The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Need a good website for Barometric pressure trends  (Read 35956 times)

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
Need a good website for Barometric pressure trends
« on: Jan 27, 2010, 04:53 PM »
Seems like many of the "weather" website arent even including barometric pressures anymore and when they do they do not include the trend (rise/fall/steady). Anyone have any sites that they check that includes that info? Justweather.com includes pressure but I have never seen it include the trend. NOAA is too hard to navigate for a quick check etc.

Thanks
J-

Offline specialK

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Need a good website for Barometric pressure trends
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2010, 01:18 PM »
weathertohunt.com  :thumbsup:

Offline engineeredtofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2010, 05:16 PM »
Wow, crazy you should ask that...I just logged on to pose the question of what guys thought of pressure trends and fishing. High Pressure = Low Bite Count?? Or vice-versa? In my opinion, when a nasty storm front seems to be moving in, getting on the ice before it hits works best.
Regarding your question of pressures, www.weather.com does show an up or down arrow in the details section of the "Right Now" weather. Additionally, this website http://www.usairnet.com/weather/maps/current/barometric-pressure/ gives you a nationwide look at the pressure. Follow the wind and weather trends and you should have a good idea of what pressure is headed your way.
Let me know your thoughts on how it affects fishing.

Thanks - Nick

Offline jhookj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2010, 06:57 PM »
Wow, crazy you should ask that...I just logged on to pose the question of what guys thought of pressure trends and fishing. High Pressure = Low Bite Count?? Or vice-versa? In my opinion, when a nasty storm front seems to be moving in, getting on the ice before it hits works best.
Regarding your question of pressures, www.weather.com does show an up or down arrow in the details section of the "Right Now" weather. Additionally, this website http://www.usairnet.com/weather/maps/current/barometric-pressure/ gives you a nationwide look at the pressure. Follow the wind and weather trends and you should have a good idea of what pressure is headed your way.

Thanks - Nick
I've been wondering this myself.  I consistantly hear that when the pressure drops below 29 is a good time to be out.  I am not entirely sure on the validity, maybe some of these other guys can confirm...

Offline John Q. Public

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline TheFishWisperer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:11 PM »
I use www.weatherunderground .com Use the weather data option and near the bottom of the screen it gives you a graph updated every hour or so.
There is an unexplained malady buried deep in Angler's Souls; the urge to fish. It is a damned terminal disease for which there is no cure, only lots of treatment!
~Author Unknown

Offline specialK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:47 PM »
If you want to see trend in the barometer go to weathertohunt.com and click on fishing link.   ;D  That's Right!!!!!!!

Offline firefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2010, 09:07 PM »
I use weatherunderground it has trends.  They also have a past weather feature, this is great for me because I keep a journal, so I can go back after a weekend outing and input barometer, wind direct., temp,etc.

Offline snowmold

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2010, 10:14 PM »
If you want to see trend in the barometer go to weathertohunt.com and click on fishing link.   ;D  That's Right!!!!!!!

i dont see a fishing link on the weathertohunt site

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2010, 10:40 AM »
Cool thanks guys.

I find that when pressure is high or rising that the bite tends to drop off, when it is low or falling I do much better. Just trying to maximize my fishing time and cut down on un-productive hour drives to LSC for little to no fish.

J-

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2010, 10:46 AM »

me neither

J-

Offline specialK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2010, 01:27 PM »

After you get signed on it will show up to the right.  You can also keep both hunting and fishing journals with this site.

K

Offline woody350ep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2010, 02:40 PM »
I use

http://www.weather.gov/

Input your zip on the upper left.  When it loads you will see CURRENT CONDITIONS.  On the bottom right of that section you will see 3 DAY HISTORY.

That will give you 3 days of pretty much what you need

HTH

Offline catfishingfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2010, 02:58 PM »
I've been wondering this myself.  I consistantly hear that when the pressure drops below 29 is a good time to be out.  I am not entirely sure on the validity, maybe some of these other guys can confirm...

Some general rules regarding barometric pressure are:

High Pressure
    Typical Weather: Clear skies
    Fishing Trends: Fish slow down, find cover or go to deeper waters.
    Suggested Tactics: Slow down lures and use baits more attractive to fish. Fish in cover and in deeper waters.

Rising Pressure
    Typical Weather: Clearing or improving
    Fishing Trends: Fish tend to become slightly more active
    Suggested Tactics: Fish with brighter lures and near cover. Also fish at intermediate and deeper depths.

Normal and Stable Pressure
    Typical Weather: Fair
    Fishing Trends: Typical Weather: Normal fishing
    Suggested Tactics: Experiment with your favorite baits and lures.

Falling Pressure
    Typical Weather: Degrading
    Fishing Trends: Most active fishing
    Suggested Tactics: Speed up lures. Surface and shallow running lures may work well.

Slightly Lower Pressure
    Typical Weather: Usually cloudy
    Fishing Trends: Many fish will head away from cover and seek shallower waters. Some fish will become more aggressive.
    Suggested Tactics: Use shallow running lures at a moderate speed.

Low Pressure
    Typical Weather: Rainy and stormy
    Fishing Trends: Fish will tend to become less active the longer this period remains.
    Suggested Tactics: As the action subsides, try fishing at deeper depths.

Offline jhookj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2010, 03:56 PM »
Some general rules regarding barometric pressure are:

High Pressure
    Typical Weather: Clear skies
    Fishing Trends: Fish slow down, find cover or go to deeper waters.
    Suggested Tactics: Slow down lures and use baits more attractive to fish. Fish in cover and in deeper waters...

Thanks catfish.  This tends to be consistant with what I've heard from others.

Offline engineeredtofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2010, 07:21 PM »
Appreciate all the feedback guys. From what I seen this weekend with the high pressure and clear skies, it is pretty much a good example of everything noted above. I was only in a few feet of water on Saturday and I watched fish all day long swim right by my bait. Tried everything from different color tear drops to small pimples to waxworms, minnows, wigglers. Nothing would take it. Definately a strange but a proven trend. Find the crappy and getting crappier weather, and find fish. I'll start keeping a log and keep you guys up to date with what is produced. Being an engineer pretty much forces me on the path to study, experiment, log, analyze, and report all facets of my life. Why not actually put it to good use and become a better ice fisherman at the same time eh???

Offline jhookj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2010, 11:29 AM »
Appreciate all the feedback guys. From what I seen this weekend with the high pressure and clear skies, it is pretty much a good example of everything noted above. I was only in a few feet of water on Saturday and I watched fish all day long swim right by my bait. Tried everything from different color tear drops to small pimples to waxworms, minnows, wigglers. Nothing would take it. Definately a strange but a proven trend. Find the crappy and getting crappier weather, and find fish. I'll start keeping a log and keep you guys up to date with what is produced. Being an engineer pretty much forces me on the path to study, experiment, log, analyze, and report all facets of my life. Why not actually put it to good use and become a better ice fisherman at the same time eh???

Haha you engineers all have the same mentality.  :)

Offline engineeredtofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2010, 05:52 PM »
Of course hahaha.  ;)

Offline meandean

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2010, 06:48 PM »
   Weatherunderground.com gives baro rising and falling

Offline afishhawk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:21 PM »

Thanks - Nick

engineeredtofish

Do any of the barometric pressure sites offer a forcast or futurecast of the BP? I have not found any futurecast on the sites I normally use.
I am I strong believer how the barometric pressure affects the bite. There are other factors and exceptions to the rule. Your flasher will always tell you the behavior of the fish. Sometimes they will be "skittish" and easy spooked after seeing your jig and shoot down to the bottom, when they do bite it seems lite and more difficult to hook. This seems to correlate with higher steady Bp. Other times you will see the aggressive behavior, they will shoot up 3 to 4 feet and gulp the jig resulting in easy hooksets, swallowed and you have to tear there headoff to get it out. This seems to be when the BP is making rapid changes either up or down, more obvious when falling and below 30. It seems like slight changes in BP will trigger a bite during the daytime, and could also be moonrise or moonset. It may only last 10 to 20 minutes. Many times after a day on the ice I will check the BP graphs and be able to match bite times with BP changes. I feel the Moon phase,full moon, new moon, and moonrise, moonset play a big role in midday bites alsoalong with BP, and when they coincide with each other the bite is exceptional. Just me views. Does anyone have similar experience?

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2010, 10:38 PM »
wunderground has been my go to for years.  Put in the zip code for where you are fishing and it will give you a local PWS, personal weather station with hourly trends.
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.