The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Steelie time!!!!!!!!  (Read 23080 times)

Offline SquirrelHunterJay

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Steelie time!!!!!!!!
« Reply #210 on: Mar 07, 2009, 07:26 AM »
nice catch jose
Early to bed, early to rise, fish like heck and make up lies......

Offline blueyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #211 on: Mar 07, 2009, 08:39 AM »
Nice fish man. We went to pvt. land on the Kzoo and went 5/9 lots of action. Nice warm day and now more rain to mess up  the river again. still had fun it was our best day yet ;D
                    hunting for Ole marble eyes

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #212 on: Mar 08, 2009, 10:43 AM »
i fished a river yesterday went 1 for 3.nice hen released her if her eggs were loose i wouldve kept her for the fresh spawn.was kinda bummed ice is gone but o well its steelie time.caught quite a few suckers also

Offline Superior cisco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #213 on: Mar 08, 2009, 05:03 PM »
Heres one that I caught today. went 2 for 3 today. returned the other and kept her.                                                                                                                                                           [url][(Image removed from quote.)/url]

Pretty.............I mean the fish of course............ ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #214 on: Mar 08, 2009, 07:38 PM »
2-6 today.... I was off BIG time today. I only hooked 1 fish, lost it after a pretty good battle..  Budd hooked 5 and landed 2.  Man it was wet out there! Sure glad i bought that new rain gear!

Offline iceman29

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time for anther drink
« Reply #215 on: Mar 08, 2009, 08:35 PM »
Sorry vexy didnt awn i was watching the race and phone was on vib ;D

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #216 on: Mar 08, 2009, 09:05 PM »
Yea ice... wat happend to fishin today?

Offline iceman29

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time for anther drink
« Reply #217 on: Mar 08, 2009, 09:37 PM »
I didnt think it would be worth a crap it just stoped raining here about an hour ago :'(

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #218 on: Mar 08, 2009, 09:59 PM »
mud if you read this howd you do friday?  any fish?  I thought about callin ya, but i was on the river from 730 am- 4 PM

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #219 on: Mar 08, 2009, 10:04 PM »
0-0 For 1 1/2 I was there. Louis tiered out so I had to go. Did watch two get caught during that time though. Water was like choclate though.

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #220 on: Mar 08, 2009, 10:05 PM »
we fished there today.  I figured ud run into some chocolate milk.........

Offline Jose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #221 on: Mar 09, 2009, 03:28 PM »
Anybody ever do any pier fishing for steelies? I think I'm going to try it out for the first time tomorrow since the river is going to be pretty much f'ed for a while. If anyone has any tips it would be appreciated.

Offline IceArmorGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #222 on: Mar 09, 2009, 07:01 PM »
I see guys on the Grand Haven pier all the time im just not really sure on what there using. Ive never really fished for steelies before so i dont know to much about it. Im more of a bass fisherman

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #223 on: Mar 09, 2009, 07:03 PM »
most guys use the same technique off the pier as they do in the rivers, drifting spawn either on the bottom or under a float.

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #224 on: Mar 09, 2009, 07:30 PM »
Main line to a swivel. You put a pyramid sinker on the main line and a bead above the swivel so the sinker doesnt go past it but still moves freely on the line. Tie your leader to the other end of the swivel and use spawn with a couple floaters in it. When you cast it out reel the swivel back to the sinker so that your line is tight and just wait...
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline Jose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #225 on: Mar 09, 2009, 07:49 PM »
Do I have to use a pyramid sinker? I have a bunch of bigger slip sinkers that I could tie onto the mainline

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #226 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:06 PM »
I dont think it would matter what kind on sinker you use as long as your line can slide through it.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #227 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:51 PM »
Id be worried about runnin the sinker off the main line through the sinker eye....  You get any knicks in that eye and its gonna tear your line up pretty bad.   

Put a snap swivel on your main line, then your bead, then barrel swivel. Then leader and hook and spawn with floaters.  This way your sinker is still sliding along your main line but not through the sinker eye.  Just a precaution step to take. Same technique as CP explained, just another way to set it up.  Pyramid, circle or stick lead wont make no difference, as long as you have a heavy enough weight so that it holds in the current.

Offline Jose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #228 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:54 PM »
That does make sense about the sinker nicking the line, I suppose I will just use a pyramid sinker then. Might try fishing with a float too. Thanks for the input guys!

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #229 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:56 PM »
if you dont understand it let me know. 1 of my spin rods in my room is settup the way I and CP just explained.  I can take a pic of it for ya and post it if you dont understand.

Offline Jose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #230 on: Mar 09, 2009, 09:07 PM »
I got it, no picture needed. What are your feelings on flourocarbon leaders? good to have? Absolute necessity?

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #231 on: Mar 09, 2009, 09:23 PM »
Depends on how you're fishin jose.... 

Flouro carbon is very abrasion resistant and a solid matter.  It does not absorb water line mono does making it stronger in the long run.  Mono is very sensitive to the rays from the sun and can become britle if in the sun too long.  FLouro has a good name b/c of its low visibility in the water and the diameter of flouro is comparable to the same size line of mono... f.e 8 lb flouro is a thinnner diameter than 8 lb mono.

Mono absorbs water which in time weakens the line and can turn a 10 lb line into an 8 lb line the longer you use it. but.... Flouro has more memory than mono does, which is why i only use flouro carbon as a leader material and not main fishing line.

Gamma is my choice for leader line when fishing the grand.  When im fly fishing on smaller rivers, or even spin fishing on smaller rivers which are normally really clean rivers i use maxima as a leader material.  Hope this helped.

Offline Jose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #232 on: Mar 09, 2009, 10:01 PM »
I just wanted to say thanks again for letting me pick your brains guys! It's funny that I feel more comfortable asking questions about steelie fishin on an Ice fishing site as opposed to a site that dedicated to it...(M-S) haha

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #233 on: Mar 09, 2009, 10:05 PM »
Ask away Jose. Gotta start somewhere.

Offline chadbob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #234 on: Mar 09, 2009, 10:07 PM »
It looks like there are more of us posting here than on the other site
WHY ARE US MICHIGAN GUYS STILL ON THIS SITE, WE KNOW WHERE THE REAL INFORMATION IS

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #235 on: Mar 09, 2009, 10:11 PM »
Did you get my PM chad?

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #236 on: Mar 09, 2009, 10:14 PM »
Thats what fellow fisherman are for jose. I set up the same way as mentioned. They make sliders for the weights so you dont have to worry about the weight runing up and down your line. Try casting cleos and rapala's while your out there. Good luck to you.

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #237 on: Mar 10, 2009, 04:41 PM »
Went today very slow. Went 1 for 1. A nice female about 8 pounds. Released her back to spawn. Come on Rain!!!!!!!

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #238 on: Mar 10, 2009, 05:13 PM »
Come get ours flag... Rain is screwin me up!!!!!  If you got half our rain the rivers up there would be blown out too.

Offline Jose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #239 on: Mar 10, 2009, 05:14 PM »
Went out on the pier today with a buddy, didn't even get a hit. Fished from 10:30-3:00. There was one other group of guys and they said they had got one just before we got out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.