The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Steelie time!!!!!!!!  (Read 23076 times)

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
Re: Steelie time!!!!!!!!
« Reply #90 on: Feb 20, 2009, 11:07 AM »
They do a good job of keeping things peachy around here  ;D .........SEE YA, I'm off to Crystal again  8)
Good luck out there.

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #91 on: Feb 20, 2009, 07:38 PM »
I went out today. Went 1 for 3. pretty slow. But did catch a nice hen.. I did the right thing and returned her even though I need spawn. oh well there will be more.

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #92 on: Feb 20, 2009, 07:46 PM »
GOOD TO HEAR FLAG!!! Even better to hear ya turned her back loose!!  I coyote hunted today for about 9 hrs, killed 2 yoties, and had a 3rd one goin for about 4 hrs, he got shot 4 times but never could catch up with em. I had em at 90 yrds and had the crosshairs on em but had the top of someones house in the scope of my rifle... Had to let em run over the hill couldnt take the shot.  Either tomarrow or sunday i'll be heading back out.

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #93 on: Feb 20, 2009, 08:11 PM »
GOOD TO HEAR FLAG!!! Even better to hear ya turned her back loose!!  I coyote hunted today for about 9 hrs, killed 2 yoties, and had a 3rd one goin for about 4 hrs, he got shot 4 times but never could catch up with em. I had em at 90 yrds and had the crosshairs on em but had the top of someones house in the scope of my rifle... Had to let em run over the hill couldnt take the shot.  Either tomarrow or sunday i'll be heading back out.
Good deal, when does season close on the yotes?

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #94 on: Feb 20, 2009, 08:40 PM »
Pretty much when the snow goes away flag....  Fox closes march 1st, you can pretty much kill the yotes year round, even when the season is closed you can still kill em if they are doing or about to do damage.  They're always about to do damage so it dont matter...  I couldnt tell ya for a fact wen the hunting season is closed.  I think its April 15-July 15 when you cant hunt em for fur, but during that period you can still damage hunt them.

Offline Jose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #95 on: Feb 21, 2009, 12:49 AM »
What are your guys thought on keeping steelhead? I've been reading some steelheading forums and a lot of guys have a real problem when people post pictures of steels on a stringer. Seems pretty crazy to me at least...

Offline bluenose30

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #96 on: Feb 21, 2009, 12:53 AM »
they taste pretty good, but not my fav fish. nothing wrong w/ keeping a couple for the table bud. we like em smoked or grilled.

Offline SquirrelHunterJay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Feb 21, 2009, 12:55 AM »
i usually will only keep one of two a year for the grill.  salmon is a different story thats when my smoker gets a workout
Early to bed, early to rise, fish like heck and make up lies......

Offline Jose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #98 on: Feb 21, 2009, 01:33 AM »
Blackened Steelhead is pretty amazing if you've never tried it.

Offline 52niner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Feb 21, 2009, 05:33 AM »
I keep a hen for spawn but only if it's early when it's still skein , otherwise I use the eggs I get from salmon fishin. Steelhead is great blackened . But I really like it smoked. I don't think it's the greatest either fried or baked. Especially down here in Southeast MI I have the utmost respect for steelhead and feel blessed I can go 5 minutes from my house and have a pretty good shot at catching steelies so most go back in the river.
"Beer is living proof that there is a God and he wants us to be happy." Ben Franklin

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #100 on: Feb 21, 2009, 05:52 AM »
Pretty much when the snow goes away flag....  Fox closes march 1st, you can pretty much kill the yotes year round, even when the season is closed you can still kill em if they are doing or about to do damage.  They're always about to do damage so it dont matter...  I couldnt tell ya for a fact wen the hunting season is closed.  I think its April 15-July 15 when you cant hunt em for fur, but during that period you can still damage hunt them.
I keep about a quarter of what I catch. them wife and kid love to eat them so it doesnt go to waste.

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #101 on: Feb 21, 2009, 01:42 PM »
I keek em I see nothing wrong with it as long as it doesnt go to waste! I love it on the grill!
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline Jose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Feb 21, 2009, 03:10 PM »
And the kicker was the thread I was reading was about a kid who caught his first steelhead on a fly rod. He was so excited to show everyone his catch and they just tore him apart. It was kinda sad to see.

Offline crosscobra

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Give em the beans
« Reply #103 on: Feb 21, 2009, 03:14 PM »
And the kicker was the thread I was reading was about a kid who caught his first steelhead on a fly rod. He was so excited to show everyone his catch and they just tore him apart. It was kinda sad to see.

well that wasn;t on this site.. that was on ms.com and that site is well known for its bashing of good sportsmen
"Huddle round the shanty momma, Put a good buzz on!"

Offline Jose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #104 on: Feb 21, 2009, 03:27 PM »
The thread I saw wasn't on MS but they are pretty br00tal over there too.

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #105 on: Feb 21, 2009, 05:20 PM »
I dont like to see stringers of dead steelies personally. Im not gonna bash or rip into anyone for keeping them, you have just as much of a right to keep them as I do to turn em back loose. Its more of a personal preference.  I've kept em before, and will keep 1 or 2 males a year and smoke em for grandpa.  He really likes smoke salmon/steelhead and he's to old to get out anymore, so i'll keep 1 or 2 for him.  Other than that they all get turned back loose, unless they're too beat up after a long brutal fight to swim off, in that case i'll keep em on the stringer watching the gills and let em lay in the water to see if he'll come back around. If they do i turn em loose, if they dont they go in grandpa's belly!

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #106 on: Feb 21, 2009, 05:37 PM »
I love steelie fishing too.
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline SquirrelHunterJay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Feb 21, 2009, 08:28 PM »
nice fish guys
Early to bed, early to rise, fish like heck and make up lies......

Offline 52niner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Feb 22, 2009, 01:30 AM »
Before this gets into one of those MS posts the law is the law. You really can't question someone with a limit because to be honest. Half the guys I worry about keeping more then their limit or keeping everything they catch regardless of size can't catch steelies half the time cause they suck at catching steelies.
"Beer is living proof that there is a God and he wants us to be happy." Ben Franklin

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #109 on: Feb 22, 2009, 06:53 AM »
I have friends who smoke them. I keep one for them , but I only eat walleye. Fall and spring are great because I can fish for both.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #110 on: Feb 22, 2009, 07:31 AM »
i keep 1 ripe female for spawn and a couple for the smoker.i dont like the taste of them all that much.

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #111 on: Feb 22, 2009, 10:25 AM »
Bass head here also for smallies!!!!  What waters do ya fish DGB?
I Fish st.clair, erie, traverse bays & other lakes in this area & gull my home lake

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #112 on: Feb 22, 2009, 12:05 PM »
Is Gull a good smallie lake???  I dont have lots of big water.... Lake Skegmog, traverse, Elk RIver, TOrch RIver, Muskegon, White.  A few other smaller lakes in Kalkaska where we catch bunch of smallies every year.  I might have to try GUll out sometime. Is she tough water to figure out? 

I never questioned anyone 52.

Offline The Splash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #113 on: Feb 22, 2009, 12:20 PM »
 First off..... We pay for a fishing lisence. That gives us the right to keep what we want (within the law). I like how vex said your right to keep is just like his right to release. I refuse to even go on ms.com due to most of the threads being like what was mentioned earlier.
 It's cold and I'm a drive from steelhead, keep up with the pics so I can get motivated.
   Tonight.....  CLUTCH concert! Pumped! after that I'm back to thinking fishing.

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #114 on: Feb 22, 2009, 12:48 PM »
Is Gull a good smallie lake???  I dont have lots of big water.... Lake Skegmog, traverse, Elk RIver, TOrch RIver, Muskegon, White.  A few other smaller lakes in Kalkaska where we catch bunch of smallies every year.  I might have to try GUll out sometime. Is she tough water to figure out? 

I never questioned anyone 52.
I have fished many of the lakes in the traverse bay area also, skegmog, elk, torch, charlevoix, intermediate, burt & mullet to name a few....none of the lakes you mention seem small to me. I would call intermediate small. Never fished white. Where do you live?

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #115 on: Feb 22, 2009, 01:09 PM »
South of Grand Rapids about 20 minutes DGB.  Ya ever fished Big Twin, or Starvation in Kalkaska??  I've been on Burt and Mullet before also.  I would say tho out of all those lakes Skegmog is by FAR my favorite one!!! I love it, we go up there over Memorial weekend and bass fish 4 days strait stopping only to sleep, wouldnt do that if we could stay awake for 96 hrs strait.  Fish all the shallow wood with crank baits.  Water is so clear there you can see the fish ear the cranks.  Catch smallies all day long up there! Great place to be!!!!

Offline Jose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Feb 22, 2009, 04:59 PM »
Its good to hear you are all pretty level headed!

Kinda pissed, the launch I use has froze up again and there was ice floes coming down the river. Gonna be some more time til i get out...damn...

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #117 on: Feb 22, 2009, 05:03 PM »
Uhhhh Yea, we went and looked at 6th street today, there was so much ice flowing down that river it woulda been impossible in most spots to get a drift through... Then talk about fighting a fish.......  We ended up going to a different river and fished there for a few hours, didnt touch a fish, but i did see my 1st ever full grown bald eagle!!!

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #118 on: Feb 22, 2009, 05:58 PM »

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #119 on: Feb 22, 2009, 09:13 PM »
South of Grand Rapids about 20 minutes DGB.  Ya ever fished Big Twin, or Starvation in Kalkaska??  I've been on Burt and Mullet before also.  I would say tho out of all those lakes Skegmog is by FAR my favorite one!!! I love it, we go up there over Memorial weekend and bass fish 4 days strait stopping only to sleep, wouldnt do that if we could stay awake for 96 hrs strait.  Fish all the shallow wood with crank baits.  Water is so clear there you can see the fish ear the cranks.  Catch smallies all day long up there! Great place to be!!!!
Just got back from gull. Walked 2 miles drilled 20 holes, 7 smelt.......marked them good for 2 hours and only caught 7 smelt..I sucked....tried all my usuall rigs I have caught them on many time before.....oh well good cardio. Never did real well on skegmog allt hough I know it is good....never fished it that early....always went to charelovix that time.....maybe I sill you next weekend at gull!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.