ice with a hand auger like dipping a spoon into a bowl of tomato soup?  Not too many augers I haven't tried over the years but the Nils Master beats them all.  I have a power jiffey and rarely use it cuase I can cut 3 4inch X 6inch holes faster with my Nils, and not work up a sweat.  I can't even sell the old and odd things I have at yard sales.  Except for big pike, lake trout, big brown or walleye, everything goes throough the 4" whole.  Need a bigger hole? http:// cut a triangle of 3 holes close together, spud the dif.  Been doing it for long time.  Like any good auger, it stays sharp and cust hard ice best.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2007, 08:20 PM »
Have a 6" Barracuda, much better than my old Mora ever was.

Offline cltaylor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2007, 07:15 AM »
would you like to cut ice with a hand auger like dipping a spoon into a bowl of tomato soup?  Not too many augers I haven't tried over the years but the Nils Master beats them all.  I have a power jiffey and rarely use it cuase I can cut 3 4inch X 6inch holes faster with my Nils, and not work up a sweat.  I can't even sell the old and odd things I have at yard sales.  Except for big pike, lake trout, big brown or walleye, everything goes throough the 4" whole.  Need a bigger hole? http:// cut a triangle of 3 holes close together, spud the dif.  Been doing it for long time.  Like any good auger, it stays sharp and cust hard ice best.
where can you buy them ones at?

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2007, 07:57 AM »
I believe one of our sponsors sells them...they are:

http://www.fish307.com/
Always worth checking them first. There are some good deals for Shanty members.
FTD

Offline cltaylor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2007, 08:01 AM »
thanks for the link

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.