Author Topic: WHO'S READY!  (Read 6423 times)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
WHO'S READY!
« on: Oct 12, 2005, 04:22 PM »
Folks!
Anyone ready for the 05 season? ???  The slough behind the workplace is frozen solid, and the ponds all have skim ice.  MAN, I AM EXCITED! ;D ;D  May be fishing by next week?  Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

grumpymoe

Re: WHO'S READY!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2005, 04:36 PM »
You luck dawg!!!....er....Barleydog!!!!....hope this season is great for everyone up in Alaska....looking forward to some early pics Jim....Grump :thumbsup:

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2005, 11:04 AM »
Barleydog, how's the ice shaping up ????/

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2005, 11:08 AM »
I couldn't tell you Mongo!  I've been stuck at work fror the past week, and can't find time after work due to darkness.  My buddy went out and struck out... But!  He made it out on 4" of ice 3" in some spots. :-\  Kinda questionable eh?
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2005, 11:24 AM »
Maybe it is good that you are stuck in work, let the ice get a little thicker

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2005, 12:30 PM »
You gotta be getting close.  I brought up the forecast for North Pole, AK on Accuweater.com and it is freezing up there.  Lows in the single digits and negative numbers.  You lucky dog.  ;D
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2005, 11:01 PM »
You guys are so lucky, can't wait for the day Im back up there.     

It doesn't matter if you didn't catch anything as long as you had fun.

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2005, 04:44 PM »
My family and I just returned last nite after two weeks in Wisconsin.  I was excited to see that the lakes have frozen over.  My buddy told me that the larger lakes still are not completely frozen but the weather is looking good.  During our trip outside I was able to stop by the Beaver Dam Tip Up Corp and take a little tour.  All those tip ups!!!!  Flags everywhere you looked.  The sad part was all of the warm weather down there.  Hopefully I'll be able to get out within the next few days to give a better report on the local conditions.

Icy Mike

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2005, 11:12 AM »
IcyMike,
Is the factory in Beaver Dam or somewhere else?  Would be a great place for a tour, I'm jealous!  Was raised not to far from there.  Did you pick up any tip-ups cheap? :tip up:  Weather "up-north" is turning cold quick.  We are forecasted for below zero temps this week.  Went out this weekend for a little while, but the ice was making such a god awful noise I got the heck off of it!  Guess the clincher was the "BOOM" followed by a crevice going through my hole. :o  Thought I'd go for a swim!  3" of ice is not my idea of fun! :-\
TEAM ALASKA

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2005, 02:12 PM »
went this weekend to the Tanana with my fiance...she lost one and we got skunked...the place we wanted to fish was open water and the river was still flowing, but i mannaged to find 5 inches of ice.  yeah we're kinda crazy.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2005, 02:21 PM »
5 inches, heck that is go time for me!  Where I live we usually measure our ice in inches all winter and not feet.  When we get 5 or 6 inches around here it is a mad exodus to get on the ice.   ;D  Good to see you have ice already and send some of that cold to the Northeast. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline KGrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2005, 09:25 PM »
Iced a burbot at Fielding Lake last weekend.

2" on saturday, 4" on sunday. 

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2005, 12:06 PM »
Hey Farmer Grant,  Where are you located?  Fielding is a blast!  Didn't realize there was already 4" on it!  How far out did you go from the launch site?
TEAM ALASKA

Offline KGrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 03, 2005, 03:50 PM »
I'm in Fairbanks.  We were out near the beaverhouse, maybe 100 yards off shore. 

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 03, 2005, 09:35 PM »
Know the spot Grant, caught a few lakers in and around that area.  Is the whole lake froze or is the point 1/2 mile from the hut open?  Two years ago it was open late and I almost lost a snowmachine in it!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline KGrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 04, 2005, 12:20 AM »
whole lake is froze.  the west side of the lake from the point to the cabins is prone to overflow, never seen it open though.  what time of year was it?  6 or 7 years ago my dad about put his machine in a hole that was on the east side of the lake, almost in front of the cabin with the windmill.  it was a hole about 3'x3', water about 20' deep.  The ice right up to the hole was 3' thick.  musta been a hell of a spring there!  It wasn't a man made hole.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 04, 2005, 01:27 PM »
December around Xmas...  Was probably a spring.
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Kodiak Commando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 06, 2005, 02:39 AM »
I'm certainly ready but still have to wait! The float plane lake in the middle of town which i fish a lot has a thin layer of ice on it but it should be fishable in a week.

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 06, 2005, 12:35 PM »
Most of the small lakes in the Mat-Su area have been ready for a week.  I went out to Finger lake last Monday and there was about 5 inches (I only went about 20 feet from shore).  The problem has been the wind.  Calm and cold all week until Friday- and of course that is my day off.  It is now Sunday and the wind is still blowing but not as hard.  It also started to snow.  Hopefully this coming Friday I'll be out.  Any one care to tag along?

Icy Mike

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 06, 2005, 08:59 PM »
Icymike,
Your going on Friday eh? 8)  Where and how thicks the ice in Anchoragua?   

Got out again yesterday for a little while and iced a couple smaller char, no pics due to the batteries going belly up in the camera.  Man if I were a we bit healthier this weekend, I'd sat on the bucket for more than an hour. :-[  Got this horrid crud going around work, just my luck having muscle aches.  Did see a nice cross fox work the shore line.  Caught about 5 voles and munched them up one by one!  Man it's making ice fast up here @ -24 we have  6-7" on the little lakes and firm. ;D  Hope everyone is doing well!  -Barleydog     
TEAM ALASKA

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #20 on: Nov 08, 2005, 01:13 PM »
Jim,

Man am I jealous !!  already on the ice....Man your a lucky group of guy's.  I'm still waiting on the offical dates for the flight up there and will keep you informed.  -24 degrees??  Man I'll have to strip the grease off the 22-250 just to get it to shoot  ;D  Cross fox beware 8) 8)

Take care Jim, give that dog of yours a pat on the head for me.

Steve
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/icefishpics/albums/userpics/2-18-08_001c.jpg

Sure the Marines are a Department of the Navy, We're the MENS DEPERTMENT!!!!

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 08, 2005, 02:45 PM »
He's patted!  Man the fox this year are crazy!  Bring your long jons!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline beerthirty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2005, 12:31 PM »
I am jealous of you guys! Heck we have not a week of cold weather yet? THIS SUCKS!
got fish? got beer? anyone see dr beam?

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 10, 2005, 05:38 PM »
we only got down to 29 here one night i don't think we are going to have a winter here in wisconsin.  but im ready for sure

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 10, 2005, 08:11 PM »
Hey Jim,

went to one of the local lakes with the kids after school and drilled a couple of holes.  The ice was a solid 8 inches.  I'm gonna take the kids in the morning for a few hours.  the kids are excited (but not as much as I am).

I try to report after the action. 

Icy Mike

Offline SHAMEN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 12, 2005, 11:42 AM »
Hey guys...Down here in Pennsylvania and I am looking for some help from ya up there.  My brother is based up in Anchorage (Air Force) and he has done some ice fishing on the lakes on base.  I am looking to get up this Jan / February for my first trip to AK.  Can anyone offer any suggestions of places to hit?  Any where with pike ?  I need to see what you guys have up there.  All the pics he sends down here look awesome.  He will be heading BACK to the sh*t hole of Iraq in March and want to get some time in with him before he heads off.  Let me know what you guys think.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #26 on: Nov 12, 2005, 01:21 PM »
SHAMEN, 
Your bro's a wingnut, good for him!  Seeing that I have put on a pair of blues myself, I'd be more than glad to chime in.  I used to frequent the lakes on Elmo quite a bit.  Most of them are quite small with an ample supply of rainbows, salmon, char, and grayling....  I'd tell you to keep it simple, but if your a "gadget guy" that may be tough!  "Glow in the dark" jigs, small bead heads, 2 lb. line, light, light, light!  Pike are pretty much the same as anywhere else, except you'll be using dead herring for bait which can be found at the wally world, Sportsman's Warehouse, etc...  Use the basic quick strike rig or jig with large Swedish pimple, jigging rap, or cabelas casting spoons, (white is KILLER!)  The best bet on base would be to call base Natural Resources office and find out which lakes stand the best chance for the fish you want to target.  They'll tell you if the fish are smallish, or big and few between.  They will also steer you away from lakes that are closed and or off limits.  Since they change from year to year, I'd be a terrible guide so I wouldn't want to steer you wrong.  Local lakes can be fantastic!  Has been a while since I'd tromped on a MatSu ice sheet, that's where ICY MIKE would come in. ;)2  Several LOCAL lakes I had fished with good success were; Otter, Six Mile, Big, Jewel, and Mirror.  For a local pike lake, I like Fire lake. 
Hope that helps?  Here's praying your brother stays out of harms way.  What better way to have meaningful time together!

Mike,
How'd your trip with the kids go?  Have you fished Big Lake yet?
-Jim
TEAM ALASKA

Offline SHAMEN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 12, 2005, 06:12 PM »
Thanks Barley.. I appreciate your help.  A lot

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #28 on: Nov 15, 2005, 03:03 PM »
Hey guys, my names Kyle. Just moved up here from wyoming a couple months ago. Love ice fishing.  Went to South Golly lake in Nancy lake rec area last week had some luck on some rainbows but no pike.  Want to head to Big lake this weekend, what do the dollies usually bite on there, and whats a good area to fish on the lake.
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline beerthirty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Nov 16, 2005, 10:58 AM »
Being from PA i do not know much about Alaska fishing. But wanted to ask how big do those Dollies usually get? What all do you guys usually fish for through the ice?
got fish? got beer? anyone see dr beam?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.