The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Zippo Hand Warmers  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Tipup Master

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad start to the day!
Zippo Hand Warmers
« on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:02 PM »
Before I threw them out, I made another attempt at getting my zippo handwarmers to work.  I filled them carefully and then but a lighter on them for about 30 seconds.  I let them sit for about 5 minutes before I put them in the bags.  I put them on a dish in the kitchen and checked them from time-to-time.  One burned for 7 and 1/2 hours and the other went 9 hours.  One of them was much warmer then the other one.  The one that was warmer was very warm to hold outside the bag and felt pretty toasty inside the bag.  I guess they work but don't get as warm as I expected.

Offline Jim_MI

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Zippo Hand Warmers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2014, 10:28 PM »
I think you can buy replacement burners for these when they stop working.  The catalytic burners on the Zippo's don't seem to last as long as some other brands, but at least you can easily find parts when they go bad.  See http://www.amazon.com/Zippo-Outdoor-Handwarmer-Replacement-Burner/dp/B003D038PI

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:42 AM »

mite be having a problem lighting them because there is a gap between the wick and the burner that white cotton stuff is the wick this is ware you may have the gap mite have to pick it out a tad so it reaches the burner the burner is that little metal piece with the mesh screen in it. the reason you may have to pick it out is it gets matted down wile filling it with the lined fill cup i matted mine down and had to pic it back out just a tip so try it see if it lights easier out side in the wind... 

Offline squirrel-master

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:30 AM »
So zippo hand warmers are not such a good idea? I got a large pack of disposable ones for hunting this year and it seemed like only half of them actually worked which really left me hanging out in the cold a few times. Keep throwing around the idea of a zippo or one of those electric rechargeable ones but they're so damn expensive.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:18 AM »
So zippo hand warmers are not such a good idea? I got a large pack of disposable ones for hunting this year and it seemed like only half of them actually worked which really left me hanging out in the cold a few times. Keep throwing around the idea of a zippo or one of those electric rechargeable ones but they're so damn expensive.

i find if you "kneed" the chemicals with your finger tips to break any chunks down better, it helps get them warmer.
they need air too
i have never had one fail

fluid warmers are just not as simple.
you might not need a warmer and then find out you do later while your on ice and trying to decide if your fingers are getting too cold. then its sorta too late to get one going and/or a hassle if theres wind. they do get super hot and can burn skin and fabric. they have melted a pair of my gloves when trying to start on in an empty bucket and having to pick it up to get the top on. good thing i had gloves on is all i can say about that day!
i quit using them since then, and have several brands and sizes. three in all. if i knew i needed a lot of heat for a long time, thats what i would use for sure.

a heated shack takes care of the warmers too, but the chemical warmers are just easy to have and use.

Offline squirrel-master

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2014, 12:01 PM »
id put the chemical ones in my hunting muff so maybe they weren't getting enough air I guess

Offline Jim_MI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2014, 03:33 PM »
mite be having a problem lighting them because there is a gap between the wick and the burner
There is supposed to be a gap there!  If the liquid lighter fluid gets on the catalyst located in the burner, it will damage the catalyst and then you will start having all the "not very hot anymore" and "won't burn very long" complaints that people post about.  Ideally, the warmth of the burner and removable cover is transferred to the lower resevoir by convection.  The warmed fuel evaporates, mixing fuel vapors with air which then pass over the catalyst in the burner where it is oxidized without a flame.  The heat is regulated by the amount of air you permit into the burner chamber and the rate of fuel evaporation from below.  That is why the felt bag is necessary in most cases - it limits oxygen in while insulating the lower fuel chamber from the cold, thereby permitting continued fuel evaporation at a comfortably warm (not hot) temp.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2014, 03:53 PM »
There is supposed to be a gap there!  If the liquid lighter fluid gets on the catalyst located in the burner, it will damage the catalyst and then you will start having all the "not very hot anymore" and "won't burn very long" complaints that people post about.  Ideally, the warmth of the burner and removable cover is transferred to the lower resevoir by convection.  The warmed fuel evaporates, mixing fuel vapors with air which then pass over the catalyst in the burner where it is oxidized without a flame.  The heat is regulated by the amount of air you permit into the burner chamber and the rate of fuel evaporation from below.  That is why the felt bag is necessary in most cases - it limits oxygen in while insulating the lower fuel chamber from the cold, thereby permitting continued fuel evaporation at a comfortably warm (not hot) temp.

that's funny mine did not light at all till i picked out the white wick a tad now it light every time ...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.