The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: GULL LAKE  (Read 47460 times)

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: GULL LAKE
« Reply #60 on: Jan 18, 2016, 06:43 PM »
The North End is still wide open.
I will be checking 2nd. bay on Tues after work. It was open last Tues., locked up on Thurs., w/ the cold weather, hoping for a good report. Waiting to hear from my son, about the north end.
Rippin lips one at a time.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Jan 18, 2016, 06:57 PM »
Finally the ice gods are coming through. I was wondering for a while if they had it out for the ole Smeltbuster ;D
Its the  curse of the "IceGator"! I should have not bought it !  Same thing happened several years ago , when I got a big snow blower for my tractor,..... No Snow !  No ice report for the north end tonight, my son is too busy w/ other stuff (hopefully our 2nd. daughter-in Law).  Just wanted to let everyone know, that I am hoping to have some of "Lookinfopike's " smelt flies for sale, this year, out on the ice. Right now, his flies are available at Smittys in Battle Creek, & on line.  3 for 5 bucks. I will  have a few packs w/ me, on the ice . Kevin ties some really nice looking flies, that hold up well to these toothy little critters. I am partial to the "Smeltbuster" pattern, but all of them work, quite well ! They are size #14 & #16. I prefer the 16s.  Hoping I can maybe drag him out there one night just so everyone can meet this guy. The stories/ memories, he can tell about Gull are awesome ! He's younger than me, but about as close as we get, to one of the "oldtimers" !
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Jan 18, 2016, 06:58 PM »
The North End is still wide open.
Thanks  for the update .
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Average-Joe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Jan 18, 2016, 07:49 PM »
smeltbuster what does your shanty/set up look like so I can look for you out on the ice this year and maybe buy a few flies?

Offline theripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 18, 2016, 09:50 PM »
Smeltbuster I bought some of those smelt flies last year from lookinforpike those work awsome! Can't wait to get back down for some smelt....thanks for the reports!

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #65 on: Jan 19, 2016, 07:06 AM »
Got out Sunday on the bay. 10 gills in 2.5-3 hours. Bite was NOT hot. Neither was I. Pretty darn cold.  3 inches of hard ice.  2nd bay was different ice, did not make it out there. I'd say by now its gotta be 2.5-3 on 2nd bay. But just a guess! Tight lines everyone!
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline Able2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 19, 2016, 11:39 AM »
Saw a shanty on second bay last nite. I wonder how that ice is out there. Crappie fishing was slow. If the trash can isn't empty tonite I will take care of it.  Moe.

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Jan 19, 2016, 11:43 AM »
As far as i can see the North End locked up last night has a little snow on it but wont be long now.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Jan 19, 2016, 04:12 PM »
The lake is pretty much Locked up  :). 2nd. bay does have some tracks out on it, & they veer to the south a bit. I checked a hole just a few yards from the dock, about 1 1/2" of clear ice, but, my spud went through, w/ 1 wack  :(. Should be a lot safer in a couple of days. I will keep checking it, as I am hoping to fish Thurs., or Fri. night. Stopped at Baseline rd. & checked the lake, its gonna be at least another week before its safe.  Its great to see some familiar names on here again. Hi Ripper !  Average-Joe, My shanty is a Clam- Jason Mitchell 5000. Gray & black. Not too many of them around here, so its easy to spot. If any of you venture out on 2nd. bay, PLEASE be careful . Last Tues., that was open water! More ice reports to come & I will also try to get some info about Bible Conf. parking, unless someone beats me to it .  Steve ?? Tight lines, Be safe  ;)

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #69 on: Jan 20, 2016, 07:37 AM »
Locked up Monday night. Have not been there to check ;) won't be to long. But you know I'm dying to get out there... Mwhahahagagaga
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 20, 2016, 09:48 AM »
Yo...SmeltBuster,  myself and Ripper are debating a trip down to 2nd bay Thur night (tomorrow)...thumbs up or down?  Would sure like 3 to 4" of ice so I can relax and fish and not worry about every crack sound I hear.
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 20, 2016, 11:18 AM »
I highly doubt there will be 4 inches of ice by tomorrow.  Maybe 3.

Offline Sir ION

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Jan 20, 2016, 01:50 PM »
Any sport/bait shops nearby of Gull Lake.  Thinking about going this Saturday or Sunday.  I'm from Spring Lake, so a little bit of a drive.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Jan 20, 2016, 02:27 PM »
Any sport/bait shops nearby of Gull Lake.  Thinking about going this Saturday or Sunday.  I'm from Spring Lake, so a little bit of a drive.
There are no bait shops close to Gull. Most of the party stores around the lake sell limited types of bait. Your best bet is to bring it w/ you. As for fishing info, this is the best place for that  ;). There are a few guys up your way, that are on here, & fish Gull,  that might be willing to help you find out where to go. Parking is the biggest problem w/ 2nd. bay. If it stays cold, the north half of the lake will be fishable in a week or 2, & then parking is usually available at the north end. $5.00 . Right now, it looks like I wont be fishing Thurs. night, due to a meeting that I have to attend. Still trying to figure it out & just go out a bit later. As for the ice conditions, I have to agree w/ Hermin ! I will be checking 2nd. bay when I get out of work, hopefully around noon, & will post what I find.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Jan 20, 2016, 02:29 PM »
"Beats sittin at the house"  ,   PM sent !

Offline ruttinbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Jan 20, 2016, 08:14 PM »
is there a link for the smeltbusters thanks

Offline Zktaylor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 PM »
Anybody gonna venture out on saturday? I think me and a buddy are gonna head up there and try the second bay. We'll be in a 2 man clam flip over.

Offline Average-Joe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Jan 20, 2016, 10:59 PM »
I'll be out. There could be a pretty good crowd. Some facebook pages are showing good reports and people are itching to get out so it'll likely be pretty busy

Offline lookinfopike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 20, 2016, 11:38 PM »
is there a link for the smeltbusters thanks

PM sent
http://www.gulllakecam.com/

Home of the "Gull Lake Smelt Factory Ice Flies"

Offline Sir ION

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Jan 21, 2016, 08:05 AM »
Thanks for the information on the bait.  If I make it down there, it will be my first time.  I hear 1st bay, 2nd bay.....which bay is the one that the camera is on, and hearing that parking might be an issue, if I fish the bay with the camera, where do you suggest to park?  I will make sure to get there plenty early enough, just hoping someone who knows the area to let me know.  Thanks!!!

Offline Kziceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 21, 2016, 08:16 AM »
The first bay and camera are at the South end of the Lake....you will see guys out there.

If you walk North on the ice the lake narrows just a bit and then widens...now you are in the 2nd bay. From the look of things there will be guys out there too. The 2nd bay is deeper....60 ft in spots.

There is a party store at the South end. In the past they have allowed parking at one end of their lot...away from the store. There are not to many places to park in this lot...it fills up on weekends. There is also parking by the camera...Boris Reality sign about 200 yards further.

There is also a restaurant up the (small) hill from the party store with a big parking lot. I don't know their status, open or closed, but I have parked up there in years past.

See you on the ice!

My bait always catches fish...or dies trying.

Offline lookinfopike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 21, 2016, 09:30 AM »
The first bay and camera are at the South end of the Lake....you will see guys out there.

If you walk North on the ice the lake narrows just a bit and then widens...now you are in the 2nd bay. From the look of things there will be guys out there too. The 2nd bay is deeper....60 ft in spots.

There is a party store at the South end. In the past they have allowed parking at one end of their lot...away from the store. There are not to many places to park in this lot...it fills up on weekends. There is also parking by the camera...Boris Reality sign about 200 yards further.

There is also a restaurant up the (small) hill from the party store with a big parking lot. I don't know their status, open or closed, but I have parked up there in years past.

See you on the ice!

There is "NO PARKING" at BORIS Realtor. Who ever told you that you could park there was mistaken. There dock is also chained up so there is NO ACCESS from there. This is what makes the locals pissed off, when people just park where they "THINK" is OK.
http://www.gulllakecam.com/

Home of the "Gull Lake Smelt Factory Ice Flies"

Offline lookinfotrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Jan 21, 2016, 10:51 AM »
There is "NO PARKING" at BORIS Realtor. Who ever told you that you could park there was mistaken. There dock is also chained up so there is NO ACCESS from there. This is what makes the locals pissed off, when people just park where they "THINK" is OK.

Pike is Right - There is No Parking at or around Boris Realtors office for fisherman!  They are nice enough to pay for and host a bay webcam for all to use, why would anybody say it is OK to trespass/park illegally on their property   ???

Also the Restaurant up  on the hill is open for business as the "Dock"  They are quite busy and their parking lot is for their customers...Don't think they'll be happy to see a bunch of fisherman parking in their lot taking parking away from their customers...

Sounds like some good ways to get towed

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Jan 21, 2016, 11:54 AM »
Wont be long and the locals will be mad and there will be no access to the lake. PLEASE PEOPLE DO NOT PARK WHERE YOU WANT TO. My advice is if you are smelt fishing come early like couple hours prior to dark. OH and take your trash with you. Nothing like babysitting a grown adult. Good luck and tight lines.

Offline Sir ION

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Jan 21, 2016, 12:41 PM »
Ok, so now that you have told me where I can't park, where can a person park that wants to fish Gull Lake?  I don't care if I have to pay.  I'm assuming you folks aren't flying onto the lake? 

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Jan 21, 2016, 01:35 PM »
As it was mentioned, you can park across the street from the party store at the south end. They have a FEW designated spots for fishermen. As for 2nd. bay; You can park at the "Salon" that is located on the west side of the bay. It is a large blue building. The parking is actually across the street from the salon. Russ, the owner, is very generous in allowing us to use his property, Please respect this place & be quiet ! There is a small 1 room building that you have to walk by, to get on / off the lake, someone lives there, so BE QUIET ! Quite honestly, if I lived there, I would try to shut down the access, due to guys making noise at 2:00 a.m. (Get my point?). As for the ice, I was on 2nd. bay at 1:15 p.m., there is anywhere from 1 1/2" - 3" of clear ice. I'm pushing 200 lbs. & it did not crack at all. Also, there have been guys out there fishing, since I checked it on Tues., Quite a few actually. I also talked to a guy that was out there fishing. He had a few dink perch (common for out there) & about 10 smelt ! Said he had been there for an hour or so. I sure would like to see thicker ice. Don't know if I will be out tonight, if I do show up, it will be around 8:30 p.m., I will be out Friday night, & I will also have some of "Lookinfopike"'s smelt flies. He's getting 5 bucks for a 3 pack.  (please have correct change, I'm not a store)!  & yes, now that the lake is locked up, my son & me will be checking ice conditions on the rest of the lake. I will also try & see if "The Dock" will allow parking for fishermen, on the south end & I will try & check on the bible conf. area parking in the next day or so .  Sorry for the long post, just tryin to get info out there. 

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Jan 21, 2016, 01:44 PM »
As far as parking goes in front of the party store lake side there is maybe 5-8 spots and that's not including the Gull lake marina. Do not park at marina during business hours. After hours it is usually filled up. The Hair salon also has parking not sure how much because i do not fish their. Not sure on parking at the Bible Conference. You can also access off Base line road free parking long walk. And you also have Praieville park on the North end. Think it's $7 bring exact cash as there is no attendant. It also accepts visa card but would have cash available.

OK, so now that you have told me where I can't park, where can a person park that wants to fish Gull Lake?  I don't care if I have to pay.  I'm assuming you folks aren't flying onto the lake?

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Jan 21, 2016, 01:48 PM »
As far as parking goes in front of the party store lake side there is maybe 5-8 spots and that's not including the Gull lake marina. Do not park at marina during business hours. After hours it is usually filled up. The Hair salon also has parking not sure how much because i do not fish their. Not sure on parking at the Bible Conference. You can also access off Base line road free parking long walk. And you also have Praieville park on the North end. Think it's $7 bring exact cash as there is no attendant. It also accepts visa card but would have cash available.

Thanks Stabincabin (I wont use your real name, witness protection program )  ;D . I forgot to mention all the other places on the north 1/2 of the lake. Figured that will come up in a week or 2 !

Offline tightlinedan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Jan 22, 2016, 08:00 AM »
Great. Night last. Night my friend Nick an I. caught 150 smelt before 8 pm most caught before dark. slowed. downed after dark 3 inches of OK ice

Offline nws6373

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Jan 22, 2016, 08:15 AM »
What tightline didn't post was that he successfully battled a keeper pike on 2# test and brought it to the hole 3 different times. But the Sphincter muscle he was fishing with was finally successful in getting his top hook caught on his shirt sleeve so the Pike could break the line and steal his Hali.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.