The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: muskie and pike bait for kinzua???????  (Read 1022 times)

Offline charger7022

• Team IceShanty Regular
muskie and pike bait for kinzua???????
« on: Jan 28, 2019, 08:10 AM »
looking to try kinzua for the first time and wondering what would provide me with the best opportunity for catching big fish. I heard trout and suckers just looking for a few recommendations.  thanks

Offline fisher 74

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: muskie and pike bait for kinzua???????
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2019, 08:45 AM »
you got it, trout and suckers get them 8-15 inches long put them out dead or alive sometimes dead is better and be very patcient

Offline Outdoors365

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2019, 12:11 PM »
Use circle hooks.   

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2019, 12:36 PM »
you got it, trout and suckers get them 8-15 inches long put them out dead or alive sometimes dead is better and be very patcient

Sounds good to me! If you can catch 'em fresh and use 'em right away (alive or dead) that's even better. Skip the circles as they are inconsistent performers on toothy critters and roll with a quick strike. Don't wait, if the line is moving tighten up and pull the string.

FWIW I like to bob deads under a wind tipup (HT Windlass). Sometimes they like it just hanging there but it seems more often a little motion is more attractive.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2019, 03:33 PM »
My general rule for fishing in any body of water is to try to go native.  Basically, if you see something swimming in a body of water, something is probably eating it.  I've never fished Kinzua specifically but I've had a lot of success using perch for toothy critters and other large predatory fish as well.  I can just about assure you that if there are members of the esox family swimming in a body of water and it has perch, the pickerel, pike and even muskies are eating them.  Even during open water, perch-colored lures always perform well for me.  Jig up a few and put them out on a tip up.  Just remember to check the size and creel limits for the lake you are fishing. Any fish you keep, even for bait must meet minimum size requirements and counts toward your creel limit. 

Offline fisher 74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2019, 10:01 PM »
use treble hook let them swallow it and have a tasty meal

Offline charger7022

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2019, 10:50 AM »
thanks for all the great info guys?  is there any crazy regulations I have to worry about with double treble hook rigs here In pa???

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2019, 10:54 AM »
Nope, just no more than 5 lines per person.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2019, 11:09 AM »
thanks for all the great info guys?  is there any crazy regulations I have to worry about with double treble hook rigs here In pa???
in my machinations,i purposed to use a trot line effect on my tipups like a foot or too apart with multiple tipped with bait hooks  ::) never got around toit
GOD BLESS
Mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2019, 11:47 AM »
Quick strike rigs with two trebles are OK but I think there is a limit of two hooks per line in PA.  Treble hooks only count as 1 hook.  I think the intent of the regulation is to keep people from running trot lines. So... 1MOFISH, I would continue to procrastinate on that trot line initiative if I were you...

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2019, 11:54 AM »
This is copied right off of the website!!!

ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT – It is unlawful while ice fishing to use more than five fishing devices, which may consist of rods, hand lines, tip-ups or any combination. Each device shall contain a single fishing line with no restriction on the number of hooks used for fishing, except when fishing in the Pymatuning Reservoir where no more than three hooks shall be attached to each line. Holes cut in ice may not exceed 10 inches between the farthest points as measured in any direction. All lines, rods or tip-ups shall be under the immediate control of the person using them. On Fish & Boat Commission lakes, shelters or shanties must be removed when through fishing for the day.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline boatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2019, 12:26 PM »
I would not be using treble hooks for a fish species with a size limit it'll be too hard to release, and hard on a fish you need to release.

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2019, 12:58 PM »
I stand corrected! Thanks for the clarification Stickhick86.

Offline charger7022

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2019, 01:42 PM »
I stand corrected! Thanks for the clarification Stickhick86.
    ive looked at many videos of quick strike rigs and they claim if rigged right its super easy to release the fish even with treble hooks.  the whole idea of the quick strike rig is to only hook them in the lip and to not let the fish swallow the hook. 

Offline Flatheadcat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2019, 01:43 PM »
use treble hook let them swallow it and have a tasty meal

So you are ok with guy hooking undersized fish?

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2019, 02:24 PM »
I am totally in agreement that we should do whatever we can to avoid gut-hooking fish.  When I am ice fishing, I watch my tip ups like a hawk so I think my response time is probably 30 seconds or so from when a flag trips.  I do use trebles and quick strikes for larger baits on my tip ups and can't remember the last time I gut-hooked a fish.  In fact, I find that the quick strike rigs help me to avoid gut hooking and land fish cleanly.  Of course, even if you use a single hook you can still gut hook a fish if you aren't paying attention.  I've seen flags pop on tip ups and nobody retrieves them for 5 minutes or more.  Those fish are almost certainly gut hooked.  I guess if you can't get to the fish quickly, the best option is to just use circle hooks.   

Offline Tom7541

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2019, 04:45 PM »
Give hot dogs a try check out the videos on youtube

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.